May 05, 2024, 05:34:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Are they serious?

Started by truck, March 18, 2009, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

truck

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

Ape_do

LOL! I just got that email from them :hyst:

HroadhogD1

Yea, they are serious.  I don't think they will be around very long though.  Then someone else can buy the name and make them.

June2017

That first shirt can be had at WalMart for $11.97.  Those idiots are selling it for $97.99 :wtf:

Those are the kind of companies I like to see fail.   :wink:

tdkkart

Wanna laugh even harder, take a look at this:
http://indiantwincities.com/new_vehicle_inventory.asp

$32K minimum buyin??? BIG :wtf:

Any one that buys one is a fool, just like buying a ticket on :sink:

96flhpi

Quote from: tdkkart on March 18, 2009, 05:05:16 PM
Wanna laugh even harder, take a look at this:
http://indiantwincities.com/new_vehicle_inventory.asp

$32K minimum buyin??? BIG :wtf:

Any one that buys one is a fool, just like buying a ticket on :sink:

So they're based on the touring frame now instead of the softail?  Used to think they were good looking, even though I wouldn't get one personally but those are kinda funny looking.

calif phil

I checked out the bikes in Daytona. I thought they were well made and good looking machines. I hope they do make a go of it. We need all the USA manufacturing we can get. 

jimrookie

Seems like a lot of money for an unestablished Bike

Glenn W

Quote from: calif phil on March 18, 2009, 07:17:38 PM
I checked out the bikes in Daytona. I thought they were well made and good looking machines. I hope they do make a go of it. We need all the USA manufacturing we can get. 
Well said, Phil.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

autoworker

They've been tokin on that peace pipe a bit too much.  :smilep:
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

mayor

....I don't see the issue.  HD has been over charging for their clothing and trinkets for years.   :potstir:  as far as the price of their bikes, well they need to make as much as they can in a short period of time since they won't be around long.   :wink:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

stro1965

I agree with some others, I hope they make it.  More competition can't be a bad thing.  Most people didn't give Victory much of a chance either and they're still plugging away.

FLH

I'd like to see them build an Indian 4 type of motorcycle. Who needs another V Twin mfg. at this point. And the prices!!! These things were never meant for the typical biker, and they'll even tell you so. They're aimed at the stuffy elitist wannabes.  I'm thinking that by the way they're already marking down the overpriced clothes, they're gettin a taste of the real world out there right now. And I wish they would quit sayin they're a 100 year old MC company.

But they do look nice.  :beer:

PoorUB

Quote from: FLH on March 19, 2009, 04:44:39 AM
I'd like to see them build an Indian 4 type of motorcycle. Who needs another V Twin mfg. at this point. And the prices!!!

I'm with you there. The driveline is pretty much a HD knock off. I wish they would do something of their own. I don't have a problem with the v-twin, but it is all HD aftermarket parts. At least when Victory came into existance they did not use parts out of the V-Twin catalog!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

zj1182

The Twin Cities Indian link TDKKART posted...the logo in the UL corner says "established 1901" and "genuine parts".  Seems to me that's stretching things a little, LOL!  Someone bought the name (again) but not the history and continuity of design and production.

zj

CraigArizona85248

After seeing the new Indians first hand, I'm not as down on them as I was when I first heard the idea.  They appear to be superior to the H-D CVO models in my eyes.  The chrome is better, the paint isn't as gawdy and the drive train is superior (a big-inch Evo design with a Baker transmission).  When I compare the price to a H-D CVO they are still higher but not by that much.  Would I buy one?  No way.  I'm not into that kind of bike.  But then H-D doesn't build anything I'd buy anymore either.  I like low-tech, simple motorcycles so I'm stuck with my old bikes.

The link in Truck's original post really had me laughing.  But then again, it's nothing new.  H-D does the same thing.  T-shirts for $35 that should cost $10.  Polo shirts, sweaters, pants, boots... all over priced.

I'm not writing Indian off just yet.  I saw them pushing new Indians out to the show room at Chester's in Mesa Arizona on Sunday.  They must be selling some if they are pushing new ones out on the floor and the floor doesn't seem any more full then 3 weeks ago.

