April 28, 2024, 01:20:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Exhaust gaskets

Started by stro1965, March 18, 2009, 06:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stro1965

My "new" used Cycle Shack slip-ons for the wifes Sportster arrived today and are in great condition.  I hadn't really looked at the stock exhaust but, in examining the slip-ons, it looks like I need exhaust gaskets where the 2 pipes come together?  I assume I can just pick some stock gaskets up at the dealership?

Hossamania

If you are talking about the area where the muffler slips onto the headpipe, I've never seen a gasket there. Only at the head. The muffler should just slip on and clamp together.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mayor

are you asking about the crossover pipe gasket?   
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

stro1965

mayor

me or Hoss?  if me, the dealer should have one....but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.  I've pulled pipes apart before and reinstalled without changing that gasket.  Didn't notice any apparent leaks...

stro1965

Sorry...lol, I was saying yes to you Mayor.  The gaskets look to be a little deformed but not too bad.  Maybe I'll just put them on and see how well they seal up.

stro1965

Just installed the Cycle Shacks.  DANG these things are loud!  But they sound awesome and mama loves them!

14Frisco

Cycle Shacks are one of the cheaper ($-wise) exhaust options and one of the best performing ones.

Hossamania

I didn't know there was a crossover pipe gasket! Is this specific to Sportsters? It's amazing what I learn on this site.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

mayor

Quote from: Hossamania on March 19, 2009, 07:23:14 PM
I didn't know there was a crossover pipe gasket! Is this specific to Sportsters? It's amazing what I learn on this site.

no not exclusive to sporties.  Factory two into two exhausts have a crush style gasket where the crossover meets.

mayor

Quote from: 14Frisco on March 19, 2009, 05:52:06 PM
Cycle Shacks are one of the cheaper ($-wise) exhaust options and one of the best performing ones.

I'm currently running Cycle Shacks on on all three of my bikes.   :up:   (will be switching to a Supertrapp 2 into 1 on one of them soon though). 

14Frisco

Quote from: mayor on March 20, 2009, 03:52:48 AM
Quote from: 14Frisco on March 19, 2009, 05:52:06 PM

I'm currently running Cycle Shacks on on all three of my bikes.   :up:   (will be switching to a Supertrapp 2 into 1 on one of them soon though). 

On my Sporty I first ran the stock exhaust for a while, then Cycle Shacks, then Python II - still running the Python IIs for the last 12-13 years or so.  On my Road King I put on Supertrapp Supermegs two years ago, and I like them a LOT.