May 09, 2024, 03:28:12 AM

News:

oil:no debate

Started by carolinayarddog, December 07, 2014, 06:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorUB

Quote from: Jacob1955 on December 19, 2014, 05:06:35 AM
You all keep right on using all them off brand oils,,,my way of thinking if you can afford a bike especially a Hog,you should be able to buy the oil H-D suggest,that way there's no question's if something does happen,,,if you want to go cheap,,go with a Rice Burner bike and buy the cheap oil,,,

You forget that not everyone has a dealer in their backyard so other options for oil is a good thing. also why pay more for a product than you have too? I don't know what Syn3 sells for, $11.00+ a quart and I can buy Mobil1 for less than $5.00 a quart. So I save $15.00 per engine oil change. Also the comment cheap oil doesn't fly very far, many of the various oils discussed are quality oils, perhaps even higher quality than HD Syn3. Rice burner? Many "rice burners" are pretty high quality bikes. I would like to see HD build a bike that could live running up against a 12,000 RPM red line continually, or have some stunter beat the hell out of it and keep on ticking. The import bikes are just built for a different market, different style, the quality is still there.

When you bought your HD did you shop around and pay the highest price you could find? :potstir: :hyst:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

dr. evil

You all keep right on using all them off brand oils,,,my way of thinking if you can afford a bike especially a Hog,you should be able to buy the oil H-D suggest,that way there's no question's if something does happen,,,if you want to go cheap,,go with a Rice Burner bike and buy the cheap oil,,,

That kind of logic is what HD wants. If they suggest it...you buy it. :koolaid:   For the most part, when they suggest their oil...it is because the are making $$$. If it makes you sleep better at night, buy their oil. Personally, I am using Rotella T6 5w-40 in my TC and Evo. I stock up when NAPA sells the gallon container for $19.99. When was the last time you heard of an engine failure where the oil was the underlying problem that led to the failure? My tires don't say H-D on the sidewalls either. Your comment about the Rice Burners/oil...well...is somewhat naïve.

Hossamania

Well, despite the title to the discussion, it has evolved into an oil debate anyway. Surprise.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

carolinayarddog

BUBBIE

:missed:

It is Kinda like what GMR Steve said to me in one of My threads asking for No Oil Debate.....  (close quote)  " Bubbie, It is Winter Time,,,, so good luck with That request... :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

signed....BUBBIE
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

clawdog60

A shop could  put 4 quarts of 4 different brands same wt. for 50k miles in your bike and you and the engine would never know it. Syn. or conventional or a mix.

PoorUB

Quote from: clawdog60 on December 19, 2014, 06:21:40 AM
A shop could  put 4 quarts of 4 different brands same wt. for 50k miles in your bike and you and the engine would never know it. Syn. or conventional or a mix.

Heck, I have done that myself, traveling with an oil burner! Got the oil burning problem cured and rode a couple thousand more miles on the oil "blend".
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

clawdog60

I think when the u.s. mandated oils be equal,the brand thing went out the window.

Oclaf

Quote from: clawdog60 on December 19, 2014, 10:37:08 AM
I think when the u.s. mandated oils be equal,the brand thing went out the window.

its all personal preference. I buy syn for $4.00 bucks or so a quart at local jobber supply. you can pay for a brand or pay for oil. as noted, ever hear of oil being the cause? never, unless it didn't have any and then it doesn't matter what 'brand/high dollar' oil was in it.  :soda:

calif phil

Quote from: clawdog60 on December 19, 2014, 06:21:40 AM

Exactly  :up: :up: :up: :up:

Ultrashovel

04 SE Deuce

It'll run hot if you mix "his" & "hers" K-Y.   :wink:   -Rick

IronMike113

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on December 19, 2014, 07:17:21 PM

As long as you Stick with this Combination, You will be fine........  :potstir:
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

clawdog60

Quote from: 04 SE DEUCE on December 19, 2014, 07:17:21 PM
just the way I like it to run :smilep:

jam65

And if it hasn't been said in this tread: The MoCo gets their oil from the lowest bidder.

rich1

There is absolutely nothing special about HD oil. There are plenty of oil analysis that show what is in it. No big secret formula.