-Craig

seattledyna

some of their clothing really isnt that bad looking ( to pricey though), alot of it looks like it should be in an Eddie Bauer catalog, its kinda nice to see colors other than black though, as for the bikes they are not that bad either if yer into that kind of look...way overpriced though!

I have a customer bringing me parts today off a Gilroy Indian Chief for complete paint, he has had lots of trouble with that bike and is trying to get the bugs all worked out so he can enjoy the thing.

Shadowdog

Howdy,

You get what you pay for, so bend over and enjoy the ride!

Best,

Shadowdog
:pop: :hyst:
Best to all,

Shadowdog  Smoke um till the wheels fall off!

nc-renegade

Maybe they will apply for some Stimulus Package dollars... better use of the money than some of those clowns/criminals getting it now.
107ci, 11:1,T-Man Stage 3 Heads, T-Man TR-662 cam, HPI 51mm TB, Feuling plate/SP

takwolf

I hope they make it. If I could afford one, I'd seriously think about one.
"RIDE WITH THE WIND"

apendejo

I'm thinking I could put together enough Indian parts from J&P and a couple of other sources to build my own version for less than half of what one of the new ones go for.
A few years ago my company did a lot of the certification testing for the 1st reincarnation and I ended up promoting quite a few parts from them. I already got me some tins, a frame, electronicals and bunches of hardware. :wink:
AP

seattledyna

Here are the Gilroy Indian Chief parts that came in today, going to go for all black

The tanks are just aftermarket HD softail, and not very good ones at that! tabs are broken and or bent, the fenders need lots of attention to fix cracks, brackets etc., those things are HEAVY :smileo:

codyshop

We need all the USA manufacturing we can get. 

Agreed, but they are a foreign-owned company (Stelican, Ltd. :  UK).  No different than US built Hyundais, Toyotas, Nissans, etc.  Ray

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: codyshop on March 19, 2009, 06:30:59 PM

Agreed, but they are a foreign-owned company (Stelican, Ltd. :  UK).  No different than US built Hyundais, Toyotas, Nissans, etc.  Ray

But they are employing workers here state side.  It's good to have the manufacturing jobs.  Even if they are low volumn and only have a small number of employees.

-Craig

codyshop

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 19, 2009, 09:25:42 PM

But they are employing workers here state side.  It's good to have the manufacturing jobs.  Even if they are low volumn and only have a small number of employees.

-Craig

I agree that we need more manufacturing jobs.  I was just pointing out that Indian Motorcycle Company, Inc. version 4.0 is not an American company.  Ray

Dresser

UGLY motorcycles & over priced Yuppie Gear. Someone will buy it. GAWD!

IndyHarley

the Indian in its day was a great bike, unfortunatley its time has passed and no matter how many times you try to resurrect it, it will not make it in the current market. It's overinflated prices assures that it will not last this time and even at HD standards its prices are over inflated and border on exorbitant for a new 'line' of motrocycles which is what it should be focused as and not a long established cycle line which it isn't.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Glenn W

Quote from: CraigArizona85248 on March 19, 2009, 09:25:42 PM

-Craig
Kinda funny how when that got brought up over & over about the Honda MC plant in Ohio................................ :potstir:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Ultrashovel

Quote from: IndyHarley on March 20, 2009, 08:50:37 AM
the Indian in its day was a great bike, unfortunatley its time has passed and no matter how many times you try to resurrect it, it will not make it in the current market. It's overinflated prices assures that it will not last this time and even at HD standards its prices are over inflated and border on exorbitant for a new 'line' of motrocycles which is what it should be focused as and not a long established cycle line which it isn't.

Yes, what you say is quite true. The "Indian Motocycle Co." was a truly great company in its day. They made great touring and racing bikes. The rivalry between Harley and Indian is legendary. Unfortunately the Indian Co. went out of business in late 1953 in Springfield, Mass. The people who are doing it now are the latest of a line of folks that think that just putting a name on a fuel tank makes a real motorcycle.

Sadly, they are going to find out that there's a lot more to it than that.

:sink:

Bigs

Looking at the prices of the Indians doesn't seem to bad if you compare them with some of the choppers that aren't any good but for bar hopping. Look at what they charge for the OCC's - ridicules. I think I'd spend my money on a new Indian that I could ride a distance in comfort rather than a chopper that would beat the H out of me.
   Bigs

HenryJ

For that kind of money you could by a new top end Harley and have enough left to get your old lady a diamond bracelet big enough to stop her from complaining about what you spent on the Harley.

