Biketronic system + Hogtunes tweeters = UGH...

Started by Kryingame, January 07, 2015, 06:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryingame

This is just a learning lesson that I want to share.

Here's my current setup:
2012 SG
Biketronic (BT) 7.1's in the fairing;
BT 6.5's in the lowers;
BT 4180 Amp;
Biketronics radio install kit;
Pioneer TSD-6902R 6x9's
Sony MEX-GS610BT, HU;
Hogtune tweeters.

Now, on paper that's a solid setup.  I'll admit when I first started with audio, Bigdaddy UN advised me not to go with the Hogtune tweeters.  He said that they would contribute very little.

The problem was, after 15 minutes of playing my tunes, I kept blowing a fuse.  Couldn't figure out why.  I then took everything apart to see if I wasn't grounded properly or if there was a loose wire.  Nothing. Just kept blowing fuses.

I called Biketronics and spoke to Bill and told him my dilemma.  After a few seconds, he diagnosed the problem.

The BT 4180 is a 4 channel amp, so I was running the fairing and lowers parallel.  And then having the 6x9's going into the other channels.  But, I had the Hogtune tweeters cut and parallel with the fairing and lower speakers.  I never gave it a second thought because how powerful could those damn tweeters be?  Well, they were the problem.  They were causing my system to overload and blow the fuse. 

Bill says if you're gonna run those tweeters, have them run into the HU and not with the other speakers into the amp.  Since those tweeters really can't contribute much, I just decided to disconnected them and put some electric tape around the wires.  200 miles later, I'm blasting my system and no fuse blowouts.

Point of this story is, fully plan out your set up.  Before you start wiring up, think it through and even talk to an expert.  Even something small as tweeters can cause a major F/U.

To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

Quote from: Kryingame on January 07, 2015, 06:56:08 PM
This is just a learning lesson that I want to share.

Here's my current setup:
2012 SG
Biketronic (BT) 7.1's in the fairing;
BT 6.5's in the lowers;
BT 4180 Amp;
Biketronics radio install kit;
Pioneer TSD-6902R 6x9's
Sony MEX-GS610BT, HU;
Hogtune tweeters.

Now, on paper that's a solid setup.  I'll admit when I first started with audio, Bigdaddy UN advised me not to go with the Hogtune tweeters.  He said that they would contribute very little.

The problem was, after 15 minutes of playing my tunes, I kept blowing a fuse.  Couldn't figure out why.  I then took everything apart to see if I wasn't grounded properly or if there was a loose wire.  Nothing. Just kept blowing fuses.

I called Biketronics and spoke to Bill and told him my dilemma.  After a few seconds, he diagnosed the problem.

The BT 4180 is a 4 channel amp, so I was running the fairing and lowers parallel.  And then having the 6x9's going into the other channels.  But, I had the Hogtune tweeters cut and parallel with the fairing and lower speakers.  I never gave it a second thought because how powerful could those damn tweeters be?  Well, they were the problem.  They were causing my system to overload and blow the fuse. 

Bill says if you're gonna run those tweeters, have them run into the HU and not with the other speakers into the amp.  Since those tweeters really can't contribute much, I just decided to disconnected them and put some electric tape around the wires.  200 miles later, I'm blasting my system and no fuse blowouts.

Point of this story is, fully plan out your set up.  Before you start wiring up, think it through and even talk to an expert.  Even something small as tweeters can cause a major F/U.
I did the same thing you did but blew 4 sets of bts I took them off the bike Bill sent me new speaker's and it stopped. In the long run I really did not care I did not like the way hog tweeters looked. Put in gauge tweeters

Kryingame

So, your speakers blew from those damn tweeters?  wow!!!

Since I have a Sony HU, I was able to listen to each set of speakers (with the Sony app).  My speakers are fine.  When I first started having problems, I uninstalled the amp and Bill sent me a new one.  Sucks because I now know there was nothing wrong with the amp  but it's great to know that there are actual good reputable vendors out there (surprise, surprise).  I'm talking about Biketronics not ....
To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

Quote from: Kryingame on January 07, 2015, 07:16:04 PM
So, your speakers blew from those damn tweeters?  wow!!!

Since I have a Sony HU, I was able to listen to each set of speakers (with the Sony app).  My speakers are fine.  When I first started having problems, I uninstalled the amp and Bill sent me a new one.  Sucks because I now know there was nothing wrong with the amp  but it's great to know that there are actual good reputable vendors out there (surprise, surprise).  I'm talking about Biketronics not ....
that's really funny. To get honest though bill is the one that figured out the hogtunes were blowing my speakers the way they were wired. Go with the gauge ones and you'll be a lot happier just go off the hu wires not the amp .

Kryingame

Seriously though, since BT also sells those tweeters, they should warn folks.

Now, I didn't buy the tweeters from them but when I was putting my order together, I do remember mentioning that I had Hogtune tweeters installed. 

That would have saved me alot of time and cash, had I known in the beginning.

But oh well, it's a lesson learned.
To many mods to tell...

I love my Hogtunes tweeters, I feel the add a lot to the system going down the road.
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

zeke383

I'm surprised that you felt you needed the tweeters with the BT 7.1's and 6.5's in front of you. Personally, with just my 7.1's in the fairing (haven't installed my 6.5's in the lowers yet) more highs are the last thing I would want. We're your highs lacking? Just curious...

tdgriff

Quote from: zeke383 on January 08, 2015, 04:55:23 AM
I'm surprised that you felt you needed the tweeters with the BT 7.1's and 6.5's in front of you. Personally, with just my 7.1's in the fairing (haven't installed my 6.5's in the lowers yet) more highs are the last thing I would want. We're your highs lacking? Just curious...
I love highs in my system . I think it sounds better. Its funny how we all have different way's we hear music.  What I like the next guy mite not like it.

Kryingame

Quote from: zeke383 on January 08, 2015, 04:55:23 AM

I had the tweeters previously installed before I went to Biketronics.  When I first started audio I had Polk Db651's installed (Yuck). In my opinion, tweeters aren't needed if one has Biketronics.  Lesson learned, the hard way.
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Now you have me worried if I might have issue coming up? I also had my tweeters prior to going with my biketronics setup, the gauge hole hawg wired tweeters. Currently with my 7.1 fairing and 6x9 saddlebag biketronics speakers being powered by the BT 4180 I have no issues and the tweeters still sound great.
But with my CVO speaker pods coming and getting ready to add the BT 6.5 speakers in the lowers and the BT 7.1 rear tour pack pods, if I might start having issues using the tweeters as well. Worse case I'll pull the tweeters and install the last two Dakota digital gauges, but hopefully everything works out the way I have it planned.
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

tdgriff

Quote from: hdrolling on January 08, 2015, 04:10:03 PM
Now you have me worried if I might have issue coming up? I also had my tweeters prior to going with my biketronics setup, the gauge hole hawg wired tweeters. Currently with my 7.1 fairing and 6x9 saddlebag biketronics speakers being powered by the BT 4180 I have no issues and the tweeters still sound great.
But with my CVO speaker pods coming and getting ready to add the BT 6.5 speakers in the lowers and the BT 7.1 rear tour pack pods, if I might start having issues using the tweeters as well. Worse case I'll pull the tweeters and install the last two Dakota digital gauges, but hopefully everything works out the way I have it planned.
you will be OK . BILL and I went threw my set up you and I have the same set up . What I did wrong was I hooked up the tweeter pods off the speakers. Bill told me to go off the back of the HU bypass the amp. I did that never had a problem again. I sent my amp back Bill sent me a knew he tested my old amp and found nothing wrong. So the only answer we had was the hog tunes.

Biketronics Inc

Hi Guys,

Really sorry about the hassle on this, I did not realize Kryingame had the tweeters on his bike at first, this did drag out the troubleshooting longer than it should have.  What usually happens is one or both of the tweeters start to go and cause a short across one channel.  Our amp will try to power through it and starts putting out more power because of the reduced ohm load.  It usually comes and goes as the tweeter voice coil heats up, so the amp randomly draws a lot of power and pops the fuse or blows a speaker from the big spike.

I added a note on our webpage, the problem is a lot of people already have them before calling us for upgrades or order online so we have no idea.  I will try and figure out any other way we can do better at catching this before install.

Bill
1-800-735-2419

chunngle

Quote from: Biketronics Inc. on January 13, 2015, 01:07:35 PM
Hi Guys,

Really sorry about the hassle on this, I did not realize Kryingame had the tweeters on his bike at first, this did drag out the troubleshooting longer than it should have.  What usually happens is one or both of the tweeters start to go and cause a short across one channel.  Our amp will try to power through it and starts putting out more power because of the reduced ohm load.  It usually comes and goes as the tweeter voice coil heats up, so the amp randomly draws a lot of power and pops the fuse or blows a speaker from the big spike.

I added a note on our webpage, the problem is a lot of people already have them before calling us for upgrades or order online so we have no idea.  I will try and figure out any other way we can do better at catching this before install.

Bill

Outstanding!!!! It doesn't get much better than this!

tdgriff

Hi Guys,

Bill
Thanks Bill I remember you and I talking about this 6 or 7 months ago. I was blowing 7.1s like crazy. I can't even tell you how many set's I went threw until I realized my hog tune we're not working and that's when you told me to unhook them I have not blowen a speaker yet.

UltraNutZ

Hi Guys,

Bill

exactly why I tell folks if you're going to use them, connect them directly to the head unit.  Me personally and as tdgriff stated it's all about the person, but I've never found the need for tweets.  Just too much screaming in my old sensitive ears.  :-)
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

SF Doc

:scratch: so when you say connect directly to the HU, do you mean splice into the output speaker wires between the HU and the Amp? Sorry guys Im new at this audio and don't want to screw it up. I have the Jensen HD1BT installed and am waiting for my Fosgste PBR 300x2 and Kappa 62.11i.
Get ready UN, I will most likely be bugging the  :turd: out of you during the install. Looking forward to having some music I can actually hear at 70+ mph.
    Thanks,
        Doc    :banghead:
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

Quote from: SF Doc on January 13, 2015, 11:11:43 PM
:scratch: so when you say connect directly to the HU, do you mean splice into the output speaker wires between the HU and the Amp? Sorry guys Im new at this audio and don't want to screw it up. I have the Jensen HD1BT installed and am waiting for my Fosgste PBR 300x2 and Kappa 62.11i.
Get ready UN, I will most likely be bugging the  :turd: out of you during the install. Looking forward to having some music I can actually hear at 70+ mph.
    Thanks,
        Doc    :banghead:

ask away bud.. it's what we're here for.

Just to make sure you understand we are talking about the Hogtunes Tweeter Pods that mount to the inner fairing.

SF Doc

yep its the HT tweeter pods, so how do I wire it to the output between the HU and the AMP?

Thanks
Doc
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

if you're using the RCA outputs of the head unit then simply connect them to the front speaker outputs of the head unit.
if you're using the speaker level outputs of the head as inputs for the amp then simply wire them in parallel with the speaker input connector for the amp.

SF Doc

January 14, 2015, 08:28:03 AM #19 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:49:16 AM by SF Doc
let me make sure I understand, I connect the HT pod to the outputs from the HU wires in parallel prior to the AMP? then I can run my 62.11i's from the output side of the AMP? Sorry Im new to wiring audioand don't want to screw it up. Thanks for your patience.
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

yes sir that's correct.

but.... if you don't have them installed yet then do everything else FIRST to determine whether you need them in the first place.  Lots of folks install them and then determine they really didn't need/want them and then they're left with holes in the inner fairing if they take them off.

tdgriff

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 14, 2015, 08:30:26 AM
yes sir that's correct.

but.... if you don't have them installed yet then do everything else FIRST to determine whether you need them in the first place.  Lots of folks install them and then determine they really didn't need/want them and then they're left with holes in the inner fairing if they take them off.
that is very good advice. I took mine off and now I have four holes in my interfering I had to go to the hardware store and by little black plugs to pop in there you really can't see them I just wish I never would have done it in the first place.

SF Doc

Thanks UN, I appreciate your help and patience.
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: chunngle on January 13, 2015, 01:51:06 PM
Hi Guys,

Bill

Outstanding!!!! It doesn't get much better than this!

See, this is great service seriously.  I haven't been on in a few days and I'm happy to see guys talking about this. I can't tell you how pissed I was but really, I should have told Bill and his colleague that I had those crappy tweeters.  Please don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming them for any of the mishap.  Bill diagnosed the problem within 2 minutes of hearing my story.  I spoke to my local dealership as well as an audio mod shop and neither had no idea.  But, I'm now 100% satisfied.  When I had my inner fairing painted, I also had the tweeter shell painted so, although it's no longer connected, it doesn't look bad.  But this was a lesson learned and I'm glad that the issue is now resolved.

Thanks everyone for your input.  Thanks Bill for your candid post.

To many mods to tell...

Gannicus

January 15, 2015, 02:11:11 AM #24 Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:17:31 AM by Gannicus
Win Win all the way around for you Kryingame! With Nutz and Bill Both posting on your thread there was no way you were going to lose! As Chunngle said "It doesn't get any better than this"   :wink: :wink: Glad your at 100% my friend!

SF Doc

You are absolutely correct these guys rock, I needed clear concise advice  :scratch: and got it without someone hijacking the thread with a d$ck measuring contest. Thanks again for the great instruction and advice

Doc  :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: SF Doc on January 15, 2015, 06:32:53 PM
You are absolutely correct these guys rock, I needed clear concise advice  :scratch: and got it without someone hijacking the thread with a d$ck measuring contest. Thanks again for the great instruction and advice

I'm probably late with this but seriously, I strongly recommend not getting those tweeters because they're a waste of money.  If you insist on getting tweeters, invest in some quality tweeters. 

My daddy always said that I'm hardheaded and like to learn things the hard way.   UN warned me not to get those tweeters.  Heck, I might still have the message from him.  But hardheaded me...what does UN know.  He's only been dealing with bike stereo's for the past 20+ years and his hobby is actually understanding this bike/electronic crap....A hundred headaches later, I'd like to smack myself for not taking UN's original advice and passing on those crappy tweeters.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

I'm sure you've found some nice stickers to put over those inner fairing holes by now huh?      :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

Coyote

UltraNutZ

Gannicus

Quote from: Kryingame on January 23, 2015, 12:22:26 PM
Quote from: SF Doc on January 15, 2015, 06:32:53 PM

I'm probably late with this but seriously, I strongly recommend not getting those tweeters because they're a waste of money.  If you insist on getting tweeters, invest in some quality tweeters. 

My daddy always said that I'm hardheaded and like to learn things the hard way.   UN warned me not to get those tweeters.  Heck, I might still have the message from him.  But hardheaded me...what does UN know.  He's only been dealing with bike stereo's for the past 20+ years and his hobby is actually understanding this bike/electronic crap....A hundred headaches later, I'd like to smack myself for not taking UN's original advice and passing on those crappy tweeters.

Well Hells fire Game. . . I could of told you that!!  Always bet on Nutz. . .LMAO!!

UltraNutZ

well in all honesty and fairness I have to say this.  My recommendations are more based on the "try before you drill" theory than anything else.  The tweeters are nice pods if that's what you like but I just don't see a need for them personally especially when coupled with good quality fairing speakers such as the BT, Kappa, etc.  In KG's situation though, he actually had a problem with the tweeters that caused the issues with the amp.  KG, you could replace them sir, and just connect them to the head unit outputs.

hdrolling

I finally installed all 8 of the biketronics speakers, after about an hour of riding I blew a fuse. I was playing it loud out in the country, and a song came on that was distorted and before I could turn it down it blew the fuse.

So my question is for you guys bowing fuses with the tweeters hooked up was it immediately or after a while? I wondering if my hawg wired tweeters need to go or be wired to the head unit, worse case I have two more Dakota Digital gauges laying on the shelf. But the hawg wired tweeters really fill out the sound for my set up.

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 01:49:22 PM
I finally installed all 8 of the biketronics speakers, after about an hour of riding I blew a fuse. I was playing it loud out in the country, and a song came on that was distorted and before I could turn it down it blew the fuse.

So my question is for you guys bowing fuses with the tweeters hooked up was it immediately or after a while? I wondering if my hawg wired tweeters need to go or be wired to the head unit, worse case I have two more Dakota Digital gauges laying on the shelf. But the hawg wired tweeters really fill out the sound for my set up.

Each time that the fuses blew it was within 10-15 minutes of riding....Here's the weird thing, after the first few fuses blew, I let the system run while in my garage.  I did 3 full hours of music blasting and there were no blow-outs.  Everytime I blew a fuse, it was while riding.  Also, I don't abuse the system.  On my Sony HU, the loudest that I'll ever go is 27 (the max volume is 50).   

