April 28, 2024, 05:43:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Amp in a Saddlebag pics/setup?

Started by haze324, January 07, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haze324

Ok so I'm still having issues with my right channel on the RZ4, so I have a PPI 900.4 sitting in the garage waiting for install.  I "think" I can somehow manage to get this in a fairing, but figure it'll be much easier to just slap it a bag.  I'm running Kappa's in the fairing and Pioneer 6X9's in the bags (facing rear wheel) get installed next week.

Sooooo....anyone got some good pics of amps in a bag.  Curious as how you guys have ran wires to the bags, when I think of power, ground, remote, two sets or rca's, etc. thats going to be a fairly large sized hole I need to drill in the garage.  Any tips?  How to hide the wiring, etc.

tdgriff

The last install I did I put all the wires together put them in shrink wrap. That way I had them all together. I used velcro to hold the amp in the bag. The power and negative wires I made quick disconnect pugs. Well all wire's had quick dis but for the hole I just went to the hardware store and bought a nice size grommet. I am sure more people will chime in in a bit.

AAWAV

easiest way in the bag - IMO - is to cut a "half" hole at the top (rim) of the bag. rubber seal will "close it. that way you can take if out without having to pull all the wires through a hole or use 254 connectors LOL. I should have done it myself with the speaker wires
I still have to run the wires behind fabric (liner) in the bag, but need to make templates for the bag (as I am pretty OCD about stuff!)
you could bundle up the wires in the plastic "ribbed" tubing you can buy at HW store of HF.... looks nice (usually it's black)
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

haze324

Quote from: AAWAV on January 07, 2015, 05:35:11 PM
easiest way in the bag - IMO - is to cut a "half" hole at the top (rim) of the bag. rubber seal will "close it. that way you can take if out without having to pull all the wires through a hole or use 254 connectors LOL. I should have done it myself with the speaker wires
I still have to run the wires behind fabric (liner) in the bag, but need to make templates for the bag (as I am pretty OCD about stuff!)
you could bundle up the wires in the plastic "ribbed" tubing you can buy at HW store of HF.... looks nice (usually it's black)

Yeah I had planned to run then thru ribbed tubing, not really sure from the batter and HU where to run them thru - under the side covers and to the bags?  Trying to figure out where the best place to conceal them.

The "half" hole sounds interesting.  I need to find a pic to really grasp the concept. In my mind I pictured what TD described.  A rubber grommet to plug the hole in the bag with some quick disconnect plugs....but yeah I'd need them for every freakin wire.

Thanks fellas

tdgriff

The only problem I found out with the half hole is the wires like to pop out from time to time. So get a bag of zip ties and that help's hold it in place. in my opinion does it really matter if you cut a inch hole or 2 inch hole a hole is a hole.don't tell my old lady I said that.

AAWAV

TM I TMI...
Haze. Sorry my brain thinking dutch... I meant a half moon. Lol or three quarts.. open at the top. Like a notch. Again. Brainfarth. Need food....

vhmike73

haze324: This site: http://americanhardbag.com/products/harley-saddle-bag-wire-harness-for-speakers-amplifiers sells a specific "in the bag" amp install kit- though it's not exactly the cheapest alternative.

Gannicus

Good call Mike. . . That site has nice pics. AAWAV you can't drink beer and post help at the same time! We have had this discussion more than once. . .lol

Gannicus

Quote from: haze324 on January 07, 2015, 04:36:32 PM
Ok so I'm still having issues with my right channel on the RZ4, so I have a PPI 900.4 sitting in the garage waiting for install.  I "think" I can somehow manage to get this in a fairing, but figure it'll be much easier to just slap it a bag.  I'm running Kappa's in the fairing and Pioneer 6X9's in the bags (facing rear wheel) get installed next week.

Sooooo....anyone got some good pics of amps in a bag.  Curious as how you guys have ran wires to the bags, when I think of power, ground, remote, two sets or rca's, etc. thats going to be a fairly large sized hole I need to drill in the garage.  Any tips?  How to hide the wiring, etc.

