2015 Radio Flash for Flat EQ

Started by Modes, January 08, 2015, 11:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modes

Trust me when I say I have been researching and reading the topic until I have blood-shot eyes.  Obviously truthful because I registered here and started a post where I feel all the knowledgeable folks are together in one spot (as of very recent) instead of where I frequented before.

My setup:
-2015 FLTRXS
-Stock 6.5" Head Unit
-Rockford Fosgate PBR 300x4
-Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) Imagine I61-2V2 6.5" in the fairing pods (Should have bought Biketronix to same a few bucks as they are the same)
-HAT I57-2 5x7" "Harley" in the saddlebag lids (Devloped for the previous style CVO lids, '14-'15 style lids have a slight mount pattern difference. Elongating the speaker mount holes was required)
-Asked the dealer to "flash the radio to turn on the rear speaker feeds" before I picked up the bike or read anything about these newer stereos.

So, after initial installation the amp would not turn on from line level inputs.  Online I came and the information of these new bike came flowing in in droves.  Now have the remote wire connected to turn on the amp.  Perfect.  Rear speakers sound good, but fronts have a "noise".  If the factory DSP is still in the works, as I assume it is, then this is the muddy sound I have been reading about.  I have a identical set of my fronts kicking around so I pop them in to confirm it was not just the speaker.  It is not.  "Noise" is still prominent. I find it odd that the rears sound so much clearer.  Because I have it open and it only takes a minute I removed the front inputs and switched the rear inputs to the front.  Now switched the amp to 2 channel mode and the "noise" was still audible.  Tells me that the fronts are just more sensitive to the frequencies the DSP is obnoxious at. Time to get rid of the DSP.

A magic box was stuck into the mix to try and see if it was an easy fix.  No luck.  Same issues are audible.  I am not going to get my radio flashed until riding season as my dealer is 50 minutes away, the roads are salt covered, and it was -12F this morning.  I have read and read and read anything I have been able to locate that is relative to this issue.  Seems like the consensus is that AMP 1 and AMP 2 need to be set to off and the number of speakers needs to be set 8.  This is exactly what Rockford Fosgate recommends in their Installation advisory, but I just want to be sure this is what all others have found to work.  Fader would be nice, but is not really needed.

Thanks,

Adam

UltraNutZ

Adam you understand correctly sir.  This seems to be the recommended setup and tried/true method to get the best out of your setup.  That magic box is crap.  I can't honestly say that I know 1 person it's worked accurately for.

Amps 1 and 2 off - this kills the ability to use the auto-turn on (not to be confused with auto-tune which doesn't work either) feature with these newer amps
8 speakers active.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Modes

Thank you for the very quick response!  Exactly why I made the move over here.

Adam

HD Doobie

Let me first say that I am in no way affiliated with Cycle Sounds and I have never bought anything from them before.

I have the Magic Box along with a RF PBR 300x2 and Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers in my 14 FLHXS.  The last two items were per UltraNutZ recommendations.  It was my decision to try the Magic Box because I did my install in June 2014, before anyone was real sure which flash to have performed and I didn't want to deal with my dealer at the time.

I have my gain set at 9 (max is 11), I have my AVC at 3 bars (4 is max).

I have zero static when volume is all the way down, I can turn the volume all the way up and have zero distortion.

At times it is ear piercing loud, especially the highs. Only thing I wish I had is more bass.

There were a few other guys running the magic box before me reporting decent results  (on another forum) so I went with their recommendation.

I don't know what my system sounds like without the box so I cannot say for sure "YES, It works!"  All I know is what I can hear out of my speakers.

When the weather turns here (-12 here now) I want to shoot a video of my system and post it.

Modes

Glad it worked for you.  If it did for me it would have stayed in my bike.  Will look forward to seeing the video.

Adam

Badgerbob

Not sure of the Kappa crossovers if any. But could you not move the tweeter ground to a different setting. 0 or -2.

The only reason I'm saying this is I just did a stereo in my ultra. Using Hertz speakers with a Sony HU from biketronics and their interface. As well a JL Audio amp. On my crossovers there was three different spots for the tweeter ground to go to depending on where you wanted the high's at.

Modes

It's a disease I tell YAH!  Going to confirm space requirements, but have told myself I am buying the BT4180.  PBR300x4 will find a new home in the pontoon boat.

Adam

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Modes on January 09, 2015, 04:45:34 AM
It's a disease I tell YAH!  Going to confirm space requirements, but have told myself I am buying the BT4180.  PBR300x4 will find a new home in the pontoon boat.

Adam

you're not going to know how to react with that 4180.  MUCH better amp than that 300x4.  I don't care for that 300x4 amp as it's lack of power is an understatement.  The 300x2 is a totally different beast altogether and has proven itself time and time again.

Modes

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 05:29:35 AM
you're not going to know how to react with that 4180.  MUCH better amp than that 300x4.  I don't care for that 300x4 amp as it's lack of power is an understatement.  The 300x2 is a totally different beast altogether and has proven itself time and time again.

Original plan was 2 PBR 300x2 units, but despite fitting perfect when place over the radio and eyeballing.....they would not fit under the radio where they needed to be with out trimming the bracket which was not going to happen.  Price was pulling me hence the 300x4 (just bought a new can am ATV and have been decking that out too).  I will know exactly what to do with the Power.....ENDLESSLY WEAR A "Potty mouth"-EATING GRIN!!!

I have had Biketroncs equipment in the past and Have BT454 sitting on the bench, but that is only 4 ohm stable and 2 channel.  I like 4 ohm speakers and that wasn't going to fit my current build.  It's ordered and I can't wait.  I knew I bought this bike at the perfect time of year haha!  Plenty of time to iron everything out.

Adam

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Modes on January 09, 2015, 08:53:14 AM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 09, 2015, 05:29:35 AM

Original plan was 2 PBR 300x2 units, but despite fitting perfect when place over the radio and eyeballing.....they would not fit under the radio where they needed to be with out trimming the bracket which was not going to happen.  Price was pulling me hence the 300x4 (just bought a new can am ATV and have been decking that out too).  I will know exactly what to do with the Power.....ENDLESSLY WEAR A "Potty mouth"-EATING GRIN!!!

I have had Biketroncs equipment in the past and Have BT454 sitting on the bench, but that is only 4 ohm stable and 2 channel.  I like 4 ohm speakers and that wasn't going to fit my current build.  It's ordered and I can't wait.  I knew I bought this bike at the perfect time of year haha!  Plenty of time to iron everything out.

Adam

SWEET!   :up:   make sure to come back and let everyone know your thoughts

Modes

Will do.  Bill called me maybe 35 minutes after my order.  He noticed I had a 2015 Road Glide.  He want to express his concern that they had not ironed out placement of the amp nor a bracket for the amp in a Road Glide yet.  I assured him I knew where it had to go from installing the PBR already and that I measured to check the size.  Told him I would make a bracket.  Bill stated he was shipping it then.  Yet another affirmation to Biketronic'ss customer service.

Adam

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Modes on January 09, 2015, 12:21:09 PM
Will do.  Bill called me maybe 35 minutes after my order.  He noticed I had a 2015 Road Glide.  He want to express his concern that they had not ironed out placement of the amp nor a bracket for the amp in a Road Glide yet.  I assured him I knew where it had to go from installing the PBR already and that I measured to check the size.  Told him I would make a bracket.  Bill stated he was shipping it then.  Yet another affirmation to Biketronic'ss customer service.

Adam

Can't beat that customer service with a stick. 

dirtracin23

Adam

What does your bracket look like Modes? And did you have clearance issues on the fairing speaker grilles?
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

Modes

Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 14, 2015, 11:25:20 AM

Adam

Still awaiting my amp.  If the  4180 has no fastener holes like my bt454 , then I will make a tray of sorts with legs along both full sides with tab/s for mounting bolts.  This will allow me to adhere the bottom of the amp to the tray.

As for the speakers.  I had to trim the bottom rib inside the speaker pod for the magnet clearance.  I used the speaker grill trim ring for a spacer and still clear the tweeter under the stock grill.  I had to trim the length of the lower inner grill mount to so it would clear the speaker.

Adam

What does your bracket look like Modes? And did you have clearance issues on the fairing speaker grilles?

MtMan3006

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 08, 2015, 11:21:08 AM
Adam you understand correctly sir.  This seems to be the recommended setup and tried/true method to get the best out of your setup.  That magic box is crap.  I can't honestly say that I know 1 person it's worked accurately for.

Amps 1 and 2 off - this kills the ability to use the auto-turn on (not to be confused with auto-tune which doesn't work either) feature with these newer amps
8 speakers active.

So if using this flash (amps 1 and 2 8 speaker setup per RF), am I to understand that i need to use the remote wire even when not using the RCA's?

UltraNutZ

dirtracin23

NutZ, I didn't hook up the remote wire when installing my RF T400X2ad and Infinity Kappas. So am I reading correctly that AFTER the dealer flash the remote wire will be needed?

UltraNutZ

that is correct sir.  The flash drops the output voltage so low that it will not be detected by the "auto-sensing" turn on feature of the amp.

dirtracin23

And that wire needs to piggy backed to a wire in the fairing that is powered on by the key? Will any one work or do certain ones seem to be the go to wire?

UltraNutZ

look on your headlamp harness.  there is an orange/red with a red rubber cap on it along with a black wire taped up about 6 or 8" from the headlamp plug.  That red/orange wire is the one I always use.

gtnot

Speaking of flashing the 2015 HK radio, I recently contacted ICA to have preamp outputs installed and to have the usual "AMP1 & 2 Off/8 Speaker" flash done.  I received an email back from the service manager stating "that until H-D and H-K get their software issues resolved we will not work on those radios".  I had not seen that info posted here and thought it might be of interest to some of you.

UltraNutZ

January 22, 2015, 04:09:03 PM #21 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:46:31 AM by UltraNutZ
Quote from: gtnot on January 22, 2015, 02:32:24 PM
Speaking of flashing the 2015 HK radio, I recently contacted ICA to have preamp outputs installed and to have the usual "AMP1 & 2 Off/8 Speaker" flash done.  I received an email back from the service manager stating "that until H-D and H-K get their software issues resolved we will not work on those radios".  I had not seen that info posted here and thought it might be of interest to some of you.

I don't blame them one bit.  So far all I've seen with this "infotainment" system is

• take it to the dealer and have it flashed (thank you Rockford Fosgate for figuring that out) and that's only if your dealer has the wherewithal to do it correctly in the first place since they seem to know even less than MOCO does about these things.
  • buy that mystical magic box that apparently does nothing to help your sound but does help to lighten your wallet
  • give a left arm, right leg, wife, and a newborn to the other company for their amp that is programmable via downloads that do nothing but limit your volume on your head unit to a state they think is best for you

Roenon

I ran into this myself.. Added a RockfordFosgate punch amp and two Infinity speakers. Sounded like crap after... Learned that Harley installs software audio "curve" into the radio to make the crap stock speakers sound good and the radio needs to be set to "flat". The local Dealer had no clue what I was talking about "resetting radio to flat or "0" ". I wound up finding this link
..... http://rftech.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215/kw/Harley .... and it pertains to any aftermarket speakers and amp really. I brought a printout to the dealer and had them set it up as stated in link and now I can adjust my amp and sound great. Just have them turn amps and audio to "NO" and leave other things you have like bluetooth "YES". Funny how I seem to be the first person in Denton TX area to have this done at American Eagle Harley.. Hope this saves you guys a bunch of time and aggravation.
Master Auto Mechanic 26 years

Coyote

Don't sugar coat it Todd, tell us what you really think.   :hyst:

UltraNutZ

November 10, 2015, 10:45:48 AM #24 Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:01:06 PM by UltraNutZ
 I think I did.   :embarrassed:

Oh yeah, 1 more thing!

Biketronics, being the customer oriented and diligent to get things done folks they are, have managed to figure this out where you make 0, let me spell that out for you Z-E-R-O trips to the dealer for ANY flashes whatsoever.