In my opinion, tweeters are not needed with the biketronics sound system.  They honestly won't make a necessary contribution.  I just disconnected my Hogtune speaker wires and put electric tape on the ends.  the tweeters are still attached to the innerfairing but no longer connected to any power source.
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Quote from: Kryingame on January 25, 2015, 02:57:01 PM

Each time that the fuses blew it was within 10-15 minutes of riding....Here's the weird thing, after the first few fuses blew, I let the system run while in my garage.  I did 3 full hours of music blasting and there were no blow-outs.  Everytime I blew a fuse, it was while riding.  Also, I don't abuse the system.  On my Sony HU, the loudest that I'll ever go is 27 (the max volume is 50).   

In my opinion, tweeters are not needed with the biketronics sound system.  They honestly won't make a necessary contribution.  I just disconnected my Hogtune speaker wires and put electric tape on the ends.  the tweeters are still attached to the innerfairing but no longer connected to any power source.

Ah, I see. I might not have an issue then, I was playing for a while and out in the country and on the highway I'm normally in the 37-40 volume range. I have one song that wasn't recorded well and I think I had it cranked to about 43-44, whne the normal song came on it was too high and popped a fuse.

I'm not sure if my gauge tweeters help or not but they sound great, very clear. They don't overpower with just highs, I'm sure if I pulled them I wouldn't notice but I like them.

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

Ah, I see. I might not have an issue then, I was playing for a while and out in the country and on the highway I'm normally in the 37-40 volume range. I have one song that wasn't recorded well and I think I had it cranked to about 43-44, whne the normal song came on it was too high and popped a fuse.

I'm not sure if my gauge tweeters help or not but they sound great, very clear. They don't overpower with just highs, I'm sure if I pulled them I wouldn't notice but I like them.

We have similar set up and HU.  Dang, your normal range is 37-40? You're probably tone deaf now. lol.  I guess I'm still nervous about blowing a fuse of something that I never put it about 27 (and that's really loud). 
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Quote from: Kryingame on January 25, 2015, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

We have similar set up and HU.  Dang, your normal range is 37-40? You're probably tone deaf now. lol.  I guess I'm still nervous about blowing a fuse of something that I never put it about 27 (and that's really loud).

I've been tone deaf for years, after 22 years as an 11C indirect fire infantryman (Mortars) my hearing is all but gone. Back in my youth I also installed and owned bigger car stereos for myself and friends. Audio has always been a passion of mine but I got away from it when I started having kids in the car.

Gannicus

[/quote]

Like Kryingame anything over 27 scares the hell out of me on my bike. . . lol    I've never had it turned up to 35 let alone 37-40. WOW!

hdrolling

Yeah I like to party!

This is using the rear USB plugged directly into my Iphone 4S, playing either a music from a playlist or streaming XM radio. I've never used a CD or tried any of  the other modes to play music. No good FM stations local and when I tried Bluetooth my phone would stop playing and pause by itself after one song.

Anything less than 37 and I wouldn't be able to ear it well going down the highway, at least not with my 6" shield. Haven't tried with my 9" yet. And 40 is about as high as I can go before it starts to distort, that's sitting still in the garage or on the road. Very clear!

Kryingame

Last night, after seeing hdrolling post, I decided to test my system.
I synced my Note 4 phone via Bluetooth to my Sony MEX headunit and started streaming from Spotify. 
Normally, I keep my volume at 27 but pushed it up to 40.  I heard static and then silence--I blew a fuse.

I just had a great conversation with Robin at Biketronics.  He offered some suggestions:
1 - On the Sony HU, he suggests starting the Hi Pass Filter at 80 HZ with a slope of 2;
2 - Despite all of the configurations from the Sony EQ, keep the level at Flat (I've read this before but I misinterpreted this to mean, keep the EQ on the phone at Flat, not the HU.  I always keep the EQ on Rock);
3 - He said that some of the guys at Biketronics, use Fat Mat instead of Polyfil.  I understand the concept of Polyfil but it does give off a hollow sound; and
4 - Here's what I was thinking and he confirmed, when playing the music loud, the Bluetooth feature is causing more stress to the system so, use a USB or wired connection.

He did say that extreme levels such as 40 will cause distortion.

One question I neglected to ask him is, should I keep the "Loud" feature from the HU on or off?  If one of you guys can chime in on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Those guys at BT are awesome.  They really know their stuff and can diagnose issues very well.  Later tonight, I'm going to re-adjust my system.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

SF Doc

So after setting gains by ear ( per your instructions ) is it ok to use the "loud" setting on the HU?
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

SF Doc

Holy Crap !! I just tried it, I thought it was loud before, It is crazy loud, should have no trouble hearing (or sharing) music at 70 mph ++  :speaker: :speaker:

Thanks UltraNutz :teeth:
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 10:57:10 AM
KG are you talking about when setting gains?

No.  The gains can not be set/modified with the BT4180.  I'm referring to volume distortion and possible reasons why I blew a fuse.  The set up with my HU was not correct.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

legal disclaimer:  UltraNutZ, HTT, nor the "Audio Clan" are not responsible for noise ordinance tickets, you're on your own.   :hyst:

SF Doc

Noted: " Your Honor! " I have no recollection of who imparted the audio advice!!!! :nix: :scratch: :nix:
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Kryingame on January 26, 2015, 01:21:57 PM

No.  The gains can not be set/modified with the BT4180.  I'm referring to volume distortion and possible reasons why I blew a fuse.  The set up with my HU was not correct.

ah.. forgot you were running BT amp.  If not mistaken, that head unit tested out to clip at about 45 of 50 volume correct?  Been a while I may be mistaken.  What is your speaker configuration again?

Kryingame

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 01:27:42 PM

ah.. forgot you were running BT amp.  If not mistaken, that head unit tested out to clip at about 45 of 50 volume correct?  Been a while I may be mistaken.  What is your speaker configuration again?

Yup, the max volume is 50.  I usually keep it at 27.  I have the 7.1's in the fairing; 6.5's in the lowers and Pioneer 6x9.s. 
My issue was, why did I blow a fuse when I pushed the volume to 40.  I'm gonna try Robin's suggestions in a few minutes.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

good solid ground?
good solid power?
what size wires did you use for wires running to battery?
can you duplicate issue in garage and if so does the amp get hot?

if it's starving for power in the higher volume ranges it will inevitably pop a fuse as the wires heat up.

might be a speaker shorting when the voice coil get's hot and causing the amp to clip but I would think it would go into protect mode before it pops a fuse.

Kryingame

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 01:35:35 PM
good solid ground?
good solid power?
what size wires did you use for wires running to battery?
can you duplicate issue in garage and if so does the amp get hot?

if it's starving for power in the higher volume ranges it will inevitably pop a fuse as the wires heat up.

might be a speaker shorting when the voice coil get's hot and causing the amp to clip but I would think it would go into protect mode before it pops a fuse.

Geez UN, that's a lot for me to figure out.  lol.
Seriously though, due to the power of the Biketronics stuff, I never go above 27-30 on my volume.  Above that level, I find that the sound starts to distort and it's literally deafening.  Last night, I was curious and pushed it to 40 and got the blown fuse. 

I forget the wire that I'm using but that's never been a problem and I'm grounded in the triple tree where BT recommends.  I honestly don't think that I have a real issue here.  Because there's no way that I'm gonna ride with my volume at 40.  With the volume at 27, I can clearly hear my music on the highway.  I don't need it to sound like my car stereo.  I just wanted to share some information that I learned today.
To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

January 26, 2015, 04:16:11 PM #51 Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 04:22:38 PM by tdgriff
Quote from: Kryingame on January 26, 2015, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 01:27:42 PM

Yup, the max volume is 50.  I usually keep it at 27.  I have the 7.1's in the fairing; 6.5's in the lowers and Pioneer 6x9.s. 
My issue was, why did I blow a fuse when I pushed the volume to 40.  I'm gonna try Robin's suggestions in a few minutes.
I run mine at 35 most the time with no problem. I did take out the hog tunes and after that I am a lot happier. No more blowing speakers.

Kryingame

Okay,I just reconfigured my Head Unit.  HUGE DIFFERENCE!!! And, I was just able to push the volume over 40 with no fuse blow outs. (and again, that's just to damn loud for anybody to enjoy).

Here's what I discovered what was wrong on my H.U.:
1 - The High Pass Filter was set to high, so I set it to 80 HZ with a slope of 2;
2 - Oddly, the Equalizer on the H.U. was set to Hip Hop but the Equalizer on my phone remote control was set to Rock.  (I was able to turn the phone to Flat configuration and the H.U. to Off);
3 - I did turn the AAV (advanced auto volume) on the H.U. to Off;
4 - And I turned the C.Audio+ (Clear audio+) to On;
5 - Finally, I turned off my Bluetooth and connected the phone directly to the HU VIA wire connection.

While, the system doesn't kick as hard as when the Equalizer was on, the sound is much clearer and, I can push the volume louder than 27.  Keep in mind, the max volume is 50; therefore, with my wrong configuration, I was only a bit above the half way mark.

This was good dialogue.  I'm very appreciative of everyone who contributed to this thread.  I had my damn system for a good while but didn't even realize that it wasn't set up properly.  I guess that's another kudos to Biketronics.  You can have the system incorrectly powered up at half way and still blow other systems away. 

Thanks again to everybody for their input.  I can't believe how powerful my damn system is. 
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

hdrolling

I have my loud turned off, If it was on I don't think I could got to 40 un-distorted.

Glad you figured out what was causing your fuse issue Kryingame. If you need a spot to keep plugging in your phone the rear USB cable should reach under your tank all the way back just before your saddlebag. And then with your phone cable plugged in it will fit in the saddlebag if you want to keep it out of the way.

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 27, 2015, 06:03:02 AM
I have my loud turned off, If it was on I don't think I could got to 40 un-distorted.

Glad you figured out what was causing your fuse issue Kryingame. If you need a spot to keep plugging in your phone the rear USB cable should reach under your tank all the way back just before your saddlebag. And then with your phone cable plugged in it will fit in the saddlebag if you want to keep it out of the way.

Again, I didn't realize that I had a problem. With the max volume level 27, the sound is insane. I was fine until I read your posting of going to volume level 40.  Based on your new recommendation, I'm going to turn the Loud feature off.

I keep my cell phone on a Ram mount on the right side of the handle bar and connect the phone to the HU by a 3.5mm audio jack. My phone can't connect to a USB. Heck, I'm happy.
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

To be honest, if you had it the way you wanted it your 27 might have sounded better than my 40. Mine isn't adjusted in the head unit at all. Now that I have all the speakers installed I can start to fine tune, after that I might not be able to go over 27 but still have it just as loud and more clear than my 40 was.  :doh:

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 27, 2015, 07:08:56 AM
To be honest, if you had it the way you wanted it your 27 might have sounded better than my 40. Mine isn't adjusted in the head unit at all. Now that I have all the speakers installed I can start to fine tune, after that I might not be able to go over 27 but still have it just as loud and more clear than my 40 was.  :doh:

This was a great thread.  I really learned a lot more about my system.  Also, what's great about this forum is the ability to chat, share and learn w/o having big brother editing posts and threatening members and more importantly, not having sponsors constantly butting in for the purpose of marketing their products.  I'm positive that the gang at Biketronics are following and reading this thread (Hi Bill..Hi Robin.  Robin thanks again for all of your help) but they're not interfering.  Bill came in and made his statement and even put a disclaimer on his website about using those tweeters with his system and then he left.  His gang is always a phone call away for questions.  I really appreciate that.

Dialogue is good.  Thanks all.   :hug: 

(By the way hdrolling, I'm gonna need your help again).  I'm thinking of upgrading to the premium hinges and latches on my tourpak.  But, that's a conversation for another day.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Kryingame on January 27, 2015, 07:32:54 AM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 27, 2015, 07:08:56 AM

This was a great thread.  I really learned a lot more about my system.  Also, what's great about this forum is the ability to chat, share and learn w/o having big brother editing posts and threatening members and more importantly, not having sponsors constantly butting in for the purpose of marketing their products.  I'm positive that the gang at Biketronics are following and reading this thread (Hi Bill..Hi Robin.  Robin thanks again for all of your help) but they're not interfering.  Bill came in and made his statement and even put a disclaimer on his website about using those tweeters with his system and then he left.  His gang is always a phone call away for questions.  I really appreciate that.

Dialogue is good.  Thanks all.   :hug: 

(By the way hdrolling, I'm gonna need your help again).  I'm thinking of upgrading to the premium hinges and latches on my tourpak.  But, that's a conversation for another day.

With a customer service department and product reputation such as BT, who needs sales pitches and ads floating around everywhere.  I think it's remarkable myself to see four ads in every edition of Baggers Magazine for J&M, usually 1 for HW, I think I saw one last month for Shark Motorcycle Audio, but I never see an ad anywhere for BT.  That should tell you something.  Word of mouth is and always has been your best venue of advertising and some people simply don't get it and I'll leave it at that.

