May 05, 2024, 05:28:40 PM

News:

battery tender question

Started by jmorton10, March 18, 2009, 06:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

A guy I work with has an Evo ST.  He was in Daytona & the regulator went & the battery died.

He had the regulator replaced, but the HD shop told him the 3 year old battery was fine.  Now, when he plugs in his tender, the yellow & green lights both stay lit after it's been on all night.

What does this mean??  Is the battery shot??

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

calif phil

He needs to try the Tender on another battery to see if works ok, I think he should have his battery load tested again to make sure.

Glenn W

Hard to say on first guess-too many variables. Could be the battery was damaged (or partially dry) by an overvoltage condition caused by the faulty regulator. Could be it just isn't fully charged yet and needs more time(doubtful but possible). Could be the bike still isn't charging correctly, causing the battery to always need topping off. Could be the Tender itself is faulty. Since the battery is past the halfway point of its expected life span I would grab a new battery anyway if it was my bike. Check the bike voltages at off, idle & high idle while the old battery is still in it. Consult the manual for exact readings, should be around 12.5 at rest, drop some at slow idle, (bike using power but not charging) and 14~ 14½ at high idle. Charge the new battery on the Tender until you have solid green and then put it in the bike and go from there.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

jmorton10

Well, it seems like the tender is bad as the yellow light won't go out on my bike either & my tender works just fine.

Thanks for the response guys.

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

willymax4

i don't know about the deltran tenders, but the instructions for my schumaker tenders say to connect the battery to the tender first, then plug it into the 110v power source. maybe worth a try.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

Sin

My buddies did the same thing, come to find out he connected the tender up backwards.  :emsad: If that's not the case I would contact Deltran they have a excellent service reputation.

14Frisco

There are several different kind of Battery Tenders from Deltran.
I got the Battery Tender Plus recently and it does not have a yellow light.

Once you know the model of the Battery Tender you can find the directions/instructions (which include troubleshooting) online at batterytender.com.