May 05, 2024, 10:16:43 PM

News:

New Street Glide Windshield

Started by wavlovr1, March 18, 2009, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wavlovr1

Need some help here guys. I bought an 09 Street Glide and want a different windshield. I'm 6'2" tall and get a lot of wind in the face with the stock shield. I will also be riding two-up quite a bit using the Sundownner seat. I've read all the posts on different manufacturers windshields but didn't reach any conclusions. I want something to keep the bugs, wind, and rain off both of us, that I can still see over. (hate looking thru a shield).

So, what is the best kind of shield for my situation. Please post all the positive and negative points you can about the options for me. This is my first bagger, so assume i don't have a clue.  :bf:

Thanks Jimbob

FXRkid1

JimBob,
I just put a Klock Werks 6 1/2" tall windshield on my 09 Streetglide last night as a matter of fact. I'm 5'9 and it moved the wind from hitting my in the eyes, to the top of my helmet, which is fine for me. I'm pretty sure they make different sizes.
Joe

Sin

I put a 6" on that I got from H-D that works fine for me at 6' The four inch was worse than not having a fairing, seemed to direct the wind right at my head.

HDZiggy

I went from the standard 4" to a 9 1/2 light smoke. I'm 6'2" and still get some wind in the eyes. I'm thinking of trying the Klock Werks but the 6 1/2" is the tallest they make for the batwing fairing. Buddy of mine went with a 12" and he is 6' 5" and said he looks right over the top of the windshield but no wind in the eyes. I came off a Fatboy with the Kingsize windshield and hated looking thru it also.
Good luck,
Ziggy
'09 SG     Texas

PETE-NAM68

Check out this site, best windshield I ever had & flat top with the wings is great.
http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/

Milehog

Quote from: HDZiggy on March 18, 2009, 11:42:39 AM
I'm thinking of trying the Klock Werks but the 6 1/2" is the tallest they make for the batwing fairing.

I've been told Klock Werks EG windshields are a knockoff of the Cee Bailey's SSC windshield, it sure looks like it. Regardless, the SSC is available in more sizes, costs much less and is built by people that make aircraft windows. Klock Werks has a cooler name though...
I have had zero buffeting since I went with the SSC.
Proud IBA member

truck

Quote from: PETE-NAM68 on March 18, 2009, 12:09:47 PM
Check out this site, best windshield I ever had & flat top with the wings is great.
http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/

They are great people to deal with!
But their (3) three windshields that I had (flat top half moon) on an Ultra always cracked from the outward screw holes.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

PETE-NAM68

I am running 1 9" flat top with half moons on an 05 flhtci with over 20,000 miles since June of 05 with no issues. also on another bike with no problems.

blk-betty

have an 8" from Fastaire (a member here on HTT - http://www.fastaire.com/ ) on my 06 FLHX but I'm only 5'7".  Put in on before a long trip last summer as we were going to be on the superslab for 4 days straight and have never taken it off.  previoulsy had a 6" from Fastaire but got some wind on the helmet with that one, the 8" solved the problem for my short self.

Nice thing about Fastaire's stuff is that it's not expensive, maybe $30 if I recall and he has all sizes and colors, quality seems to be as good as stock shiled for my needs.
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

hpdjoe

I am 6'2 and put an 8 in clearview with recurve on my street glide.I was very happy especially as compared to stock which looked nice buy was worthless.Clearview makes a real nice product.

wavlovr1

Klock Werks EG windshields, Cee Bailey's SSC windshield, and Clearview with recurve all look pretty nice. Thanks for the input. Anyone done a comparison of these or have any other feedback on any of these 3?

Thanks again, Jimbob

Scramjet

Fastaire -

For the price of the other windshields you can get a couple of different sizes to use at your pleasure.

I have a 4" hd, 6" Fastaire, 8" Fastaire and 9 1/2" hd.  At 5"9" on Sundowner seat I ended up using the 8" to put the wind at the top of my helmet.  I would suggest the 10" for your height.  Try a 8" and 10" for the price.  You can usually find a stock take-off 12" for cheap.

B
07FLHX 107", TR590, D&D, 109HP/112TQ
06FLSTN, 95", SE211, Cycle Shack 91HP/94TQ

wavlovr1

Does thge Street Glide use the same shield as the ultra or classic, or are they different?

jb

wavlovr1

fastaire certainly is a lot cheaper, how is the quality?

jb

04glide

I have been running a Clearview for the last 65,000 miles and love it. Very high quality shields. I run the 6" recurve but I think the 8" would give a little more protection for your passinger. Im 6'2" and it's fine for me but the wife gets a little wind. I ran other shields but they all got scratched up real easy. This one still looks great.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

JimB

Guess it time for me to chime in here....

All 1996-2009 FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU & FLHX models accept the same windshield.

Windshields: No one size nor style shield will work for everyone. There are too many variables like.... how tall, lower or higher seat, riding position, mostly solo or two up, highway or city, little wind or a face full. What one consider to be just enough wind another will say its too much or not enough. Some prefer the lower darker shades for the cool factor & others want tall & clear. Its all about personal preference.

Clearview, CeeBaileys & Kockwerks all make quality shields and have excellent reputations.

Fast Aire has a different approach. The shields are designed to work first then look good secondly. Its a quality shield made from custom blended " impact modified poly-resin acrylic", close to aircraft material in chemical properties. I did all the design work but a local company makes them for me. The shields are made flat & then formed when installed. This material, when left in the sun for awhile will eventually retain about 25% of the curved shape. It will not over stress the Fairing.

Theres is no corporation or middle guy, just me... my mark-up is small so I have a pricing advantage.

Fast Aire's quality is as good as anyones & I stand behind my product 100%. If anyone decides that a Fast Aire product is not to their liking, all the have to do is contact me & we will work something out.

Regardless as to which shield you choose, if you look on the net hard enough you will find people that love it or hate it.

If anyone has any questions for me, please email me.....

Wingnut

Running a 8" Fast Air on my SG.  Perfect.
Never ride faster then your angel can fly.

Black Jack

I've got a 4" Fastaire, 5.5" (cut down from stock), 6" Fastaire, 9" Fastaire, 10" Fastaire. I'm 5'11" and use the 6" around town and for short rides, and the 10" for touring. "SIN" is right, in that the 4" makes it worse than having no fairing at all - terrible! The Fastaire is good quality and lasts well with low scratch. Direct buy is good but E-Bay was a pain. Prices are A1. Have some buds that cut their own and do a great job as well.
'95 Fatty '02 E-Glide
HTT 7/7/03

Phu Cat

A second for Fastaire.  Tinted and to my door a few years ago for $38 if I recall correctly.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Deye76

Go with a company that will make you a "custom" height. As has been stated, to many variables, seat height, etc, etc. Sit on the bike with it level (like on a rack) use the centerline of the mounting screw holes as a reference, with someone holding the tape measure note the dimension where your just looking over that imaginary line and with a move of your head down you would be looking through the windshield. Have 'em make that size. When I had a batwing, mine was like 7-5/8", but it worked for me.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP