April 28, 2024, 03:24:06 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Sifton Cams are too big

Started by 73ironhead, December 08, 2014, 09:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73ironhead

Just got the $310 Sifton cam kit in from V-twin and they don't fit; just three of them have a hard time turning. Vtwin says they are good for 71-80; I have a '73. Any ideas..? thanks

Wicked

So you got 3 cams in. Which 3? Are the lifters in? Cam cover on? You check cam end play? What is hard to turn? Did you replace cam bearings and bushings?

73ironhead

engine is apart, no lifters, new bearings, no need to replace bushings, the kit is complete with four cams but when I try to place them in the cam cover the teeth are too tight and can't get them to turn..are PB+ bigger than P?

nibroc

call sifton--they might tell ya to go to minus-minus

garyajaz

mike cams and measure bushings.
if tight or very loose.  found it.
also if cams not supported by bearings may wobble tight.

73ironhead

found couple of old P cams with extra oil tracts on N2 larger gear and using those. I order them after I read Tom Sifton story of building cams that allowed you to keep the gas all open..wish I new about this 30 years ago...much obliged gents..

garyajaz

they were tight and larger gear made them loose?
I think I missing something here .

and cams allowing to keep gas open?

JW113

Try putting the cams in one at a time, see if they turn OK. If they don't, problem is probably with the bushings too tight. I seriously doubt this is the problem though. Mic the outer journals and compare to the stock cams that came out of it if you have a 1" micrometer.

If they spin fine, as I think they will, the gears are too tight, i.e. too big. Have a gander at this:

http://www.andrewsproducts.com/sites/www.andrewsproducts.com/files/catalog_pdfs/2014-page21.pdf

I am not familiar with the "new" Sifton gears, so no idea if they support the same way Andrews does.

-JW
2004 FLHRS   1977 FLH Shovelhead  1992 FLSTC
1945 Indian Chief   1978 XL Bobber

panic

Lobe size has nothing to do with it.

Reasons:
1. pitch diameter is too large
2. cam bearing locations in the right case contain errors

Do they all fit in the cam cover?

Racepres

Quote from: 73ironhead on December 10, 2014, 08:53:58 AM
found couple of old P cams with extra oil tracts on N2 larger gear and using those. I order them after I read Tom Sifton story of building cams that allowed you to keep the gas all open..wish I new about this 30 years ago...much obliged gents..

De-code/translate for me please!!!