May 05, 2024, 01:48:01 PM

News:

OT-treatment for prostate cancer

Started by hudsonxo, March 18, 2009, 10:57:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hudsonxo

There was an older thread discussing this and don't want to keep beating on an old thread, but...anybody here have experience with radioactive seeds as treatment for prostate cancer?? Dr has recommended the seed procedure as treatment for me. Out of 8 biopsies, 1 was 10% medium grade(?) cancer. Have been told it is slow growing and very small and that I am a good candidate for radioactive seed treatment. (66 yo with family history of the problem) Doctors discuss historical percentages, but I am looking for as much information as I can get....did it work...side effects..etc??

IndyHarley

a friend of mine recently had the procedure done - he is now clear of any cancer and said the only side effect was a feeling of being extremely tired. However, that is just one person's experience.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

willymax4

having been thru this and am now cancer free for the last 2 years, i can relate to you my experience via a PM. gimme a half hout then check your messages.
RIDE LIKE HELL AND YOU'LL PROBABLY WIND UP THERE

Lowrider

I had 42 radiation treatments and everything seems fine.  That was in 2005.  No urinary or bowel problems.  Sex is still good but do not cum like I used to.  Just like x-ray at dentist office the procedure was easy.  Two months going to hospital was only inconvenience.  Do not know about the seeds.  My PSA was 31 not 3.1.  My Gleason score was a 6.  Good luck!  Some people that opted for surgery had problems.

JamLazyAss

Hudson,
I'm guessing that the biopsy procedure was/is the hardest part to this whole prostrate thing.
How did you get away with only 8 tissue samples, you lucy dog. I had 18  :cry:
I just got a call yesterday on mine and no cancer.
It sounds like you had your's detected very early, making any healing method easier to be effective.
Oh yeah, I don't know about you guys, but I beed alot out the front end whenever the moment is right.
Red, brown, blue, you name it. Doc said it's normal for at least 2 months as the prostrate got beat up pretty good.

Getting older can have its down sides at times, but it's better than the alternative!
Heal well my friend. Keep us informed.
Jack -
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Panzer

Way to go, all of you. :up: :up:
Hope you all stay clear in the years to come.
Here's to your good health. :beer:

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

hudsonxo

..thanks for the feedback.

18 snips??....that would have had to start to hurt...I was glad to be done at 8 .....they probably  got most of yours out already!!!

L-

The seed thing is becoming common practice.  If you are anywhere near Houston, Texas then go to M. D. Anderson if you can. Or, if you are very comfortable with your oncologist then stay put.

L-

02roadcling

Glad they caught it. My friend had a psa of 1500, (no BS) then it dropped to 7 or 800 then back up to 1200. Then back down now to 7-800 again. He has about a yr left.
You will be fine!!  
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

blk-betty

Cling

Sorry to hear about your friend.  Prostate CA is one of those ones that if found early and treated appropriately, no matter the treatment chioce, most guys do well.  Sounds like your friend may have been diagnosed late and hate to say it but if it will scare others into getting screened it is worth saying.  When Prostate Cancer spreads or metastiszes, it usually goes to bone - the spine - first, then liver and sometimes the lungs.  The bone mets are terrible and the pain can be unberable with the only way to tolerate it is being snowed with very high power narcotics.  It is a terrible way to die and once it has metastisized the only real treatment is pain management (palliative) to keep you as comfortable as possible until death.

Hudsonxo -

Radioactive seeds is a viable alternative and we do use it in our practice but not as often as surgery.  Every treatment option has pluses and minuses and you have to decide what is right for you.  We typically reserve seeds for guys that are in the 70s since they teoretically have a shorter life expectancy as someone in their 60s but how much difference is there between 68 and 78 - who knows.  If everyone in your family drops dead of a heart attack at 78 than seeds is a great option but if they live to 95 it may not be the best option.

Our docs are surgeons, if a guy chooses seeds he is treated by a radaition oncologist and our docs place the seeds in the prostate under the guidance of the radiation oncologist who determines the number and location of the seeds.  FWIW, my dad had the surgery at 68 and his best bud had the seeds at 71 - both are doing great with undetectable PSA's 4+ years later but my dad is having more issues with incontinence than his bud who had the seeds.  Did he make a mistake and choose the wrong treatment option - who knows?  You just have to decide what is right for you and don't second guess yourself after the fact.     
Mark  '12 Road Glide Custom
Coastal SC

onemchog

I had mine removed about 1 1/2 years ago roboticly it is called davinchi robotic i went in on Monday and Monday eve I was up and walking with no pain and home on Tuesday morning very short recovery time and everthing in working order hear is a web site with a great deal of info if I can help please email me
www.roboticurology.com
Stay safe no matter what 2 wheels your on.
Barnegat,New Jersey

02roadcling

Yep, the only reason i brought up my friend is to try and let the good HTT brethren know it pays to stay on top. Hopefully prevent somone the agony. Btw, mine is 0.67.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

Princess Butt

The father of a friend of mine had the seeds done years ago, when it was experimental. We're talking back in the early to mid 90's.

The doctor said the 12 pack he drinks daily would kill him first. It sure did. Doctor ended up dead as a doornail five years ago, the old man is still drinking 12 beers per day. He's still kickin' in his late 80's.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

95FLTCU

What L- said is true. You want to be somewhere that they see and treat a lot of your type of illness so that they are up to date on the latest technology. Research your Physicians to be sure that you have a capable person taking care of you. Good luck.

Don...
Don...