May 06, 2024, 12:57:55 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Need more part number help to cobble stuff together....

Started by Big Dan, March 19, 2009, 11:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

Okay, what I've done is replaced the stupid air temp gauge in my fairing with an oil temp gauge from a mid 80's to early 90's Evo bagger (gauge part number ends in -86). Now I need to come up with the part number for the sender, or any sender that would work with the gauge. For some reason, my feeble old brain wants to think that just about any sender for an electric oil temp gauge will work, but I don't know that to be fact. I'll plumb it into the lines for my crash bar oil cooler that I plan to do in the near future. 

So, do any of you guys know if I can use a "generic" type sender? And if not, does anyone have a parts manual for the appropriate years that could shoot me a part number? As always, thanks in advance.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

ULTRADOG

when i did mine i ordered the gauge and sender for an early model dresser and it works fine the only thing that was diffrent is the pointer on the early gauge is orange all the other gauges are white pointers
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

IBARider

I think the sender needs to have a specific resistance range to match your gauge.  An example... If you have a gauge that goes to 250 degrees, the sender will have low resistance at that temp to get the gauge to the max side.  If you used the same sender with a 350 degree gauge, when the oil temp is 250, the sender would have low resistance and gauge would be at top, 350... a wrong indication.

of course, my logic is off some times, but I do know when I replace senders in other pieces of equipment, the provider always wants to know what gauge I have, or the resistance range of the sender......

if you find the answer, let us know.  I thought I had to replace a sender for a McEwan gauge and I had no idea of how to go about it cuz no one had the sender, just the kit.  I was able to repair my old sender so I didn't get around to finding one...
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

FLH_Rider

I'll look around and see if I can find the info. But I seem to recall it may have been 86 or 87 FLT Oil Temp gauge and sending unit. But most likely any temp transducer will work. I put mine in the plug next to the oil drain plug. I used a fitting to have it so it was just at the edge of the oil galley. There was some pic's and info on the old site.