April 28, 2024, 07:24:08 AM

News:

Upgrades shipped!

Started by hdrolling, January 10, 2015, 01:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hdrolling

My current setup is the Sony MEX 70BT, Biketronics install kit, Hawg wired tweeters, BT 7.1 fairing speakers and BT 6X9 saddlebag speakers powered by the BT 4180 amp.

I just received the "shipped" message from Kutter HD that my CVO lower fairing speaker pods and grills are on there way, I still would like to get them painted before I install.

Next to order are the BT 6.5 speakers for the CVO pods and the rear BT 7.1 tour pack pods. Before I order, will the one BT 4180 be enough to power all of these speakers? I've been told yes, but looking at it I'm not sure how its going to sound compared to how great it sounds now? My thought process is that I might save more if I order the amp with the speakers as a package, but if it's not going to be needed then I won't spend the money.

If I did get the second amp, my next issue would be where to mount it?

2010 FLHX 120R, Tman 662-2,Boarzilla, S&S lifters, AV&V springs,10.8:1

Gannicus

Very nice display and very nice System HD. . . . Personally I would run two amps on that system for max performance. But yes It can be ran with just the one amp.  I'd run a soundstream TN4.900 in the tourpak for the speakers in red on your display. Doesn't take up much room at all and it's an awesome amp with plenty power.  On the other had if you Listen to FM radio your best bet might be another 4180.

IronMike113

Looks like the planets are starting to align,Just Messin with Ya,looks like a Kick A$$ System  🔊
2 Bikes and 2 Beemers, that's what I have been told 😳

z71_fourwheelin

Gann... But if he mounts it in the Tourpak would it affect his FM? and why not run front speakers off 4180 and then run rear off SS
Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

Gannicus

Yes Sir fourwheelin you are absolutely correct!  If he runs the TN4.900 it could affect his FM. 4180 will not. Only reason I suggested he run the new speakers with a new amp is because he already has the fairing and saddlebag speakers wired to the 4180.  He can do it either way. Wouldn't take much to switch the wires.  I suggested the TN4.900 because of the value to power factor. It's much cheaper and performs just as well as the 4180.

hdrolling

As small as the TN4.900 looks I wonder if it would fit in the fairing on my hogtunes second amp mount? The tour pack isn't on the bike all the time so I'd hate to lose two sets of speakers every time I remove the Pack.I never use FM, just XM and my music on my iphone.

Gannicus

Might be tough getting the TN4 in the hog tunes bracket. It's a little bigger than it looks. Of course I've not tried it so I don't know for a fact.  Now I do think the power acoustic RZ4.2000D will fit that bracket.  :)

hdrolling

Right now my minds pretty much set to go with another BT-4180, I'm tired of rebuilding this system and think I'll just stick with what I know will work. If I do decide I need the second amp I might squeeze it in the saddlebag. I kept my stock bags complete with the intent of putting them back on for road trips so the new CVO bottoms and lids don't get ruined on the long runs and I'll still have all the space I need.

UltraNutZ

hdrolling.  if in your shoes, I would simply add the lower speakers and wire in parallel with the fairing speakers.  Once you drop the ohm load at the amp from the 4 ohms it's seeing now to 2 ohms by parallel wiring the 4 front speakers, you'll notice the additional output provided by that amp.

I would try this before another amp purchase that you just may not need.   :nix:
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Gannicus

Nutz. . . 8 BT speakers on the 4180 in parallel?

UltraNutZ

Gan.. i agree it's not the optimal solution but I would certainly give it a whirl before doing anything else.  The OP may very well be satisfied with that setup.  Keep in mind the 2 ohm load thing.  You will with that 4180 effectively almost double it's output at 2 ohms vs 4 ohms.

hdrolling

Thanks UN and Gan, trying just the speakers will be my first attempt. If I had a overwhelming request to get another amp I wouldn't hesitate but I'll go with small steps first and see what I think.

I hoping since the 4180 doesn't have any adjustments that when I go from a 8 speaker 2 ohm system to a 6 speaker (Front/lowers 4x 2ohm, saddlebags 2x 4ohm) when I remove the tour pack at times will automatically adjust for the different channels having different ohm loads? :idunno:

I still foresee adding the second amp down the road thinking this much of a load might overheat my amp at times. My J&M 250 amp use to over heat after a while on longer rides just pushing the boom speakers. I've been on a couple 6-7 hour rides heading up to the BRP with the Biketronics setup and it plays strong the entire time and never overheats.

