May 05, 2024, 04:42:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT Honda CRV Driveshaft/Universals

Started by tinkerman, March 18, 2009, 06:45:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

Was giving the wife's 2002 CRV (137,000 km / 84,000 miles) the once over when I was home...getting ready to give it a little TLC next month....change out the winter tires/rims, install new struts all round, brake inspection, oil change.....a combination spring maintenance and repair.

I noticed when I was under it that the universal joint at the rear diff was a little sloppy.....couldn't see how it was removed so called a parts shop and then the Honda dealer....whattaya know?...the drive shaft comes complete with the universals permanently attached and it is only 1100 bucks Canadian + tax for a new drive shaft. F@*K me to tears...1100 bucks for a worn out universal...I can remember a Bronco II we had a few years ago had the same deal going on.

Now..I have found a machine shop that replaces the universals @ $200/pop so I figure I might as well get both of them done cause we are going to run this rig into the ground.

Any other suggestions online here? I am gonna try and Phone Honda and shame them into a new drive shaft as the vehicle came with an extended warranty of 7/140,000 and it is still 3000 km shy but over by three months.

Appreciate any feed back,

Tinkerman
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

Upswept

Welcome to the world of japanese vehicles.  When they wear out, they are very expensive to repair.  That's why there are so many in scrap yards.  It cost more to repair them than what they are worth.

texaskatfish

Tinker hey give it yer best shot!

But........................beware of Honda's "extended warranty" - my experience was the warranty (even though purchased and agreed to in a Honda dealers office) was strictly an aftermarket insurance outfit and had zip / zero / nada to do with Honda itself.

Back in the day my EXX melted a Honda civic wagon's motor (internal head gasket between #2 & #3 gave way and it swallowed / expelled all the coolant). That car was well within the 5 years "unlimited" mileage coverage.
For what the dealer quoted as a $3500 repair tab the "warranty" folks only offered to cover $800 of..............

I left that damn car sit at the dealer and told them to keep it!
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/