April 27, 2024, 05:27:54 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2004 Road King Classic Stereo install

Started by Brew61, January 12, 2015, 02:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brew61

Well spent the last few days working on the bike. Did not like how the RecKless fairing sat on the bike even though I had changed up how it mounted when I first put it on last season. To me it still sat to high so I had to modify the mounting brackets to lower it down but when I did that the driving lights were in the way so I then had to modify those brackets to lower them and also move them out further. So that was all done and I am happy with it now.

Then came the stereo.  Last season I installed the Sony Marine CDX-H910UI HU, RF PBR 300x2 amp with Infinity 6912m in the fairing and Infinity 612m in the Tour Pak. After about 2 months something went wrong with the amp. With the bike sitting there and no power on the amp started to send out very high pitch squealing sounds out of the speakers and ended up taking out the right side speakers front and back. I was able to unplug the power to the amp to stop it but not soon enough.

So pulled it out and ordered a new set of Infinity 6912m speakers and also a Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D amp just to get it back up and running. Didn't do anything with the rear speakers at all just left them because I don't have the tour pak on very often. Then I shipped the RF amp back and got a hold of RF and worked with them on getting me a new amp sent out. This time I decided to go with the PBR300x4 just because I noticed with the 2 Ch amp that my front 6x9's over powered the rear speakers too much and you could not really hear them. With the wife even sitting on the back she said she could feel them vibrate but really hard to hear them over the front speakers.

I found out that with the PBR300x2 and the Razor amp had so much power that I didn't even have to turn the stereo up very much. I think at 70 mph I only had to turn it up to 25 on the volume control and it was blasting pretty good. My volume control goes up to 50 and guys riding with me say if they got to close to me they couldn't even hear their stock HD stereos over mine. So I figured I have a little bit of room to give up a little bit of power for the PBR300x4. As for the Razor I lost my FM with it and ya I know FM is taboo to most now a days But I like to listen to it in town and save my mp3's for the road. So that amp will go into a V-8 S-10 I am customizing and building right now.

So the new amp and new rear speakers went in and I used my Dmm to set my gains to 26.2. Fired the system up in the garage and this thing still rocks. I almost blew my eardrums out when I cranked it all the way up to see if I would get any distortion at all. It sounded great even wide open volume. I then turned it down to about 40 and played a few tunes and that was even way too loud for in the garage. My daughter was walking home from work and said when she turned the corner two blocks down to come home she could hear the music no problem and that was with the door shut.

One thing that is really nice now is I can fade the fronts out a bit and I now can hear the back speakers. It does sound a lot better.

Bruce

2004 Road King, 110 with S&S 585 Easy Start Cams,HPI 55 mm Thr

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Brew61

Thanks UN much appreciated

The only thing left that I want to add is the handle bar controls. I think that will finish it off nicely. May be a little bit of a challenge.

Bruce

UltraNutZ

that won't be too difficult especially if you can find a set of controls that are already wired with the connectors that belong in the fairing.  either way won't be too difficult.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

garsam

Looks good. My ol' lady would love those rear speakers if she could get me to play her favorite country tunes. Might keep her happy back there for a longer time but I'm an old rocker so...😈 what yr is that s10 you mentioned. They should've put a v-8 in them to start with. I have an 03 xtreme with the v-6 and it is anemic!
I'm back out on the road again, turn this beast into the wind...

Brew61

I am doing a 1982 S-10. First year of the s-10. It was bought new by my Aunt and she passed away and I thought it would be a cool build. She always admired the street rods I built so now I am going to do one for her.

It is a Regular Cab short box, it will be lowered on 18" wheels. Custom Sadona Orange with Silver and Charcoal Gray graphics down the sides paint work and going with a MPFI 327 with ported Vortec  heads. Going to run a 700R4 transmission.

I hope to have it done by this summer.

Bruce