Haze - Did you ever send the RZ4 Back?  Before you completely install the PPi wire it up and see if you have the same issue.

AAWAV

Quote from: Gannicus on January 07, 2015, 11:43:40 PM
Quote from: haze324 on January 07, 2015, 04:36:32 PM

Haze - Did you ever send the RZ4 Back?  Before you completely install the PPi wire it up and see if you have the same issue.

I am with that!... wish he was closer and I would go over to help figure it out...
Gann - I did NOT drink last night - In fact, due to NOT drinking I woke up at freaking 4:45am  :scratch: :scratch:.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: vhmike73 on January 07, 2015, 07:12:44 PM
haze324: This site: http://Americanhardbag.com/products/harley-saddle-bag-wire-harness-for-speakers-amplifiers sells a specific "in the bag" amp install kit- though it's not exactly the cheapest alternative.

Yeah this is a pretty nice "kit" no doubt but quite pricey.  I guess it's all relevant to your budget.

I do my best to not have to mount amps in saddlebags mainly due to the fact that there is no airflow in these bags.  Amps, regardless of Class are going to get warm (some much more than others) with no airflow.

I've done a couple of Class D amp mounts in the saddlebags and used easily found, appropriately sized Molex connectors for the quick disconnects from Mouser.  As for hiding the wires, you're going to be pretty limited on what you can do with the wiring itself so as to be hidden.  On both of the saddlebag installs as well as any that I put speakers in the bags, I pull the chrome cover off the right rear fender support, ran my wiring in protective sheathing zip tied to the fender support then put the chrome cover back on.  The wires will exit out the back of the chrome cover.  From there, you want your wires entering the bag where the least amount of water intrusion is possible, that would be near the top of the bag maybe an inch or so under the lip where the lid meets the bag.  You can make it look more custom by using the HD saddlebag liners as I do on all my saddlebag installs whether just a speaker or an amp as well.  This allows you to zip tie, sheath, use zip tie sticky clips to secure the wires to inside of bag and then install your liner to cover everything up.  I've found it much more suitable to simply lay the thin RCA cables over the lip of the bag since they are the only wires that will need to be removed when the bag is removed.  Makes it easy and doesn't induce another point of failure by cutting and soldering RCA connections to the bag itself to accommodate the plugging and unplugging of the RCA cables.  I've been fortunate on the 2 amp/saddlebags I've installed because they were both custom bikes with custom rear fenders and custom saddlebags so everything was closed up from the rear where you couldn't see any wiring whatsoever.

I pulled off my dropbox stuff offline temporarily as I didn't want it left "over there".  I'll get you some pics in the next couple of days.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

ElGiganteJake

I'm not running an amp in my bags (2 pbrs fit in the batwing) but I am running part of my fast air setup in the bag.  I use quick disconnects and run the wires similar to what UN says along the fender (I have an over lay fender so it hides stuff well) and then into the bag, just down and over a bit from the front bag connector.  I have 3 holes in the one bag - 1 for hogtunes lids, 1 for power/ground to my airride valves, 1 for air lines.  Use grommets in all for a tight fit.

My bags are camtech extended bags and I am using liners in them.  I am running everything behind the liners and small cuts in the liners let the lines/wires through in the appropriate areas and keep things neat clean and hidden.
~Jake

haze324

Ah...that makes sense to run it thru the chrome covers on fenders.

Gann -- I haven't touched the PPI yet.  I'm waiting for CVO bags to get here and I'll start the install.  Probably won't be for two weeks.  I plan on trying out the RZ4 again hooked up to all speakers (going to use your 4ohm) and see if it works.  I'd prefer to use an amp in the fairing.  If not I'll give the PPI a try.  Was thinking of mounting it to the bottom of the bags using L-shaped brackets. 

I'm also cursious to hook both amps up and see if there is a noticable difference in sound between the RZ42000d and the PPI P900.4!

Thanks guys.

UltraNutZ

I'll mention also that the HD amp mount that is used on the CVO models although not a perfect fit for these larger amps, it does work well.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons