Who has gone from Polk Audio to Infinity Kappas

Started by anthonyflhx, January 12, 2015, 07:25:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyflhx

Hey UltraNutz! Glad to see you heading up the audio section. I was wondering if anyone else had issues with failing polk audio mm651 speakers. I had 3 go bad on me in 2 years. 2 went in first year and where covered under warranty. Just had one go recently after changing amp from pbr300x2 to soundstream pn4.520D.

My settings are relatively conservative, so not sure why the polks keep failing.

I understand the cool looking grills on the Kappas will not fit in fairing and wondered if theres any mods that can be done to make em fit?

I should have my Kappas in tonight or tomorrow so Im pretty stoked to have stereo sound again.

UltraNutZ

hey bud.. the polks are failing because of the construction method now used on the tweeter stalks when they switched manufacturing facilities sometime early last year.  When you pull your failed speaker out, take a look at it closely and I'm sure you'll find the tweeter stalk not perfectly vertical but instead at a slight angle.  Disappointing to say the least that they've not corrected this issues because I think you all know that was my favorite speaker for the $.  I've been in touch with Polk as you know from that Polk forum thread but my comments were met with a sly tone of "we have no manufacturing issues" although they were shown the specific issue with the handful of speakers I carefully dissected for them to show the point of failure.

Anyways, the kappa grills can be made to fit the fairing but obviously they're going to take some tedious work and ingenuity on your part.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons