April 26, 2024, 01:24:24 PM

News:

1978 Ironhead Wheels

Started by dubepj, December 22, 2014, 12:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubepj

Did the 1978 ironheads have aluminum rims with the spokes wheels???  Looking at pictures it kind of look like that but maybe just tarnished chrome.

garyajaz

we could look it up...lol
or look close at the pix for shape of rim.

my 1974 had chrome wheels with kick start.
alum rims with cool drop center was put on electric start ones.

Racepres

Quote from: garyajaz on December 22, 2014, 09:32:56 PM
we could look it up...lol
or look close at the pix for shape of rim.

my 1974 had chrome wheels with kick start.
alum rims with cool drop center was put on electric start ones.

Odd then that my '77 XLCH came with aluminum drop centers!

dubepj

OK guys. I guess I'll go have a look at this bike.  In my opinion aluminum rims would be a good thing since they won't rust.  Tell me what you guys think.  Thanks for the replies and a Merry Christmas to all at HTT

Racepres

Quote from: dubepj on December 23, 2014, 07:16:14 AM
OK guys. I guess I'll go have a look at this bike.  In my opinion aluminum rims would be a good thing since they won't rust.  Tell me what you guys think.  Thanks for the replies and a Merry Christmas to all at HTT

I have a Friend who buys all of them he sees...I think it is an Obsession tho...Personally I like them, except at Tire change time...I use spoons and must be very careful.
In truth the Mags are best...especially H-D/ Morris, but Lesters are very Nice.

dubepj

I looked at the bike and it has a chrome steel wheel in the front (19") and a aluminum wheel (18") on the rear.  Any chance the bike came from the factory that way or has there been changes along the way by a P.O.  It's a 1978 XLH.  Thanks for your input everyone.

14Frisco

Service Manual states:
Front wheel rim is identified by Part No stamped in rim well as follows: ... steel 43341-78 and aluminum 43351-78 for 1978.
Rear wheel rim is identified by Part No stamped in rim well as follows: 18 in. steel 43005-70, 18 in. aluminum 43008-70.

Which model came with which rim, I don't know.  Parts manual should reveal that but I don't have one, and unless someone here has one perhaps a visit to the dealer and look in theirs.

Racepres

Quote from: dubepj on December 31, 2014, 08:24:13 AM
I looked at the bike and it has a chrome steel wheel in the front (19") and a aluminum wheel (18") on the rear.  Any chance the bike came from the factory that way or has there been changes along the way by a P.O.  It's a 1978 XLH.  Thanks for your input everyone.
Never see none with one each...Alot can happen in nearly 40 years tho!!!!
Pick one and replace the other and be happy....