April 27, 2024, 02:47:38 PM

News:

Rockford Fosgate Amp

Started by ALUCARD19, January 14, 2015, 05:58:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALUCARD19

Has anyone tried, or is currently using the RF T400X4ad amp in their bike, it looks to be compact  1.6 x 4.25 x 8.3 (in.) and is class ad so it should not ruin the radio reception.
It is pricey but maybe worth it.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

zukeeper I believe just purchased one and I think he's sending it over to AAWAV for his testing.  Me personally am not worried about anything else with this amp as it seems to fit the bill everywhere, but current draw and heat being class AD.  D is fine, the A is what bothers me.  Class A amps are known for high heat and high current draw.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

ALUCARD19

I looked on the RF website and it says that it has built in fans for heat dissipation.
top mounted controls and dual fan forced induction cooling.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

dirtracin23

January 14, 2015, 10:42:12 AM #3 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:23:47 PM by dirtracin23
IDK about the T400X4ad, but I do have a T400X2ad that I am currently in the process of installing. When doing comparison on RFs website between it and the PBR300X2, they were both listed at 45A max current draw and 23A avg current draw. These figures were what I based my selection on. I went with the T400 because of the dual cooling fans because I had read of some having heat issues with the PBR.

Bear in mind that IDK squat about audio and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I too am sending my amp out to AAWAV for testing so I guess we will find out when he publishes his results.
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

UltraNutZ

ah my bad.. it was dirtracin23 i was thinking of.

FYI on the amperage draw of the 300x2, it's nowhere near 23A.  Highest I've been able to achieve without blowing something up was a little under 11A.  Some of the class D amps fair a little better for current draw such as the (2) TN4.900D amps I run.  Max current draw I've been able to achieve over a 20 minute recorded time frame was 4.7A

dirtracin23

January 14, 2015, 11:08:26 AM #5 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 11:11:44 AM by dirtracin23
After posing my questions about amps and speakers to you guys a few months ago across the road and you all recommended the PBR300X2 and the Infinity Kappa 62.11i. Oh no, :idea: I went out on my own and thought if this ones good (PBR) then this ones (T400) better.
Ill inforrmed decision?  :scratch:  Maybe. Impatient?  :scratch:  Probably. Rookie mistake?  :scratch:  Definitely.  :oops:

Gann seems to think the T400 will work. You have some doubts. AAWAV outright questioned it. The worse thing that can happen is it doesn't work, someone here gets a good deal on a bench tested T400, and I'm in the market for something different.  :banghead:  :cry:
I just want others to maybe hold off until AAWAV puts mine thru the paces so there isn't a fire sale of them on here.

If it's any consolation on my part, I did not stray from your speaker recommendation.   :teeth:

AAWAV

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 14, 2015, 06:03:28 AM
zukeeper I believe just purchased one and I think he's sending it over to AAWAV for his testing.  Me personally am not worried about anything else with this amp as it seems to fit the bill everywhere, but current draw and heat being class AD.  D is fine, the A is what bothers me.  Class A amps are known for high heat and high current draw.

nope - only Dirt's 2 channel is coming my way. I will get an AMP clamp from a buddy to measure Current draw while blasting 2 speakers (lids)... will report back  :wink:
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Gannicus

Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 14, 2015, 11:08:26 AM
After posing my questions about amps and speakers to you guys a few months ago across the road and you all recommended the PBR300X2 and the Infinity Kappa 62.11i. Oh no, :idea: I went out on my own and thought if this ones good (PBR) then this ones (T400) better.
Ill inforrmed decision?  :scratch:  Maybe. Impatient?  :scratch:  Probably. Rookie mistake?  :scratch:  Definitely.  :oops:

Gann seems to think the T400 will work. You have some doubts. AAWAV outright questioned it. The worse thing that can happen is it doesn't work, someone here gets a good deal on a bench tested T400, and I'm in the market for something different.  :banghead:  :cry:
I just want others to maybe hold off until AAWAV puts mine thru the paces so there isn't a fire sale of them on here.

If it's any consolation on my part, I did not stray from your speaker recommendation.   :teeth:

Dirt - If the T400 doesn't work out for you I'll take it off your hands.  I think it's a cool little amp.

dirtracin23

January 14, 2015, 04:18:58 PM #8 Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:27:15 PM by dirtracin23
Quote from: Gannicus on January 14, 2015, 03:36:57 PM
Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 14, 2015, 11:08:26 AM

Dirt - If the T400 doesn't work out for you I'll take it off your hands.  I think it's a cool little amp.

Gotta have faith.

Here's the timeline..............
It's gonna work.
That sucker better work.
Work you SoB work!!!
:teeth:

And, if it doesn't, that's not all bad.

Just gives us a reason to meet and have a beer to complete the transfer.   :beer: :beer: :beer:

Gnarl78

Following this thread and the test results. I also have a PBR300x2 powering Kappa 62.11i's. I'm pretty happy with the setup but occasionally I will get some distortion after it's been playing for a couple of hours. I'm wondering if it could be heat related (either my stock HU or the amp). As background I sent my HK HU out to Iron Cross Audio for repairs last year and they replaced a cracked board. The distortion/cutting out problem appeared to be gone, but now it comes back periodically so I'm suspecting the amp is distorting and then causing the HU to shutdown? So thinking about the T400 with the anti-clipping feature.
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965

UltraNutZ

hey bud.. welcome aboard..

To rule out the amp, I would disconnect it and run the speakers to the head unit and let it get nice and warm and see if it still does it.  If it does, then it's likely the HU, not the amp. 

dirtracin23

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 23, 2015, 06:09:14 PM
hey bud.. welcome aboard..

To rule out the amp, I would disconnect it and run the speakers to the head unit and let it get nice and warm and see if it still does it.  If it does, then it's likely the HU, not the amp.

The T400X2ad has a clipping indicator light. It does not have an anti-clipping feature, it will still clip. The light just makes it easier to set the gain as you can use it instead of setting by ear or with a DMM (in theory anyway). I just got my amp back today from AAWAVs testing. Before I sent it to him I set the gain with a DMM. I am going to do the same when I hook it back up and then set with the light to see just how close the two are.

UltraNutZ

another thing... were the riser bolts the cause of the cracked board?  and if so, did you change those to the shorter bolts?

Gnarl78

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 23, 2015, 06:27:51 PM
another thing... were the riser bolts the cause of the cracked board?  and if so, did you change those to the shorter bolts?

Moved over here 'cause I know I'd get some good advice.  :smile: The riser bolts were the most likely cause before, and yes I changed them out for the shorter bolts when I got my repaired HU back. (BTW Iron Cross Audio did a great job and even supplied the short bolts.) As much as I hate going back under the fairing to troubleshoot (fairing bolt holes getting elongated) it sound like it's the only way to isolate the problem. I'm not sure I will be able to replicate the heat though as it's pretty cold here. I like to do my audio projects in the winter so I'll have to wait for a warmer day.
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965