UltraNutZ

you won't have any issues with overheating in that configuration.  When you remove the tourpack your amp's rear channels will simply operate at a 4 ohm load.

Gannicus

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 11, 2015, 07:20:15 AM
Gan.. i agree it's not the optimal solution but I would certainly give it a whirl before doing anything else.  The OP may very well be satisfied with that setup.  Keep in mind the 2 ohm load thing.  You will with that 4180 effectively almost double it's output at 2 ohms vs 4 ohms.
[/quote

Very true! Just checking to make sure you were awake. . . lol  I ordered one of those amps from Bill and the pros set for delivery tomorrow. I'm going to check it out and see what I think but I'm still on the fence about no gain adjustment. If it doesn't sound right I'll be sticking my PA back in there. I'm going to see what the pros sound like with the PA first. Then I'm going to install the 4180 and see if there is a noticeable difference.  I'll keep you posted on the result.

hdrolling

I'm not sure if Pioneer74 has came over to this forum, but I've seen on the other forum that he is running close to the same set up with one 4180 amp.

The main reason I was asking about the second amp was Biketronics has the package with the BT 4180/7.1 front and 7.1 rear pods for about $1000. That's about $300 off difference than buying everything separate. If they could give me a lower price for going with a 6.5 instead of the 7.1 and maybe the additional 5% military discount that I think they offer, I'd be saving a bunch in the event I decided to go with the second amp.

The money "now" isn't the issue, the missed possible savings later on is what has my weighing my options before I order from Bill or another vendor in the morning.

zeke383

Correct me if I'm missing something but wouldn't this be the same as running the 2180 to 7.1's in the fairing and 6.5's in the lowers in parallel? What I am eluding to is this is what Biketronics recommended me to do (get the 2180). I went 4180 in case I expand later. Call Bill but I'm thinking that the 4180 would run all eight....

Gannicus

The 4180 will drive all 8 speakers as Nutz stated above. We just don't know if this set up is optimized.  But as Nutz stated if you run in parallel and reduce the load to 2 ohms with that powerful amp  it will probably sound dam good. HD will have to let us know what he thinks.  I want to know as well.

z71_fourwheelin

HD,  Buy the package and then flip the amp to recoup some cost and give a deal to a forum member (Like Me)
Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

tdgriff

January 12, 2015, 05:19:51 PM #18 Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 06:01:29 PM by tdgriff
Quote from: hdrolling on January 10, 2015, 01:09:39 PM
My current setup is the Sony MEX 70BT, Biketronics install kit, Hawg wired tweeters, BT 7.1 fairing speakers and BT 6X9 saddlebag speakers powered by the BT 4180 amp.

I just received the "shipped" message from Kutter HD that my CVO lower fairing speaker pods and grills are on there way, I still would like to get them painted before I install.

Next to order are the BT 6.5 speakers for the CVO pods and the rear BT 7.1 tour pack pods. Before I order, will the one BT 4180 be enough to power all of these speakers? I've been told yes, but looking at it I'm not sure how its going to sound compared to how great it sounds now? My thought process is that I might save more if I order the amp with the speakers as a package, but if it's not going to be needed then I won't spend the money.

Are you talking about Kutter HD in Janesville WI ? If you are only about 30 mins from them. I did not know they did online stuff at all.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: tdgriff on January 12, 2015, 05:19:51 PM
Quote from: hdrolling on January 10, 2015, 01:09:39 PM

Are you talking about Kutter HD in Janesville WI ? If I am only about 30 mins from hem.
if you're hinting around about picking up your stuff from Kutter, they won't allow you to do that.  Online orders must be shipped.  I think that has something to do with MOCO rules.

hdrolling

If it's the same Kutter that does the 20% online discounts then yes, suppose to have them Wed.

http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/h-d

tdgriff

Quote from: hdrolling on January 12, 2015, 05:46:19 PM
If it's the same Kutter that does the 20% online discounts then yes, suppose to have them Wed.

http://www.kutterharleyonline.com/h-d
That's pretty cool. I did not know that.

hdrolling

Trying the single BT4180 for now, BT 6.5 and 7.1 rear pods are on there way.

tdgriff

Quote from: hdrolling on January 13, 2015, 09:36:13 AM
Trying the single BT4180 for now, BT 6.5 and 7.1 rear pods are on there way.
I think you are going to be more then happy with it. But again tons of money later and I am still upgrading and upgrading. It feels like it's never going to end. Good luck

mtrhead269

Have you given any thought to mounting the amp in your right side cover?