May 17, 2024, 01:59:02 AM

News:

Baker comp almost ready for shipping.

Started by Soft 02, January 07, 2015, 01:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbabos

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 04, 2015, 05:55:31 AM
My biggest problem with the compensaver is.   I have two of them on the shelf and no comps they go with.   Sure I can modify it so it only lube spokes, but how does that address the problem of lack of lube on the inside?   

Hey Baker, are these things ready to ship or what?
Check your PM. Not really a problem.
Ron

hrdtail78

Compensaver has done everything I would want a company to do.  Month ago I was offered a buy back program.  I decided to keep what I got and modify them myself.

The HD unit now has a design that is suppose to lube the inside.  I don't think the design is as good as the compensaver.  The original design of the compensaver is a dead product.  That is a shame.

Moving on.  Is the baker unit close to being shipped?  I have a couple of bikes here that I need to make a decision on.  Buy the HD stuff and have a go at that or try the aftermarket offerings. 
Semper Fi

rbabos

March 04, 2015, 08:40:56 AM #352 Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:55:10 AM by rbabos
Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 04, 2015, 08:20:01 AM
Compensaver has done everything I would want a company to do.  Month ago I was offered a buy back program.  I decided to keep what I got and modify them myself.

The HD unit now has a design that is suppose to lube the inside.  I don't think the design is as good as the compensaver.  The original design of the compensaver is a dead product.  That is a shame.

Moving on.  Is the baker unit close to being shipped?  I have a couple of bikes here that I need to make a decision on.  Buy the HD stuff and have a go at that or try the aftermarket offerings.
Words need to be used more carefully. :hyst: Part of the original Compensaver is no longer used. The main part, the heart of the system is alive and doing it's job well, complimenting the current OEM version of the retainer we used before they came out with it. Yes ours was a much better retainer. Without our tray it's still a dud in the spoke oiling department.

Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on March 04, 2015, 08:40:56 AM

Words need to be used more carefully. :hyst: Part of the original Compensaver is no longer used. The main part, the heart of the system is alive and doing it's job well.
Ron

Ya know Ron, after yer recent foray into a Shovel Head, I'm surprised you don't recommend HD make a system that oils the primary chain, and the compensator in the TC motors. Then suck the oil back into the motor....     :wink:

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 04, 2015, 08:44:43 AM

Words need to be used more carefully. :hyst: Part of the original Compensaver is no longer used. The main part, the heart of the system is alive and doing it's job well.
Ron

Ya know Ron, after yer recent foray into a Shovel Head, I'm surprised you don't recommend HD make a system that oils the primary chain, and the compensator in the TC motors. Then suck the oil back into the motor....     :wink:
:gob: Since when do they listen to me?
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on March 04, 2015, 08:54:18 AM

Ron

Ron

They're oiling the compensator....    :hyst: 

rbabos

Quote from: Ohio HD on March 04, 2015, 08:55:31 AM

Ron

Ron

Almost. Had they listened more carefully, they would have fully succeeded. :wink:
Ron

Ohio HD

Quote from: rbabos on March 04, 2015, 09:01:29 AM
Quote from: Ohio HD on March 04, 2015, 08:55:31 AM

Ron

Ron

Almost. Had they listened more carefully, they would have fully succeeded. :wink:
Ron

:up:

Admiral Akbar

I think that the original Compensaver was pretty good with one exception.. HD added oil holes in the splined spacer that allowed oil into the sliding cam and to the damping springs.. It's real hard to get oil into there..

This brings up a question..

How is the latest comp doing??  I remember seeing one here that looked like some trash had gotten into the bearing area but there has to be a bunch out there that are accumulating miles..   I don't see the techs here complaining about then.. Heard a rumor that I find hard to believe about a gag order to all the dealers about comp issues.

hrdtail78

Ron

Then where would the external oil from the heads return to?
Semper Fi

rbabos

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 04, 2015, 09:08:24 AM

I think that the original Compensaver was pretty good with one exception.. HD added oil holes in the splined spacer that allowed oil into the sliding cam and to the damping springs.. It's real hard to get oil into there..

How is the latest comp doing??  I remember seeing one here that looked like some trash had gotten into the bearing area but there has to be a bunch out there that are accumulating miles..   I don't see the techs here complaining about then.. Heard a rumor that I find hard to believe about a gag order to all the dealers about comp issues.
Oil to the splines however small is a good thing although these parts are hard and quite wear resistant. Springs, well that's one tough area to deal with due to the lips almost forming an oil tight seal on the outer contact lip area. I think the splines and springs should go the distance for a reasonable life span.
Funny you mention the gag order. That's pretty much on all their stuff. If you get to know one of the  guys really well, there's a hidden world behind the scenes we seldom see. They are not allowed to speak openly on matters like these, which is understandable for job security.
Ron

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: rbabos on March 04, 2015, 09:50:18 AM

Oil to the splines however small is a good thing although these parts are hard and quite wear resistant. Springs, well that's one tough area to deal with due to the lips almost forming an oil tight seal on the outer contact lip area. I think the splines and springs should go the distance for a reasonable life span.
Funny you mention the gag order. That's pretty much on all their stuff. If you get to know one of the  guys really well, there's a hidden world behind the scenes we seldom see. They are not allowed to speak openly on matters like these, which is understandable for job security.
Ron

I still see the same red crap on the cam splines and springs so it seams like they are getting very little oil..

I would imagine that those close to mother HD should keep quiet (and their jobs) but I don't see stuff going on at the dealers being muted, especially when a customer is involved. 

rageglide

I'm curious, how much of the compensator "failure" is attributed to the red crap.   It seems to me the spoke wear is the indicator of "failure".  No? 

Obviously if the I.D. and O.D. of the running surfaces really open up the sprocket would be bouncing all over the place.  But I can't imagine a bike still being in service once it's making that much noise.

Ohio HD

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 04, 2015, 09:37:32 AM

Ron

Then where would the external oil from the heads return to?

Oil pan...   :teeth:

rbabos

Quote from: Max Headflow on March 04, 2015, 10:23:36 AM
Quote from: rbabos on March 04, 2015, 09:50:18 AM

Ron

I still see the same red crap on the cam splines and springs so it seams like they are getting very little oil..

I would imagine that those close to mother HD should keep quiet (and their jobs) but I don't see stuff going on at the dealers being muted, especially when a customer is involved.
You still running the 08a? The latest version should just get enough in there to stop most of that, at least on the splines. With the exception of the early 07 comps with coarse splines, I doubt the 08a and newer would suffer spline failures within the wear out point of the rest of the comp even with marginal oil in that area. Who knows, get enough oil for the rest of the parts and it might be the next weak link. Then again, milage at that point, most would not bitch about a replacement at that stage.
Most owners don't belong to forums. Let's face it many today wouldn't even know what a compensator is let alone discuss it over a beer. Many I've asked don't even know where and what it is.  They take it to the dealer if something makes noise , get it fixed and ride on with little thought about it after. Rinse and repeat as needed. :hyst: MoCo's favourite customer base. They probably hate the rest of us gearheads for  :potstir:
Ron

Richard K

March 04, 2015, 05:49:56 PM #365 Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:25:35 PM by Richard K
 :chop:
Max you heard correctly. I was informed it was a "non-disclosure" and it carries years past not being associated with the MoCo. Ask yourselves just how many Harley reps have you ever seen post anything on this topic.
The new comp is lasting longer and that along with the dealers being more quick to replace the comp without too much hassle has proven to quiet down the complaints. They are still failing and on that you can take to the bank.
How about some proven info on oiling a comp. The OEM retainer and intake covers the sprocket bore and thrust especially when lots of oil is available to the OEM scoop. It is inadequate to push oil in any quantity to the rear for the rest of the working parts. Some yes but way short of what is required to provide a respectable service life span.
If you discharge a liberal and constant oil flow into the spokes at the center most point that will lube everything. When the oil is flowing into the spinning spokes they break the oil up and creates a forceful splash. A small percentage is thrown to the cover thus the constant and increased flow to the OEM scoop. The majority is forced all through the interior of the unit before being thrown out. Thus the required constant flow. This includes the shaft extension and cam splines where they are liberally and constantly lubricated. Needless to say the cam ramps and spokes are also well lubed. The springs do receive some oil between them but as stated they are all but sealed by its design. So flow oil into it and all is lubed and life is substantially expanded.
We still are finding noise the main complaint and the removal of the roller thrust remedies much of that.
RichardK

Master Chief

I can't find it but I think I read on here that the '14 models came with a newly designed comp that was much better.  All I know is that the other day I road my '14 Ultra around the parking lot without my ear plugs and damn that thing is noisy.  Lots of banging and clanging going on down there or is that normal on the new bikes.  Maybe it's because my other bike has a open primary belt drive and I'm just not used to hearing noise.  :scratch:
Horsepower is measured in terms of cubic dollars.

rbabos

Quote from: Master Chief on March 04, 2015, 11:24:19 PM
I can't find it but I think I read on here that the '14 models came with a newly designed comp that was much better.  All I know is that the other day I road my '14 Ultra around the parking lot without my ear plugs and damn that thing is noisy.  Lots of banging and clanging going on down there or is that normal on the new bikes.  Maybe it's because my other bike has a open primary belt drive and I'm just not used to hearing noise.  :scratch:
I've heard this a lot. Hense, the PEEK  washer. :wink:
Ron

Super Dave

Master Chief- My 14 FLHTK sounds like a Mercedez when I have earplugs in.

Soft 02

Quote from: Super Dave on March 05, 2015, 03:16:32 PM
Master Chief- My 14 FLHTK sounds like a Mercedez when I have earplugs in.

Diesel?
07 FXST 124" Vee Twin built!
66 Triumph Tiger TR6 DOA

Just Nick

I bought a 14 street glide the second week they were out for some testing (not comp related but for ecm/tuning) I only put 3400 miles on that bike before I sold it and in that time I had the comp replaced under warranty I sold that bike to a customer of mine and he has put another 24000 miles on it and had the comp in for warranty also so they are still failing, both versions that came out after 2014 are failing.
I'm never wrong , once I thought I was wrong , but I was wrong

rbabos

Quote from: Sham Rock on March 05, 2015, 05:29:12 PM
I bought a 14 street glide the second week they were out for some testing (not comp related but for ecm/tuning) I only put 3400 miles on that bike before I sold it and in that time I had the comp replaced under warranty I sold that bike to a customer of mine and he has put another 24000 miles on it and had the comp in for warranty also so they are still failing, both versions that came out after 2014 are failing.
That is more common then just your case.
Ron

WI Bob

With no disrespect to the folks posting here, I believe Compensator threads have replaced oil threads for this winter.  :wink: :potstir:

BTW, I am waiting for that Baker comp to come in. Meantime, the Evolution sprocket makes it roll. Well, it would if we could roll here.
Just here for the women.

bensfatboy

I got tired a few weeks ago waiting on the Baker Comp to come out of the shute.  I went ahead and bought the latest HD comp with the oil catch.  I also bought and installed the GMR Compensaver along with it.  Installed the Compensaver per instructions which eliminated the roller bearings that came with the HD Comp and utilized the GMR Peek washer. That did the trick as far as primary noise and the shifter clicks into gear instead of clunking into gear.

I am hoping I have this primary pretty much bulletproof as possible with this set up. In my minds eye, I can see oil saturating everything inside that primary from front to back.

Durwood

Quote from: WI Bob on March 07, 2015, 04:13:15 AM
With no disrespect to the folks posting here, I believe Compensator threads have replaced oil threads for this winter.  :wink: :potstir:

BTW, I am waiting for that Baker comp to come in. Meantime, the Evolution sprocket makes it roll. Well, it would if we could roll here.
Need some snow chains Bob.  :teeth: