May 05, 2024, 10:44:12 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Stock Shocks

Started by aceman2101, March 18, 2009, 03:05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aceman2101

How many miles do you have on yours? I have 42k on mine (2001 Roadking) and am thinking they may be worn out.Their not leaking and I dont seem to be having any handling issues. Would it be save to assume that they do need replacing and go ahead and replace. Thanks,  Ace

Eglider05

Quote from: aceman2101 on March 18, 2009, 03:05:31 PM
How many miles do you have on yours? I have 42k on mine (2001 Roadking) and am thinking they may be worn out.Their not leaking and I dont seem to be having any handling issues. Would it be save to assume that they do need replacing and go ahead and replace. Thanks,  Ace

50 miles on mine. I took them off the minute I got the bike home from the dealer and replaced them with Progressives and have since replaced those with Works Street Trackers.  :teeth:

Rick

truck

67,000 miles on a FLHTCU, two up most of the miles, and no issues.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

help-u2

in my lowly opinion h-d shocks are junk new.  i replace the pogo sticks first off.
my superglide has the 418's the sporty has works.  must admit my buell is stock.  but they not really harley.

seattledyna

my 95 FLHT has the original shocks, still work just fine...My FXR has Koni's, much better than the original :wink:

Hossamania

See the thread regarding changing oil in the stock shocks in this forum. Seems like a cheap and easy way to bring back some decent performance. I'll be trying it out very soon myself.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Hossamania

I just bumped it to the top of the Twin Cam section.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

Jeffd

Ace, do your self a favor and get some Progressives.

rabbit

Changing the shock oil is a easy fix. Takes 30 minutes total to remove, change oil and reinstall on my 06' Ultra. I could really tell a difference and it only had 31,000 miles.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Dalton GA

ridgerider

1999 flht 135,000 + miles still factory shocks and no leaks or handeling problems, also have a 1986 fxr 23 years old with original shocks.  i am sure there is always newer and better, just what you want to spend the money on..

Hawg Holler

Unless you are just looking for a way to personally stimulate the economy by throwing away entirely good shock absorbers, I'd think twice about buying new shocks with such low mileage. I've got 61,000 miles on mine and when I check them by pushing down on the rear to see if they're damping correctly, and making sure there are no leaks, they seem to be fine. I ride a lot two-up with luggage and run about 18 pounds of air. Calling stock Harley shocks junk is overstatement that Progressive and other shock companies that charge four times what shocks should cost are happy to encourage. I can buy shocks for my Ford F-250 crew cab cheaper than the aftermarket shocks for a Harley. Make sense?
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic