April 27, 2024, 08:11:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Biketronic system + Hogtunes tweeters = UGH...

Started by Kryingame, January 07, 2015, 06:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SF Doc

You are absolutely correct these guys rock, I needed clear concise advice  :scratch: and got it without someone hijacking the thread with a d$ck measuring contest. Thanks again for the great instruction and advice

Doc  :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: SF Doc on January 15, 2015, 06:32:53 PM
You are absolutely correct these guys rock, I needed clear concise advice  :scratch: and got it without someone hijacking the thread with a d$ck measuring contest. Thanks again for the great instruction and advice

I'm probably late with this but seriously, I strongly recommend not getting those tweeters because they're a waste of money.  If you insist on getting tweeters, invest in some quality tweeters. 

My daddy always said that I'm hardheaded and like to learn things the hard way.   UN warned me not to get those tweeters.  Heck, I might still have the message from him.  But hardheaded me...what does UN know.  He's only been dealing with bike stereo's for the past 20+ years and his hobby is actually understanding this bike/electronic crap....A hundred headaches later, I'd like to smack myself for not taking UN's original advice and passing on those crappy tweeters.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

I'm sure you've found some nice stickers to put over those inner fairing holes by now huh?      :hyst: :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Coyote

UltraNutZ

Gannicus

Quote from: Kryingame on January 23, 2015, 12:22:26 PM
Quote from: SF Doc on January 15, 2015, 06:32:53 PM

I'm probably late with this but seriously, I strongly recommend not getting those tweeters because they're a waste of money.  If you insist on getting tweeters, invest in some quality tweeters. 

My daddy always said that I'm hardheaded and like to learn things the hard way.   UN warned me not to get those tweeters.  Heck, I might still have the message from him.  But hardheaded me...what does UN know.  He's only been dealing with bike stereo's for the past 20+ years and his hobby is actually understanding this bike/electronic crap....A hundred headaches later, I'd like to smack myself for not taking UN's original advice and passing on those crappy tweeters.

Well Hells fire Game. . . I could of told you that!!  Always bet on Nutz. . .LMAO!!

UltraNutZ

well in all honesty and fairness I have to say this.  My recommendations are more based on the "try before you drill" theory than anything else.  The tweeters are nice pods if that's what you like but I just don't see a need for them personally especially when coupled with good quality fairing speakers such as the BT, Kappa, etc.  In KG's situation though, he actually had a problem with the tweeters that caused the issues with the amp.  KG, you could replace them sir, and just connect them to the head unit outputs.

hdrolling

I finally installed all 8 of the biketronics speakers, after about an hour of riding I blew a fuse. I was playing it loud out in the country, and a song came on that was distorted and before I could turn it down it blew the fuse.

So my question is for you guys bowing fuses with the tweeters hooked up was it immediately or after a while? I wondering if my hawg wired tweeters need to go or be wired to the head unit, worse case I have two more Dakota Digital gauges laying on the shelf. But the hawg wired tweeters really fill out the sound for my set up.
2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 01:49:22 PM
I finally installed all 8 of the biketronics speakers, after about an hour of riding I blew a fuse. I was playing it loud out in the country, and a song came on that was distorted and before I could turn it down it blew the fuse.

So my question is for you guys bowing fuses with the tweeters hooked up was it immediately or after a while? I wondering if my hawg wired tweeters need to go or be wired to the head unit, worse case I have two more Dakota Digital gauges laying on the shelf. But the hawg wired tweeters really fill out the sound for my set up.

Each time that the fuses blew it was within 10-15 minutes of riding....Here's the weird thing, after the first few fuses blew, I let the system run while in my garage.  I did 3 full hours of music blasting and there were no blow-outs.  Everytime I blew a fuse, it was while riding.  Also, I don't abuse the system.  On my Sony HU, the loudest that I'll ever go is 27 (the max volume is 50).   

In my opinion, tweeters are not needed with the biketronics sound system.  They honestly won't make a necessary contribution.  I just disconnected my Hogtune speaker wires and put electric tape on the ends.  the tweeters are still attached to the innerfairing but no longer connected to any power source.
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Quote from: Kryingame on January 25, 2015, 02:57:01 PM

Each time that the fuses blew it was within 10-15 minutes of riding....Here's the weird thing, after the first few fuses blew, I let the system run while in my garage.  I did 3 full hours of music blasting and there were no blow-outs.  Everytime I blew a fuse, it was while riding.  Also, I don't abuse the system.  On my Sony HU, the loudest that I'll ever go is 27 (the max volume is 50).   

In my opinion, tweeters are not needed with the biketronics sound system.  They honestly won't make a necessary contribution.  I just disconnected my Hogtune speaker wires and put electric tape on the ends.  the tweeters are still attached to the innerfairing but no longer connected to any power source.

Ah, I see. I might not have an issue then, I was playing for a while and out in the country and on the highway I'm normally in the 37-40 volume range. I have one song that wasn't recorded well and I think I had it cranked to about 43-44, whne the normal song came on it was too high and popped a fuse.

I'm not sure if my gauge tweeters help or not but they sound great, very clear. They don't overpower with just highs, I'm sure if I pulled them I wouldn't notice but I like them.

Kryingame

Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

Ah, I see. I might not have an issue then, I was playing for a while and out in the country and on the highway I'm normally in the 37-40 volume range. I have one song that wasn't recorded well and I think I had it cranked to about 43-44, whne the normal song came on it was too high and popped a fuse.

