Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

dirtracin23

:up: :up: :up:

Thank you sir.  I am making progress.
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

dirtracin23

January 11, 2015, 06:52:12 PM #27 Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:56:03 PM by dirtracin23
Alright NutZ, I got the gain set and have a few more questions.

1) The amp has an EQ dial and also a FREQ dial and both were set at their minimums while setting the gain, what would be a good balanced setting for these? Since this setup is a PITA to get under there and secured with no easy way of adjusting these dials after the fact, I would like to set them before I put it all back together.

2) Per your instructions for setting gain with a DMM, I used the right speaker outputs. Got them set precisely @ 20V. Just for shits and giggles I put the DMM probes on the left speaker outputs and the reading is 19.8V.  Why would there be a difference between the two?

3) Unless I am not looking at things right (definitely a possibility), on a RGS there is no way to mount the speaker inside the pod that I can tell as you posted earlier. The stock grills have an alignment tab on the outside edge and a snap in tab at top and bottom of the inside edge. The top one goes in just fine but the bottom hits the woofer surround. I am worried that the constant motion of the surround against this tab will quickly wear a hole in the surround. If I need to, would there be any harm in taking a Dremel and kind of creating a pocket in the basket/body for the tab to sit in? Or should I just look at cutting the tab off and figuring out another way to secure the grill. I think I might be able to get a small screw thru the grill and into the speaker basket.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 11, 2015, 06:52:12 PM
Alright NutZ, I got the gain set and have a few more questions.

1) The amp has an EQ dial and also a FREQ dial and both were set at their minimums while setting the gain, what would be a good balanced setting for these? Since this setup is a PITA to get under there and secured with no easy way of adjusting these dials after the fact, I would like to set them before I put it all back together.

2) Per your instructions for setting gain with a DMM, I used the right speaker outputs. Got them set precisely @ 20V. Just for shits and giggles I put the DMM probes on the left speaker outputs and the reading is 19.8V.  Why would there be a difference between the two?

3) Unless I am not looking at things right (definitely a possibility), on a RGS there is no way to mount the speaker inside the pod that I can tell as you posted earlier. The stock grills have an alignment tab on the outside edge and a snap in tab at top and bottom of the inside edge. The top one goes in just fine but the bottom hits the woofer surround. I am worried that the constant motion of the surround against this tab will quickly wear a hole in the surround. If I need to, would there be any harm in taking a Dremel and kind of creating a pocket in the basket/body for the tab to sit in? Or should I just look at cutting the tab off and figuring out another way to secure the grill. I think I might be able to get a small screw thru the grill and into the speaker basket.

• The EQ setting i believe on this amp is non-effective if the crossover switch is in the AP position.  Basically what this does is kinda like timing for your car.  It keeps the output signal in sync with the input signal.  I would leave this as is
  • The speaker outputs will only (or technically should) be the same both left and right with balanced RCA inputs.  This is to be expected with speaker level inputs as they are not a balanced input.
  • Yes you're correct on the pods for the roadies.  I've not done one (14/15) myself so I made the assumption the pods came apart like the batwings do but in fact they do not so the speaker have to be mounted from the outside of the pod.  If trimming the bottom tab off and a screw used to secure the bottom and not affect the speaker's performance, I say go for it.  Otherwise you're probably going to need the Boom Audio grills.

dirtracin23

After a closer inspection it is indeed the tweeters that are posing the clearance issues. Guess I'll be getting a pair of Boom grills to see if they work. If that doesn't solve the problem then, as much as I hate to, I might be having to find a different pair of speakers.

UltraNutZ

nah you'll be fine with the BA grills.  they are designed to protrude outwards more to provide better clearance

dirtracin23

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 12, 2015, 06:42:46 AM
nah you'll be fine with the BA grills.  they are designed to protrude outwards more to provide better clearance

I sure hope so. But just in case, I have already been looking at BT7P1 Titan II but I don't know if they will clear either. If they would, I would think Bill would be listing them on his site as '15 RG replacements. Also looking at Cycle Sounds Series 6.

