May 03, 2024, 09:47:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Nose Cone Gasket

Started by rkrcpa, March 18, 2009, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rkrcpa

I need to replace the gasket between the engine case and the nosecone. The service manual talks about removing the pushrods and all sorts of stuff. Is that really necessary? Can I just remove the ignition stuff and pull the nosecone without bothering any of the cam chest items? Common sense says I should be able to but it wouldn't be the first time that got me in trouble. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter but it seems like a lot of extra time that I don't necessarily have.

Thanks

Rod

gryphon

I always loosen the pushrods so there is no tension on the cam so it aligns easier with the bushing in the cam cover when I put it back on (nosecone).

MMOCGuy

I know a guy who pulled the cam cover all the time without loosening the pushrods. The biggest problem with doing that is the downward pressure on the cam makes it very difficult to get everything aligned properly when reassembling. What Gryphon said is what I agree with. It just makes the whole job easier and save the frustration of trying to get everything aligned.

Norm.

rkrcpa

That makes sense. The service manual assumes that you are removing everything and instructs accordingly. Thanks for the replies. Tax season will be over soon, I've got to get the bike ready to ride by April 16th.   :teeth: