April 26, 2024, 08:46:16 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Speaker grill fitment

Started by pp6000v2, January 12, 2015, 01:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pp6000v2

My rear pods are currently silent since I moved the speakers to the lower faring pods.  For the lowers I used the CVO grills and they look and fit great.  When I finally get my PBRx2 amp and either a third set of the MM651's or the 62.11i's for the rear pods, I see the P/N 76000318 Boom 6.5" rear upgrade speakers come with grills that A) look good as far as I'm concerned and B) cost less than what the CVO grills do ($19 versus $30 on New Castle). The P/N for the Boom 6.5" grills is 76000324.
[attach=1]

The install instructions for the Boom speakers say that the speakers will only fit '14+, so I'm curious enough to ask whether there's a physical reason why these grills wouldn't just fit either speaker selection I mentioned above (2001 FLHTC with Hogtunes pods, openings eased to fit 6.5" speakers already)
'01 FLHTC w/ a shoehorned H-K radio. Lots of audio harness fabrications....

UltraNutZ

I highly doubt it.  what you'll probably find is the spacing between the screw holes is different therefore only perfectly align with the 2014/2015 pods.

what I mean is I highly doubt they are any different "fitwise" than the previous grills.  I was thinking about doing the same thing with the lower CVO grills I am using now. 
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

pp6000v2

So they're hedging against making people have to drill new holes in their plastic pods and managing to set the bike en fuego, or is the screw pattern on these '14+ grills some non-square arrangement?

UltraNutZ

the screw holes on the pre 14 bikes don't match any speaker other than 1 vendors speakers that I know of and I'd think that's mainly because that stuff is made in the same factory as HD crap is.

so it stand to reason, and I never measure them myself because the speakers I put in ARE going to require new holes be drilled, that they either changed it to a standard speaker screw pattern or they have some other oddball screw hole pattern that's new and improved for 14+ bikes.

pp6000v2

Apparently these are the standard rear pod speakers/grilles on the CVO Limiteds. I guess to keep the factory stealth look I want, it's worth a shot to try them. God, why do the Polks have to come with such awful speaker grills?

UltraNutZ

no kidding.. those are the fugliest wagon-wheel grills I've ever seen..

pp6000v2

These aren't exactly winning any awards either. And as I've come to find out, the tweeter is mounted in the grill so it's not removable/suitable for in the faring

UltraNutZ

yep those aren't very appealing to me either.. but hey everyone has different tastes...