May 09, 2024, 12:59:35 AM

News:

oil:no debate

Started by carolinayarddog, December 07, 2014, 06:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carolinayarddog

10k's coming up and I was getting discouraged by the 8-9 per qt syn prices; went by NAPA and found Valvo 20-50 full for 5ish per (sale price); in central FL 20-50 is difficult to find at any price, so I was happy to get out the door at around $25 bucks; also found a K&N filter on Amazon for $10 to my front door; good day

rbabos

Quote from: carolinayarddog on December 07, 2014, 06:18:36 AM
10k's coming up and I was getting discouraged by the 8-9 per qt syn prices; went by NAPA and found Valvo 20-50 full for 5ish per (sale price); in central FL 20-50 is difficult to find at any price, so I was happy to get out the door at around $25 bucks; also found a K&N filter on Amazon for $10 to my front door; good day
I'd be dancing in the street if I could get syn at 8-9 per qt. Around here Amsoil is 12 ish and Mobil1 14.
Ron

sandrooney

I get Mobile 1 V Twin on Amazon for a little over $10 a quart. I have Amazon Prime so shipping is free.
Patience is such a waste of time .

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

Walmart carries Vtwin Mobile 1 20w-50w here at my local store for less than $9.00 per quart.
I am sure if you go to your local Walmart and ask them to stock it they would!!

I have always had to pay $12.00+ anywhere else.......I found it there last week.......it was in a different location than all other auto motor oils.......never saw it as I never looked where it was..........great surprise!!
Member since 2004

chief-z

been using NAPA 20-50 AUTO OIL (Valvoline) and their filters 1348(WIX) for years in a 97 Sportster and a o3 FLHT for many years. don't worry...be happy!! regards, Z.
YORK COUNTY, PA. NEAR THE MD BOARDER

chopper

I picked up a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1, 15-50 just last night at Walmart for $26.68
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

koko3052

What's the big deal about syn. oil? :idunno: Unless your ambient temps are high. North of the 49th there is no need as long as you use a decent quality dino oil & change regular, or planning a trip south! :scoot:

chopper

Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

koko3052

Hmmm? Syn for about $3 a quart... even if it was '08?

BUBBIE

December 07, 2014, 04:38:26 PM #9 Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 05:09:04 PM by BUBBIE
 :missed:

Have you checked out 10w60 Moly?

Just say'n

signed....BUBBIE

ADDED: post below...

WELL SAID Ray.....
Quite Often I am Right, so Forgive me when I'm WRONG !!!

No Cents

Quote from: chopper on December 07, 2014, 09:38:24 AM
I picked up a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1, 15-50 just last night at Walmart for $26.68
I buy my Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil @ Wal-Mart also. It ranges between $25.00- $27.00 for the 5 qt. jug. I use it now in the winter months in Ohio...but I use to run it year round. I ran Amsoil 20w50 for years...but it seemed to keep getting harder to find it around here locally and the Mobil 1 15w50 was always on the shelf at Wal-Mart.
This past summer I switched to over to the Liqui Moly 10w60 synthetic oil that I buy at Napa Auto parts...and I must say I will continue to use it in the hotter riding season months. I really like the Liqui Moly 10w60...it makes for a noticeably quieter valve train using it.

Ray
08 FLHX my grocery getter, 124ci, wfolarry 110" heads, Burns pipe, 158/152 sae

carolinayarddog

like I said, 20-50 or 15-50 does not exist at the Walmarts here in my part of FL; would love to find the five gallon jugs; they don't even carry the 5-20 for my truck, but I cheat and buy the next closest vis

Hossamania

I would think your local auto parts store can order 20/50 regular for you, and can find 20/50 syn if you want. My local O'Reilly used to carry Valvoline 20/50 full syn in stock, but now can get it in a day or 2 if I have them order it in.
Just to rub it in, I found it on sale there last year for $2.98 / quart. Bought all 27 quarts they had in stock.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mike5511

clawdog60

Quote from: rbabos on December 07, 2014, 08:17:23 AM
Quote from: carolinayarddog on December 07, 2014, 06:18:36 AM
I'd be dancing in the street if I could get syn at 8-9 per qt. Around here Amsoil is 12 ish and Mobil1 14.
Ron
Border crossing mark-up. :hyst:

08FLHTC

A consideration on the Valvoline Oil.  This was a quite a few years ago, but I used to work on BMW's  Found several of them had timing chains going bad at early miles.  The chains all had a white past on them, which kept the oil from getting to them.  Sent a sample to Valvoline.  Engineer said "Do not use our oil in these engines, they run to cool for our oil.  Timing chains were in the very front of the engines and these were the opposed cylinder engines which do run cool!

clawdog60

What exactly is the white paste from synthetic oil?
Looks and feels like assembly lube , but I know it's not.

Skullfork

Quote from: ΚĜΗΟŜΤ on December 07, 2014, 08:53:42 AM
Walmart carries Vtwin Mobile 1 20w-50w here at my local store for less than $9.00 per quart.
I am sure if you go to your local Walmart and ask them to stock it they would!!

I have always had to pay $12.00+ anywhere else.......I found it there last week.......it was in a different location than all other auto motor oils.......never saw it as I never looked where it was..........great surprise!!

Same here in North Carolina ...and like you said, it's never in the auto oil section.

clawdog60

Quote from: 08FLHTC on December 08, 2014, 02:51:29 PM
A consideration on the Valvoline Oil.  This was a quite a few years ago, but I used to work on BMW's  Found several of them had timing chains going bad at early miles.  The chains all had a white past on them, which kept the oil from getting to them.  Sent a sample to Valvoline.  Engineer said "Do not use our oil in these engines, they run to cool for our oil.  Timing chains were in the very front of the engines and these were the opposed cylinder engines which do run cool!
should have Stuck with the beemer oil which is golden spectro in disguise.

Iamwill

Syn 3 is $17 a litre up here.

clawdog60

Ouch. Dam border crossing fees again.

Street Glide

I have Pep Boys E-Mail alerts and just received a 30% off any order with free shipping to my local Pep Boys. Ordered 10 quarts of Mobil 1 20/50 V Twin full synthetic for $7.69 a Qt.

Street Glide.

WideBoy04

Galatians 2:20

rbabos

Quote from: Iamwill on December 09, 2014, 02:50:10 PM
Syn 3 is $17 a litre up here.
Must be something special at that price. :sick: I guess Amsoil's a steal then. :hyst: Don't know how they suck people into paying that for a group3 oil. It's a wanna be syn only.
Ron

Jacob1955

You all keep right on using all them off brand oils,,,my way of thinking if you can afford a bike especially a Hog,you should be able to buy the oil H-D suggest,that way there's no question's if something does happen,,,if you want to go cheap,,go with a Rice Burner bike and buy the cheap oil,,,