April 27, 2024, 08:11:52 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Setting Gains w/ DMM - 4 channel bridged

Started by scooterroid, January 09, 2015, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooterroid

Amp: 4 channel, 400 watt RMS, rated @ 175 watts/channel bridged into 2 channels
Speakers: 4 ohm, 1 pair

Just wanted to double check my install. Using the Ohm's Law Calculator to set my amp output at 150 watts per each channel I would dial in ~24.5 volts for each of the 2 channels. Correct?

Thanks,
Scoots

Gannicus

Lol . .  That depends if you think all multi-meters are created equal. . . Just kidding. What amp and speakers are you using in your set up?

scooterroid

I got it. I just set them by ear.
Here's the rest of the story:

Very happy with my install and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Everything is plug & play so I can revert back to stock at any time.

NVX MVPA4 amp (bridged for 2 channels)
1 pair Polk DB651s

I'm using Cycle Sounds "Magic Box" and I had my HU flashed by HD. HD tech at the dealership where I first went told me I had to set everything back to stock in order for him to do the flash. That didn't sound like anything I'd read in any of the HD forums. So, I called another dealership 30 miles away. They said they never heard of what the other tech was saying and that they'd do it, no problem. The tech there was willing to listen to me and I told him which flash I needed for my set-up. He did the flash and off I rode. He missed doing one step, though. After the HU is flashed it's loaded with a set of BIN files. (these BIN files are posted in another forum). These files tell the HU what your particular set-up is. As this step was omitted I accessed the DTC screen (push ON/OFF button while turning on the ignition). Then go to EQ and select the correct BIN file for your bike set-up, eg, 4 speakers, 2 speakers, etc. After selecting the correct BIN file the screen will tell you which BIN file is currently installed and ask you if you want to load the new file. YES.

So it's all done and I'm happy. I took a chance with that tiny amp but it fits great and sounds great.

Scoots

Gannicus

Glad to hear you like the NVX MVPA4. I have a friend bench testing that amp as we speak. He will do a detailed write up on that amp as soon as he is finished. We have all found that amp interesting. Since you have it installed were you able to keep your FM radio?  In other words are you still getting all the stations you were before install?

scooterroid

Gannicus

Holy Cow Scoots. . . What HU are you running?   Lol

z71_fourwheelin

Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

scooterroid

Scoots gots USB inputs now, multiple flash drives and a 1TB SS USB hard drive the size of a deck of playing cards that fits nicely in the glove box. I never listen to FM. I did try it tonight because I was curious and there doesn't seem to be any interference from the D-Class amp.

Also, reading through some of these post on amps, the Memphis 16-SA4.50 looks to be the same amp as the NVX MPVA4 which is the same amp as the Cycle Sounds Micro Amp. Check out all 3 amps and I think y'all will agree. I just installed one and I really like it.

One thing though, if you bridge this amp to 2 channels run inputs to all 4 RCA jacks and switch selector to 4 channel output - not 2 channel. Can you guess how I know this? Can't speak as to how it performs with 4 speakers and it is not rated for 2 channels @ 2 ohms.

Scoots