My FatBob diet. Thinking of going carbon fiber or other options.

Started by N-gin, November 25, 2014, 02:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-gin

Looking to find info on locating some carbon fiber option or just going lighter.
Items include brake and clutch levers, 18x3.75 wheel (front), front fender,  and possibly different brake setup.
For 09 FatBob
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

DOM

I was thinking about that hypothetically; How light could  you make a softtail or touring bike?  How much weight could be saved if you really went all out?  Carbon fiber wheels and brake rotors save a bit.  Which where you looking to get, how much are they and what are you looking to achieve? 

ThumperDeuce

I've dropped my Deuce down 70 lbs to about 600 lbs.  Carbon fiber wheels, composite rotors, lithium battery were the quick weight drops.  Lightening the wheel set and counter balancers subtracted a little.  Rotational mass is always good to go after. 

Added:  A much lighter than stock exhaust system.
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

N-gin

BST has no design I'm interested in plus they don't offer 18 in.
I was doing a search and found some nice rolling sands....do you think these will be lighter?
I would like to find a front carbon fiber fender.

I had the front wheel off and man it was heavy I could have sworn it must have weighed 40 pounds.
My goal is to cut @ least 15 pounds off the front.
Are ceramic bearings lighter?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

ThumperDeuce

The ceramic bearings are lighter.  I put them in primarily because it looks like they roll with much less resistance.

PoorUB

Anyone make a titanium exhaust for Harleys? I have a Yamaha R1 with a titanium exhaust and I would bet the whole exhaust with the muffler weighs 5 pounds. The heat shields on my Ultra probably weight as much!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

04 SE Deuce

BST rep. at the Long Beach show weekend before last told me they were going to be adding some more needed sizes of Harley application wheels.

I would bet that big heavy front fender acts like a fork brace of sorts.  A nice aluminum fork brace with carbon fender might work.

Lighter wheels and taking weight off the forks is a plus.

Thump,  I have a set of race car scales,  my bike with the Harley rear luggage rack/backrest and leather bag with hardly anything in it and approx. 3.3 - 3.5 gallons of fuel weighs 722lbs.   Rick

CraigArizona85248

I'm all about weight reduction.

1949 Harley-Dividson FL - stock weight 580 pounds
[attach=0]

After a crash diet to remove unnecessary bling - weight 400 pounds

ThumperDeuce

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on November 25, 2014, 12:34:53 PM
BST rep. at the Long Beach show weekend before last told me they were going to be adding some more needed sizes of Harley application wheels.

I would bet that big heavy front fender acts like a fork brace of sorts.  A nice aluminum fork brace with carbon fender might work.

Lighter wheels and taking weight off the forks is a plus.

Thump,  I have a set of race car scales,  my bike with the Harley rear luggage rack/backrest and leather bag with hardly anything in it and approx. 3.3 - 3.5 gallons of fuel weighs 722lbs.   Rick

Before I did the Lithium battery, stainless pipe and open primary I had Otto put it on his drag bike scales and I think that it was right around 630.  So with these last changes I should be just over 600lb.

m1marty

My 11 RK Police is just a little over 700lbs (about 730ish with a few gallons in the tank) The Street Stalker fender was a nice piece and weighs next to nothing. Ive stripped most everything off of it and replaced a fair bit with lighter stuff without getting too crazy. Makes for a fun bike. Lithium battery is next.....
OFFO

76shuvlinoff

All I can say is good luck, it'll be interesting to see where you end up. I don't know this as fact but I think my 12 Ultra ready to roll has gotta be in the neighborhood of (850?) before I throw a leg over.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

gordonr

I believe there is and old rule of thumb, for every 10 lbs removed there is a gain of about a 100th of sec off your time in the quarter!
"If was easy everyone would do it"

PoorUB

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 25, 2014, 03:49:06 PM
All I can say is good luck, it'll be interesting to see where you end up. I don't know this as fact but I think my 12 Ultra ready to roll has gotta be in the neighborhood of (850?) before I throw a leg over.

Mark

Pretty sure you can add 100 pounds to that weight.

splitting_lanes

One of the cheapest ways to shave 5.5 lbs is to change the battery out for a lithium.

Plus, the battery is weight that's high up on the bike....  i noticed the difference pushing the bike into the garage.  YMMV

76shuvlinoff

Quote from: PoorUB on November 25, 2014, 04:48:14 PM

Mark

I'm pretty sure I add considerably more than 100 lbs to that weight

I know, shut up Mark.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

Not all weight is equal.

Five pounds of the total weight is inconsequential. Five pounds of un-sprung and or rotating weight, thats huge.

Aside from the exotic batteries, CF wheels, etc. Try swapping from a 16" to an 18" rear wheel, maybe a composite rotor and titanium hardware in the caliper, belt guard and any other non critical fastener. Good things will happen.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

FBobPilot

I swapped out the rear stock Fat Bob 12" shocks for 13" Works Black Trackers and saved 3 lbs.
2012 Fat Bob 107"

N-gin

Lol, I must have added 15 pounds of weight with the borezilla pipe. I like the borezilla a lot but I might have to toss it to save weight.
The shocks sound like a good idea.
Defiantly looking into ceramic bearings.
I do have a Super brace from the group buy. So the front fender I can go carbon fiber (if I can loctate one)
I wonder if they make CF handlebars? Do you think that's possible with the threads in the bottom? :scratch:

build it

Quote from: N-gin on November 25, 2014, 08:00:55 PM
I wonder if they make CF handlebars? Do you think that's possible with the threads in the bottom? :scratch:

That is a very cool idea!
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

PoorUB

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on November 25, 2014, 05:11:57 PM
Quote from: PoorUB on November 25, 2014, 04:48:14 PM

Mark

I'm pretty sure I add considerably more than 100 lbs to that weight

I know, shut up Mark.

LOL! Not picking on ya, but a oiled and fueled up 2012 Ultra is right at 900 pounds, I thought it was more. No idea how much weight your carcass adds to it.

N-gin

Anyone know the number to Krause racing?
These guys have titanium sproket and chain. Would like to talk with them a bit and get some info. However the number seems to be out of service  :scratch:
The number I have is 630-513-1000

m1marty

Quote from: N-gin on November 29, 2014, 01:21:33 AM
Anyone know the number to Krause racing?
These guys have titanium sproket and chain. Would like to talk with them a bit and get some info. However the number seems to be out of service  :scratch:
The number I have is 630-513-1000
yup. 1-800-dont-use. The chains are garbage. Fast stretch and make a lot of racket in short order. Surprised it didnt break. Ek zzz is all I will personally use. The lifetime guarantee ti-moly sprocket, while holding up great, is tank heavy.
OFFO

N-gin

So I take it its not actual titanium. I kind of thought that after I saw the light price tag with the word titanium in it.

m1marty

Quote from: N-gin on November 29, 2014, 10:51:12 AM
So I take it its not actual titanium. I kind of thought that after I saw the light price tag with the word titanium in it.
I would say not. We are having them make some custom ones for us(they are doing great with our orders and specs I might add) but again- they are heavy. Ill weigh one on tuesday for you if youd like. These are the ti-moly II sprockets with the lifetime warranty. As it sits we have a couple bikes putting anywhere from 100ish hp/tq to 120s hp/tq and a bunch of miles later they are still looking good.
OFFO

N-gin

OK that's sounds like a great idea to weigh them.
I ordered a 54 tooth rear sprocket from PBI. I'll post the weight of the PBI.