XR1200 - who owns one and do you like it?

Started by sfmichael, January 07, 2015, 10:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sfmichael

February 01, 2015, 03:25:20 AM #25 Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:27:59 AM by sfmichael
Quote from: Powerglides on February 01, 2015, 03:04:09 AM
Do you have a link?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291366408346?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The eBay ad sounds like he downplays the racing aspect of its history but in our discussion tonight he seemed a bit more forthcoming admitting the bike was raced fairly extensively.
Colorado Springs, CO.

Powerglides

It doesn't sound like the guy is trying to pull the wool over your eyes. A little surprised by the minor cosmetic damage, but this might be a combination of sloppy parts storage and a lack of care returning it to stock. Marks on the oil cooler may be due to where it was relocated for racing.
Run your hands along the bottom outside edge of the swingarm. They can get scuffed there if it goes up the track without the rider...
They are a very strong bike though.
The correct tank decals aren't available.
I have no idea of second hand values in the USA. Very few over here sell privately for more than the equivalent of $8000, even immaculate ones.
Boz

sfmichael

Thanks Boz - I do feel like he's being pretty straightforward with me. I'd have already bought it if it wasn't a former race bike, and still might. The values over here seem to be 6500-9500 and he's certainly reasonable on the price. I'll look it over closer the next time I check it out.
I REALLY appreciate your advice and assistance in my prospective purchase.  :up:
Colorado Springs, CO.

XRMark

sfmichael

No Mark, I didn't buy the one I rode locally. I was fairly underwhelmed by the performance, hoping for a faster bike and I didn't find the ergonomics of the bike comfortable for me. Maybe on this bike because it was a race bike, but the shifting was very vague /notchy / clunky...hard to describe. Very imprecise even for a Harley. Didn't like the bars, too low to ride upright and too high for the café / road racer feel. I haven't ruled it out, I'm pretty sure I still want one, maybe just not one that's had the sh*t rode out of it. The bike was very presentable and looked almost perfect but it was no 'steal deal' so if I'm going to pay fair market value, I'm going for a bike that hasn't been beat on too much (I hope;) and maybe one with some extras. These things need more power and it's likely I can find one at least with pipes and a tune. They're out there so I'll keep looking. But I also want to build the motors in my 2 other bikes before summer so I have my hands full, and I'm moving this month. I think the timing just isn't right, right now. Maybe it's a good thing he didn't offer me a great deal. ;-)
Colorado Springs, CO.