I'll get a pair of Boom grills and see what happens. If they don't work, I can return them and start looking for another solution.

You have the P/N for them grills handy Todd?

slothy

2015 RGS 30" 107/ss570 cams/HPI 58mm/WFOLarry stage 2+ / trask turbo

UltraNutZ

slothy, have you used one bud?  I've only used one and it seemed to work ok.  I'm seeing a lot of info since then about the no amp and 8 speaker flash being the best since it seems to disable the DSP crap altogether.

UltraNutZ

you'll need the grills, the 4 clips and not sure about the gaskets but i would think so being a different fit for the grills.

dirtracin23

Thanx.

I'm gonna sacrifice a stock grill to the dremel to try and get clearance between it and the tweeter. Turned that tweeter a 180° (tweeter button to the top) and it looks like it doesn't hit it as bad so that may work. Then I'm going to cut off the snap in mounting tabs and try the screw idea for the mounting points. If that doesn't work, I'll order up all the Boom stuff and see how it goes.

Hope all with a '15 RG are paying attention to this thread so I can be the guinea pig and save others a lot of hassle.

UltraNutZ

well the tweeter itself, because it's protected by the screen itself isn't going to be an issue if it's touching the grill.  Just make sure you've got good clearance for the woofer cone and it's surround as that's where your problems will surface likely in failure of the speaker.

dirtracin23

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 12, 2015, 08:05:48 AM
well the tweeter itself, because it's protected by the screen itself isn't going to be an issue if it's touching the grill.  Just make sure you've got good clearance for the woofer cone and it's surround as that's where your problems will surface likely in failure of the speaker.

Yeah, that mounting tab hitting the woofer surround really caught my eye. I could see that surround getting a hole rubbed in it REAL fast!

slothy

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 12, 2015, 07:22:22 AM
slothy, have you used one bud?  I've only used one and it seemed to work ok.  I'm seeing a lot of info since then about the no amp and 8 speaker flash being the best since it seems to disable the DSP crap altogether.

i have one, haven't used it yet. i'm just running a setup of hertz spl 6.5 with a set if their st25 compression drivers off a hdp4. if i was going to run more speakers i would just get it flashed.
2015 RGS 30" 107/ss570 cams/HPI 58mm/WFOLarry stage 2+ / trask turbo

dirtracin23

Quote from: slothy on January 12, 2015, 07:20:01 AM
if its sounds super harsh you will need one of these or have radio flashed

http://www.cyclesounds.com/dsp-line-level-shifter-magic-box-harley.html

I am going with the dealer flash. I have read too many varied opinions/results with the Magic Box.

Gnarl78

Dirt racing - are you still running this setup? How do you like it? Sounds like a lot of effort went into it.
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965

AAWAV

February 05, 2015, 04:17:52 PM #41 Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:24:09 PM by AAWAV
Nevermind - If I just go to the end of the posts!!!!  :emoGroan: :emoGroan: :emoGroan: :emoGroan: :emoGroan: :emoGroan:

dummy post - sorry guys
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

dirtracin23

Quote from: Gnarl78 on February 05, 2015, 08:33:19 AM
Dirt racing - are you still running this setup? How do you like it? Sounds like a lot of effort went into it.

I had it all in there and hooked up but no dealer flash so I can't comment as to the actual sound quality yet. I can say that it was definitely louder than stock. Took the amp out and sent it to AAWAV's independent testing facility and haven't got it all put back in yet. I have a severe case of OCD on certain things (bike being one of them) so there are some things I am working on to get them to my satisfaction. The plug and play wiring harnesses that I made were too long to suit me so I'm redoing those. The bolts that hold the amp mounting plate I made are a royal PiTA to get started so I am going to TIG the nuts in place on the mounting plate to remedy that. Been down in the back real bad for over a week as a result of swapping motors on my Simplicity garden tractor and getting my snowblower and tire chains put on for Snowmeggedon '15 that never materialized last weekend. When I get my back straightened out, barring another sugery, I'll get back to working on this audio project.