April 27, 2024, 08:59:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Putting batwing fairing back on..after PBR300x2 install.

Started by FearNoEvil, January 10, 2015, 10:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FearNoEvil

Hey guys.. trying to button up my amp/speaker install and I am having trouble getting the front fairing back on with a reasonable amount of effort.  I can't tell if its the PBR300x2 causing the issue, the polyfil, or some wiring, but I seems like I am really having trouble getting the fairing back on without applying a fairly considerable amount of pressure.. and even then I am not sure things are lining up right.

Any common problems here I should look for?  I slid my PBR300x2 back as far as I can, as it was originally in line with the back of the stereo and then I realized that wouldn't work.. so I was able to move it back like maybe 3/4" but it still seems like it may be touching the fairing..   Had to take a break getting frustrated if anyone has done this a lot and has any advice please let me know.. :)
FearNoEvil

FearNoEvil

Another piece of info that may be relevant.  I have the CB module so I bought the dummy insert and put the PBR300x2 on top of those.  Is that not going to work?
FearNoEvil

UltraNutZ

got a couple of pics by chance of the way it sits without the outer fairing
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

FearNoEvil

FearNoEvil

UltraNutZ

reason I ask is that outer shell should just slide right back on with no interference from anything on the inside.  Just be careful when re-installing that your mating surfaces line up properly to mitigate water intrusion and that your screw holes line up otherwise you'll find yourself waiting on your local HD shop to order you some of these before you can put your fairing cap back on.

Blowby

I have mine sitting flush on top of the stereo with double sided 3M tape. 2003 model year on mine and I have a little contact, flex in the fairing install. I moved the amp back, closer to the steering head and it helped a little.

[attach=0]
'03 EG 100 yr, FM 98", Level B heads, TW-555-6R
FM/AIM clutch, PCV, 104hp/118t

UltraNutZ

Quote from: FearNoEvil on January 10, 2015, 11:04:09 AM
Another piece of info that may be relevant.  I have the CB module so I bought the dummy insert and put the PBR300x2 on top of those.  Is that not going to work?

ah sorry didn't catch this piece.  yeah you're going to need to relocate that CB module below the head unit.  Use industrial strength velcro to mount it to the bottom and then put a large zip tie on it for good measure.

FearNoEvil

FearNoEvil

UltraNutZ

yeah what's preventing you from going back on is the harness running across the top.

Also, man that's a lot of polyfil around those speakers.  You should only have a thin layer maybe a 1/2" thick wrapped tightly around each speaker.  Too much polyfil in these applications will defeat the purpose of having it there.

FearNoEvil

I think the picture makes it look worse than it is..  Is is only about 1/2" thick (Maybe a little more)..  but its about 15x18 inches, so maybe I'll trim it up and remove a layer or two.
FearNoEvil

Hossamania

Geez that looks like 10 pounds of stuff in a 5 pound bag. If I ever do get a fairinged bike, you guys are going to cost me a ton of dough! If I'm going to have tunes, they might as well be the best.
If the government gives you everything you want,
it can take everything you have.

tdgriff

Quote from: FearNoEvil on January 10, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
Thanks.. here's a pic anyway..
I had the same problem with my harness running on the top of the stereo and amp. I moved it and went back together in a snap.

FearNoEvil

Thanks guys, guess that spacer bracket was a waste of $22.. But if that's the worst I run into that's OK.. :)  Gotta head back to Walmart to pick up some more 3M tape then I'll try again tonight to relocate stuff..  Its funny how the stuff you think will be complicated or difficult like the wiring went fine, but you run into stupid problems like this which slows you down.
FearNoEvil

Little Mike

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

lilchief

Yeah man you got alot of stuff going there between the wiring loom on top of the amp & ALOT of polyfill around the speakers. It always seems like ya got a ton of room for extra stuff under that outer fairing until ya go to put it on.

Lil Chief

UltraNutZ

zeke383

I agree with was has been said here. I will add that I had to zip tie the wiring harness that runs across the top of the radio back and down to get it to stay. You can use the holes in the gauge keepers that hold the speedo and tach in as an anchor point.

Little Mike

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 11, 2015, 05:58:41 AM
Quote from: Little Mike on January 10, 2015, 03:36:11 PM
For reference here are mine all wrapped up.

nice clean install   :up:

Thanks! I got my info from a couple of guys who really seemed to know their stuff.  :wink:
I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

FearNoEvil

Thanks everyone I got everything buttoned up and the tunes sound great.. might have to do some tweaking on the gain but finally 4 days later I am able to ride.. perfect timing since it was about 80 degrees here in Florida today!
FearNoEvil

UltraNutZ

tdgriff

Quote from: FearNoEvil on January 11, 2015, 06:39:12 PM
Thanks everyone I got everything buttoned up and the tunes sound great.. might have to do some tweaking on the gain but finally 4 days later I am able to ride.. perfect timing since it was about 80 degrees here in Florida today!
You ask for help then rub it in are face really man. lol good for you