May 09, 2024, 07:18:56 AM

News:

Which Cams

Started by To The Max, December 31, 2014, 04:24:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmorton10

Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 16, 2015, 07:14:05 AM
Quote from: To The Max on December 31, 2014, 04:24:58 AM
Next step would be remove the Tmax and use the OEM Delphi ECU and a full featured tuner such as TTS or Power Vision, use the tuners choice.

I'm curious why that would be an improvement??

I recently bought an 07 RK from a buddy of mine who was in a money bind.  It has a 124" motor built by Hillside.  After spending a day on the dyno at Joes Cycle it produced 139/139 with an open loop Thundermax ECU system.

It is one of the smoothest running Harleys I have ever ridden (& I've ridden more than most people have).  I have ridden/built/repaired custom built hot-rod Harleys since the early 70's, but this is the first one I didn't build myself and I'm kind of figuring out things on it as I go along. The thing starts instantly, idles perfectly & pulls very smoothly from idle to 6500 or so. 

~John
HC 124", Dragula, Pingel air shift W/Dyna Shift Minder & onboard compressor, NOS

joe_lyons

Quote from: jmorton10 on January 23, 2015, 05:18:17 AM
Quote from: HD Street Performance on January 16, 2015, 07:14:05 AM
Quote from: To The Max on December 31, 2014, 04:24:58 AM
Next step would be remove the Tmax and use the OEM Delphi ECU and a full featured tuner such as TTS or Power Vision, use the tuners choice.

I'm curious why that would be an improvement??

I recently bought an 07 RK from a buddy of mine who was in a money bind.  It has a 124" motor built by Hillside.  After spending a day on the dyno at Joes Cycle it produced 139/139 with an open loop Thundermax ECU system.

It is one of the smoothest running Harleys I have ever ridden (& I've ridden more than most people have).  I have ridden/built/repaired custom built hot-rod Harleys since the early 70's, but this is the first one I didn't build myself and I'm kind of figuring out things on it as I go along. The thing starts instantly, idles perfectly & pulls very smoothly from idle to 6500 or so. 

~John
But like you said it took a day to do it.  Many have their favorites And what works well for them.  I'm just not a huge fan of the tmax but that's not to say that others don't like it.  If fuel is right and spark is right then that's the name of the game.  I just always look at the fuel needs being different at different map loads not just throttle positions, same with ignition.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

joe_lyons

Quote from: Arseclown on January 22, 2015, 09:58:50 PM
Quote from: Jaycee1964 on January 22, 2015, 05:50:53 PM
Quote from: joe_lyons on January 22, 2015, 05:35:42 PM
Andrews 54

:agree:  You beat me to it.

I didn't think the 54 cams liked compression beyond 10:1?
My bike is currently set at 10.4.
I have a sheet with an Andrews 54 set at 10.4 in the dyno section and I thought it did great.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

Sunny Jim

555  - woods or Tman

To The Max

For all the guys that gave good advice to me, just thought I might let you know the outcome. my mate sunny jim let me have his 107 barrels and s c cnc heads which we set to 10.5 and left the 55s in place. wow it idles fine and cruising at low rpm light load is fantastic as well. re set the tune on the tmax and will give it along run and then take it to the dyno. thanks again to all of you. Max

autoworker

Glad it worked out for you.The 55's aren't a bad cam.
It must be true,I read it on the internet.

To The Max

Just need to thank you guys for all the input and to let you know what happened. in the end I just increased the comp to 10.5 . well it fixed the bad idle and really improved the light throttle cruising  and increased the low end and all that before I touched the tune. I have now improved the tune and the thing runs great. thanks again guys

Don D

Glad to hear
BTW I have a lot of experience with the TW55 and it needs high side compression to work well then it hauls right off idle and has decent low speed manors. Same comment for the TW67

sfmichael

Quote from: To The Max on June 09, 2015, 04:53:47 AM
For all the guys that gave good advice to me, just thought I might let you know the outcome. my mate sunny jim let me have his 107 barrels and s c cnc heads which we set to 10.5 and left the 55s in place. wow it idles fine and cruising at low rpm light load is fantastic as well. re set the tune on the tmax and will give it along run and then take it to the dyno. thanks again to all of you. Max

:up:
Colorado Springs, CO.