May 05, 2024, 07:33:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hitch covers...

Started by tireater, March 17, 2009, 09:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Old Crow

Here's mine

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Ultraman

I really like that claymore... made me laugh out load! I need one for the Blazer... tailgate this MO FO! Come on in, just a little closer. Top it off with a few bouncing Bettys places a key points in the breakdown lanes on the daily commute and suddenly just going to work becomes fun again. I don't know why they have such a LARGE file on me!
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

willymax4

Quote from: tireater on March 17, 2009, 09:16:10 PM
Being a vet...I like this one...
http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=237&parents=154
i can just see it now, laying on the muddy ground face down in handcuffs,while the bomb squad blows the crap out of my pickup rendering it safe. i'll pass on that one. :hyst:
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

pan64

Old Crow, I'd like to see more of that hitch, where its connected etc. They are rare for pre '84 frames...

texaskatfish

Pan64 - no more than I can clearly see on the pic above you asked about - I'm 'guessing' that hitch is attached like the one we have is - on the 2 triangular plates where the lower hard bag rails tie in.

You might contact this guy:

http://www.honkytrailer.com/

to check on hitches for darn near ANY bike..........

Tell Lee Katfish sentcha!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

Old Crow

Quote from: pan64 on March 18, 2009, 08:59:26 AM
Old Crow, I'd like to see more of that hitch, where its connected etc. They are rare for pre '84 frames...

It's just like the late model hitches.  Attaches to the saddle bag support braces with an extra tab going to that center bolt on the bumper(that's my addition to the design).  I got a pic off ebay and looked at a couple of guys bikes and just built my own. 
Sat down with an old manila folder and made a template for the side plates.  Cut them outa 3/16" plate.  Then I used an old piece of 3/4" drill rod for the basic framework of the platform.  Didn't have enough heat to bend it in a circle, which is why it's squared off.
Then under the diamond plate there's a piece of 1/4" welded to the drill rod that the ball attaches through.  The ball is what is actually holding the diamond plate in position.
The hitch is way overkill.  I could back the bike up to a pool and use it as a diving platform.  However, my trailer is one of those Harbor Freight 40"x48" kits and probably weighs close to 250lbs loaded.  I didn't want any surprises.
I parked in front of my son's house one day and came out to find the duck on the hitch.  He's been around a bit and will stay unless I can find a crow head cover somewhere.

This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

scoopfraser

I'm still waiting for someone to make a plastic uterus to hang from the back of my truck  :wink:  I don't feel comfortable with nuts hanging from my hitch.
2000 FXD
Edmonton, Alberta