Shop smart!

Ultrashovel

Quote from: Bigs on March 20, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
Looking at the prices of the Indians doesn't seem to bad if you compare them with some of the choppers that aren't any good but for bar hopping. Look at what they charge for the OCC's - ridicules. I think I'd spend my money on a new Indian that I could ride a distance in comfort rather than a chopper that would beat the H out of me.
   Bigs

OK. But what will you do for spare parts in two or three years when the New Indian Co. makes its melon? Remember, it's now got a proprietary engine. All of the parts are specific to Indian. That means when the company goes Tango Uniform, after a very short while there won't be any parts.

That's one good reason for sticking with Harley-Davidson. Parts are available at the dealer and at many, many aftermarket companies. This will continue to be true for a long, long time.

RK101

I wish them well in what there trying to do,even though I'm not in there target group. I agree we need all the jobs we can get right now,at getting people back to work,however large or small the company might be.
As far as the prices of there cloths and there bikes, well it's there company and if they feel they can make a go of it with that approach well that's OK with me. If a person is fool enough to pay that price then they deserve what they get. There is always going to be a certain amount of people who will buy into the hype of paying more for a limited number product feeling that it's a better product. IMO most of the people who will buy these bikes or there cloths will be the latest generation of people who bought into the bondo bike chopper craze. (That are now worth about 25 cents on the dollar)It will be more of a conversation piece than it will be about riding it. I never did understand the concept of buying a motorcycle and not riding it, but for some it makes them feel part of something that they really know nothing about. They can try to impress there friends with there new toy.
All things considered if it keeps the money flowing, and puts some people to work it's a good thing. How long it all will last will be another topic for another day.  :pop:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Ultrashovel

Quote from: RK101 on March 21, 2009, 05:45:44 AM
I wish them well in what there trying to do,even though I'm not in there target group. I agree we need all the jobs we can get right now,at getting people back to work,however large or small the company might be.
As far as the prices of there cloths and there bikes, well it's there company and if they feel they can make a go of it with that approach well that's OK with me. If a person is fool enough to pay that price then they deserve what they get. There is always going to be a certain amount of people who will buy into the hype of paying more for a limited number product feeling that it's a better product. IMO most of the people who will buy these bikes or there cloths will be the latest generation of people who bought into the bondo bike chopper craze. (That are now worth about 25 cents on the dollar)It will be more of a conversation piece than it will be about riding it. I never did understand the concept of buying a motorcycle and not riding it, but for some it makes them feel part of something that they really know nothing about. They can try to impress there friends with there new toy.
All things considered if it keeps the money flowing, and puts some people to work it's a good thing. How long it all will last will be another topic for another day.  :pop:
You make all good points. Part of the prioblem for the present INdian management is going to be the economy. The question being - Are people going to be paying big money for untried motorcycle in this present day economy? I sure don't think so.

Good luck to them.

RK101

Ultrashovel  The people I think who will buy these bikes won't care a bit if it's a untried Motorcycle or not. Like I referred to before is that the buyers who have the deep pockets aren't going to ride them as much as they will talk about them. I'm sure it will just be a status symbol for many of the owners. We've seen it before with other brand bikes and now we'll see it again with the new Indian. Fads come and go and the only thing that ever changes is the present cast of  characters who are running with it. History will just repeat itself again one more time.

I remember back in 99 Excelsior-Henderson tried to meet Harley head on with disastrous results. Indian tried it also with the same outcome. The ones that have played it smart IMO is Victory Motorcycles. There approach has been lets come in the back door quietly and take our piece of the pie a little at a time. The are starting to make some noise in the American Motorcycle market and I think that they are keeping Harley on there toes. Competition is a good thing for us riders.
As for Indian, there not about to try to meet Harley head on again so, they'll just play to a different crowd with the deep pockets.

The one thing that seems to remain constant though, is the Harley owner who rides. For them it's about the bike, the ride,and the friends he makes along the way, and none of the current fads or fashion statements of who's in and what's out seem to mean anything.

It means nothing to me what Indian does, other than the fact that it might keep some money changing hands which will keep some people working.  :up:

Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H