April 27, 2024, 02:19:43 PM

News:

ok lets talk cb

Started by moose, January 11, 2015, 06:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scooterbum46

Coyote - would you post the link to the FCC filing ( I don't have the module, just ordered today, so don't have the ID to do the search with).  If possible, I'd appreciate it!! Thanks!
2015 Tri Glide

Copyless

I see the other post were a few weeks ago, but since it is up now, what did you finally get to? Did you stick a SWR meter on it and if you did what did you get it to?

If you truly wanted to throw a small linear in, and was will to change the antenna, you could always throw a NGP antenna back there, and probably paint it black and no one would ever notice. A small kicker, is not going to stress the charging system at all, it's not activated for even minutes at a time usually, I mean you only transmit normally 10-20 seconds?

I have a few connex HP's  that DK 18w's or so and modulate up around 80w's, I also have one of my Galaxy 485's that has upper and lowers and every mod that could ever be done to it, but it is not safe for most people to use it, since it does have several channels that can modulate on most anything that receives. My pride when I did still drive a truck was my competition linear, in the truck under normal conditions it will easily push 600-800w, but it is made for competition, so it can accept around 36v easily and then it can push 1800-2100w., I used to have some fun with it years ago, when BIG radios were in, because it was truly one of the "I talk you listen" radios.

If you got the board to push 8w and got the swr's to 1:1 or even 1.2:1 then I would say that would be all you needed, unless you like to talk on it, then go ahead and get a NGP antenna and the kicker, who knows with that you may get the right sunspot activity period and talk to someone 4 hundred miles away or so, I used to have a little Texas Star 350 that I would talk skip on during high activity periods sometimes maybe 1200 miles, it is really amazing how much solar rays can bounce a signal. I wish I hadn't read this now, I used to really love to get on the CB, haven't done it in several years now, but now you have me wanting to pull out a couple of my toys that are boxed away. Sorry, I was just reminiscing old times, I guess I wrote nothing, just talked to myself.

moose

maybe a good side line tweeking cb's on harleys   hell most of the guys I ride with would pay to actually have one work good.  It appears its not brain surgery   let me go find my soldering iron  I'm going in

now what do i do   opps wrong wire
Moose aka Glenn-

slypig

Increasing the transmitter power into an inefficient antenna is not going to help very much and won't help at all in receiving.  With the additional power and the antenna being so close to the bike's ecm (computer)you may also be opening yourself up to the possibility of RF interference causing the ecm to malfunction.  A one hundred watt linear amplifier will draw 15 to 20 amps when transmitting requiring heavy gage wire. As a ham radio operator ( N2CFT) for about 50 years I've seen and experienced many issues with high power mobile radio installations.

Sly
Slypig
Panama City Fl

moose

thanks for the info still have not decided what to do maybe just tweek the mike a little
Moose aka Glenn-