May 06, 2024, 01:51:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

watts vs horsepower.

Started by Phu Cat, March 17, 2009, 06:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phu Cat

Was readin the thread about CB's and those that ran a little extra oomph.  So.....if it takes 75HP to move your bike 100MPHit should take 300HP to move the same bike 200MPH. 

Will quadrouple the CB output only double how far the signal will carry (under similar conditions of course)?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

specialx1

i got a headache now!!!! :crook:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

truck

My CB is faster than your CB. :smilep:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

codyshop

Quote from: Phu Cat on March 17, 2009, 06:45:05 PM
Was readin the thread about CB's and those that ran a little extra oomph.  So.....if it takes 75HP to move your bike 100MPHit should take 300HP to move the same bike 200MPH. 

Will quadrouple the CB output only double how far the signal will carry (under similar conditions of course)?

PC

No, because unlike a moving bike there is no "wind resistance".  Radio waves always travel at 186,000 miles per second so more power won't get it there any faster...it will simply be able to go farther.  All things being equal, 4x the power will give you approximately 4x the range.  There are other variables such as weather and antenna height, but for the most part an equal increas in power will result in an equal increase in range.  At least with AM (which cb's are).  Ray

nc-renegade

Quote from: codyshop on March 17, 2009, 07:36:12 PM
There are other variables such as weather and antenna height, but for the most part an equal increas in power will result in an equal increase in range.  At least with AM (which cb's are).  Ray

Up to a certain point, then then it stops being linear.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

Big Dan

Does the cb have auto-chicken?
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Coyote

My CB has low inter modulation distortions, a high third order intercept point, a 12 dB Sinad level of -110 dBm and really cool chrome knobs!  :hyst:

apendejo

Also with CB the weather is your friend, when the cloud cover is just right you can monitor truckers a looooooong ways away. Who the heck uses CB anymore, good buddy, over.
AP

FSG

QuoteWho the heck uses CB anymore, good buddy, over.

I gave it up when the 10KW blew away the Rubber Ducky AE   :teeth:

Panzer

Light travels faster than sound.
This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

You paying attention, Special and Jam?     Read it again!!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

willymax4

Quote from: trück on March 17, 2009, 07:06:06 PM
My CB is faster than your CB. :smilep:
yeah but mine's black and every body knows that black cb's are faster and i run synthetic oil in it so eat my dust. :hyst:
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

f-x-d-w-g

To answer the original question, to double your speed requires 4 times the power.  Likewise, to double the range of a radio transmission, all other things kept equal, requires 4 times the power.

And, yes, cool chrome knobs WILL increase both the speed AND range of a radio transmitter.   :smiled:
Dan
Tijeras, NM

specialx1

ya but what is the speed of dark hhmmmmm :pop:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

76shuvlinoff

... and 2x diameter = 4x flow.....  :potstir:
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway