May 06, 2024, 12:41:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

883/1200 Conversion

Started by kik, March 19, 2009, 08:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kik

Hi Guys, I have a buddy that's looking to do a conversion o his 883. It has +30000 on it now. He was asking if the conversion in the link I added was a good one. I don't know anything about the conversions so I'm asking the experts. Thanks for any help. Kik

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1200-BIG-BORE-CONVERSION-KIT-86-03-SPORTSTER-SILVER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35572QQihZ002QQitemZ120377849247QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Panzer

March 19, 2009, 03:06:23 PM #1 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 03:34:02 PM by Panzer
Seems to be a good purchase, but then I'm no expert.

I'd wait to get the "MAYOR" or "andyxlh " to say yea or nay.
They do check in here on occasion.
Wait a couple days, if they don't respond by then, send me a message and I'll get them to contact you.
These two are the experts on the conversion.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

mayor

I agree with Panzer, that's not a bad deal. The pistons are a dish to keep the compression down with the stock head chamber.  I personally would prefer flat tops with a head chamber enlargement instead, might even be able to do that for about the same price.  Either way the conversion will be a noticeable improvement over the 883, but running untouched 883 heads is going to limit potential. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Hillside Motorcycle

A Kibblewhite 883-1200 conversion valve set-up, along with flatops, and a set of Andrews 8 cams, and keep it pointed straight.
Large fun.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Don D

In the middle of one now and exactlu what mayor and hillside are saying. Kibblewhites, compression corrected for the flatops, and N4 cams. It will be a runner. Not bad for $400 head job.

kik

Thanks everyone, I passed along the suggestions, now it's up to him.
Kik

flhs90

The Mayor, Deweysheads and Hillside:

You guys are getting us pointed in the right direction when the time comes.

We just grabbed an 883 stocker other than carb rejetted and a Screaming Eagle air filter rear chain drive.
Bike is a dark burgandy. 23k miles and just getting broken in for a 20 year old Sporty, even looks new.
Go figure.

Loved the Kibblewhite valve job and cams mentioned.

We already see what you mean when you say, "lkeep it pointed in the right direction!"

Yahooo!

FLHS 90
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

andyxlh

Hi Kik,
Indeed it does look like an easy bolt-on fix for the 1200cc conversion, and the wisecos have a good name. you will also benefit from the decent increase in compression. With 30,000 miles it might be worth throwing a set of valve seals in the head and checking the exhaust valve for pitting or burns, particularly if it has been running drag pipes. you will also need a rocker box gasket set of course.
here in Australia it would be much cheaper to buy the pistons alone (about $160-180us from places like Fog Hollow) and then have your cylinders machined to fit. remember that the cylinders need to be mounted on correct torque plates to mimic the torque of the head to the re bore is circular under torque so get them done by those who know. I have just always had mine done at the local Harley race shop so I haven't actually seen this process in action...
I must admit, I'd get the pistons alone and spend the $300 I would save on the re bore and having the heads ported and flowed - which basically means removing all the casting rubbish from the ports, and fit new valve seals and check the valves. then the whole top end is fresh, not new pistons under 30000 mile heads.
BTW, my last rebuild on my '89xlh is about due for a re-do 100000 + km from the last re bore, bike still goes like crazy, but it uses a lot of oil. Haven't run a compression test - really can't be bothered as once I have the heads and barrels off I'll do pistons and valves, but I'm pretty sure it is the valve seals as the compression I would assume is at least reasonable as I'm still embarrassing the new TC96 bikes up to about 70MPH... and I only have 4 gears...
re the bigger valves in the 1200 - my understanding is that they only come into play high in the RPM range, and that a higher compression 883 conversion will run harder than a stock 1200 in the 'usable' rev range for the rigid mount sportsters (ie where they don't shake your teeth out!). Certainly having ridden a fair few that agrees with my experiences anyway.
cheers
Andy
Sydney
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble

neale

For what it's worth, on my 02 883/1200 all I did was pipes, air cleaner and Keith Black reverse dome pistons, heads were left stock.....I got 60hp at 4,000rpm on a dyno, the mechanic wouldn't go any further as it was too lean for his liking. The thing ran like a scalded cat. It was one of those bikes you wished you still had. Cmon lottery win.

neale

Andy, I have an Electra Glide Standard now, FLHT, absolutely love it, but man I sure miss my old Sporty, I look at photos on the net of other peoples Sportsters and realize I gotta have another one.

andyxlh

Hi Neale
I was in the same 'trade up' position a few years ago but couldn't bear to get rid of my 89 xlh - so i waited and found a ratty '96 flhr and got that rather than a newer one, and kept both!!
cheers
Andy
Sydney
PS - there's some pics of both on my site:
www.youfreeweb.com/andysharleys
If you can't fix it with a hammer and a roll of Duck tape then you're in trouble