I'm not sure if my gauge tweeters help or not but they sound great, very clear. They don't overpower with just highs, I'm sure if I pulled them I wouldn't notice but I like them.

We have similar set up and HU.  Dang, your normal range is 37-40? You're probably tone deaf now. lol.  I guess I'm still nervous about blowing a fuse of something that I never put it about 27 (and that's really loud). 
To many mods to tell...

hdrolling

Quote from: Kryingame on January 25, 2015, 06:13:46 PM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 25, 2015, 05:52:40 PM

We have similar set up and HU.  Dang, your normal range is 37-40? You're probably tone deaf now. lol.  I guess I'm still nervous about blowing a fuse of something that I never put it about 27 (and that's really loud).

I've been tone deaf for years, after 22 years as an 11C indirect fire infantryman (Mortars) my hearing is all but gone. Back in my youth I also installed and owned bigger car stereos for myself and friends. Audio has always been a passion of mine but I got away from it when I started having kids in the car.

Gannicus

[/quote]

Like Kryingame anything over 27 scares the hell out of me on my bike. . . lol    I've never had it turned up to 35 let alone 37-40. WOW!

hdrolling

Yeah I like to party!

This is using the rear USB plugged directly into my Iphone 4S, playing either a music from a playlist or streaming XM radio. I've never used a CD or tried any of  the other modes to play music. No good FM stations local and when I tried Bluetooth my phone would stop playing and pause by itself after one song.

Anything less than 37 and I wouldn't be able to ear it well going down the highway, at least not with my 6" shield. Haven't tried with my 9" yet. And 40 is about as high as I can go before it starts to distort, that's sitting still in the garage or on the road. Very clear!

Kryingame

Last night, after seeing hdrolling post, I decided to test my system.
I synced my Note 4 phone via Bluetooth to my Sony MEX headunit and started streaming from Spotify. 
Normally, I keep my volume at 27 but pushed it up to 40.  I heard static and then silence--I blew a fuse.

I just had a great conversation with Robin at Biketronics.  He offered some suggestions:
1 - On the Sony HU, he suggests starting the Hi Pass Filter at 80 HZ with a slope of 2;
2 - Despite all of the configurations from the Sony EQ, keep the level at Flat (I've read this before but I misinterpreted this to mean, keep the EQ on the phone at Flat, not the HU.  I always keep the EQ on Rock);
3 - He said that some of the guys at Biketronics, use Fat Mat instead of Polyfil.  I understand the concept of Polyfil but it does give off a hollow sound; and
4 - Here's what I was thinking and he confirmed, when playing the music loud, the Bluetooth feature is causing more stress to the system so, use a USB or wired connection.

He did say that extreme levels such as 40 will cause distortion.

One question I neglected to ask him is, should I keep the "Loud" feature from the HU on or off?  If one of you guys can chime in on that, I'd really appreciate it.

Those guys at BT are awesome.  They really know their stuff and can diagnose issues very well.  Later tonight, I'm going to re-adjust my system.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

SF Doc

So after setting gains by ear ( per your instructions ) is it ok to use the "loud" setting on the HU?
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

SF Doc

Holy Crap !! I just tried it, I thought it was loud before, It is crazy loud, should have no trouble hearing (or sharing) music at 70 mph ++  :speaker: :speaker:

Thanks UltraNutz :teeth:
"Doc"

Kryingame

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 10:57:10 AM
KG are you talking about when setting gains?

No.  The gains can not be set/modified with the BT4180.  I'm referring to volume distortion and possible reasons why I blew a fuse.  The set up with my HU was not correct.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

legal disclaimer:  UltraNutZ, HTT, nor the "Audio Clan" are not responsible for noise ordinance tickets, you're on your own.   :hyst:

SF Doc

Noted: " Your Honor! " I have no recollection of who imparted the audio advice!!!! :nix: :scratch: :nix:
"Doc"

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Kryingame on January 26, 2015, 01:21:57 PM

No.  The gains can not be set/modified with the BT4180.  I'm referring to volume distortion and possible reasons why I blew a fuse.  The set up with my HU was not correct.

ah.. forgot you were running BT amp.  If not mistaken, that head unit tested out to clip at about 45 of 50 volume correct?  Been a while I may be mistaken.  What is your speaker configuration again?

Kryingame

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 26, 2015, 01:27:42 PM
Quote from: Kryingame on January 26, 2015, 01:21:57 PM

ah.. forgot you were running BT amp.  If not mistaken, that head unit tested out to clip at about 45 of 50 volume correct?  Been a while I may be mistaken.  What is your speaker configuration again?

Yup, the max volume is 50.  I usually keep it at 27.  I have the 7.1's in the fairing; 6.5's in the lowers and Pioneer 6x9.s. 
My issue was, why did I blow a fuse when I pushed the volume to 40.  I'm gonna try Robin's suggestions in a few minutes.
To many mods to tell...

UltraNutZ

good solid ground?
good solid power?
what size wires did you use for wires running to battery?
can you duplicate issue in garage and if so does the amp get hot?

if it's starving for power in the higher volume ranges it will inevitably pop a fuse as the wires heat up.

might be a speaker shorting when the voice coil get's hot and causing the amp to clip but I would think it would go into protect mode before it pops a fuse.