PS.  Those hinges and lock are one of the best things I've done to my bike, although I admittedly did it for cosmetic reasons, the functional aspect of it is top notch as well.

AAWAV

FWIW... during BT amp tests I had 1000hz sine wave signal (wav file - 0db) playing on my Pioneer deck.
this was clipping at EXACTLY 41 volume out of 62. 40 was fine.
EQ off or better said flat, no HPF or LPF set on the deck, sound enhancer set to 1.

Kry - you might already know from the dark side... use mp2gain or similar to take song volume differences out of the equation (I use 93Db setting in mp3gain).
also, wired phone will be "better" than BlueTooth - I do doubt if you will hear the difference though on the freeway.
mp3: "get" the highest quality files (aka 320kbs)
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Gannicus

LOL. . . The dark side is getting darker all the time!  Amen to Nutz's comments. When I walk into Harley Davidson to purchase a new scoot my mind is already made up. No need for a sales pitch.  The product sells itself.  Word of mouth always has and always will be king.

hdrolling

Quote from: Kryingame on January 27, 2015, 06:39:06 AM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 27, 2015, 06:03:02 AM

Again, I didn't realize that I had a problem. With the max volume level 27, the sound is insane. I was fine until I read your posting of going to volume level 40.  Based on your new recommendation, I'm going to turn the Loud feature off.

I keep my cell phone on a Ram mount on the right side of the handle bar and connect the phone to the HU by a 3.5mm audio jack. My phone can't connect to a USB. Heck, I'm happy.

So for the hell of it I tried setting my EQ on my Sony to "Rock", it did sound awesome in the garage. But on the road anything more than 25 and it started cracking up the speakers. Turned the EQ off and all was well again. If your volume turns up as high as mine does with the EQ off as compared to what it sounded like with the "Rock" setting I'm betting your setup sounds like a whole new system?

Kryingame

So for the hell of it I tried setting my EQ on my Sony to "Rock", it did sound awesome in the garage. But on the road anything more than 25 and it started cracking up the speakers. Turned the EQ off and all was well again. If your volume turns up as high as mine does with the EQ off as compared to what it sounded like with the "Rock" setting I'm betting your setup sounds like a whole new system?
[/quote]

Guess it's depending on what you like.   Previously, the highest I ever put the volume was 30 and yes, it did start distorting.  27 was my sweet spot.  So even at highway speeds at 27, I'm able to hear the music fine.  But at red lights, 27 makes me that annoying guy and I'd turn the volume down. Based on your suggestions, I do like that I can now raise my volume as high as 40 w/o distortion.  I think for highway riding, I'm going to have the EQ off and volume at higher volume but around town, I'm going to have the EQ on and the volume lower.  With the EQ off, you are sacrificing some of the great sound.
To many mods to tell...

AAWAV

keep in mind an EQ is nothing more than a "selective" volume (frequency range) increase (or decrease). this is a simplified statement right!

When I was testing the amps, flat EQ and then set to my original setting there was a "huge" volume increase...

it all depends on your HU. mine got a 5 band EQ, with several presets programmed like Vocal, Rock, powerful, blablabla but also the ability to set 2 custom settings.
keep loudness turned off, be careful with AVC as well.

hdrolling

Quote from: AAWAV on January 27, 2015, 09:32:13 PM
keep in mind an EQ is nothing more than a "selective" volume (frequency range) increase (or decrease). this is a simplified statement right!

When I was testing the amps, flat EQ and then set to my original setting there was a "huge" volume increase...

it all depends on your HU. mine got a 5 band EQ, with several presets programmed like Vocal, Rock, powerful, blablabla but also the ability to set 2 custom settings.

That's where I'm at now, tweaking the Sony 10-band equalizer.

AAWAV

Quote from: AAWAV on January 27, 2015, 09:32:13 PM

got a Question on AVC versus AAV and AV (my initials LOL).
AVC - automatic volume control on the bike (aftermarket only BT100x supports is)
AAV / AV: this is a synonym for adjusting volume of mp3 playing through the unit, BlueTooth, usb, aux, whatever. you can adjust volumes compared to f.e. Radio stations. this will not impact a lot... there is also an option (on my deck) to improve the sound of the mp3s. not hurting a lot either...