May 05, 2024, 10:29:26 PM

News:

Gas Tank Decal

Started by JB4530, March 19, 2009, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB4530

Getting ready to repaint my 05 Ultra. Taken off the gas tank emblems and want to put just Harley Davidson decal or custom lettering. Is there some place that has old and new designs to choose from? Been checking out the custom paint sites and like the lettering on some of the custom paint jobs there simple Harley Davidson, but there painted. I asked how they did it, design on computer, then cut the masking on vinyl cutter then paint what ever color you want. Not going to buy vinyl cutter and sure can't free hand it. Anyplace out there sell the masking so I could paint the logo on? Maybe sign comany.
Thanks

Coff 06

JP Cycles shows a lot of Harley tank emblems in their catalog.   Coff 06
06 FX Springer, 98",11/1,9B+4*,HPI 55/58 /5.3inj,HDSP Pro Street heads,123/118

seattledyna

J&P, Dennis Kirk both have a nice selection of tank decals in their catalogs

14Frisco

If you want a "real" Harley decal, then the dealer has a special catalog with tank decals that you can order.  Ask at the parts counter for the decal catalog.

chris haynes

V-Twin has a shitload of decals in their catalogue.
NRA Member
Costco Member
Iron Butt Association Member I can't Re Member

Ultraman

March 19, 2009, 07:46:21 PM #5 Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:51:26 PM by Ultraman
Just a note: I know that the OEM Harley decals can be clear coated... I don't know if J&P Cycle decals can be clear coated over. With out the clear on top the decals get rub marked from your knees very quickly.. cheeper decals will out gas after the clear has set causing problems in your paint.
07 Nightrain 103"   Calgary Canada   Gigity Gigity Gooooo!

seattledyna

its safe to clear those decals, the vinyl and printing process is compatable with most modern urethane topcoat clears, I have had no problems, as long as they are properly applied.

HDParrottHead

Check out Adventure H-D at  http://www.hmhd.com/   They lots of decals.

ramcr913

dablaze

Pretty much anything printed at a sign shop can handle the clear as long as it is printed on a Solvent based printer or a Thermal Foil printer (Gerber Edge)

Craig
Second Shift Cycle

Molly

Are the decals the 'water-slide' type? Do you remember those model planes you used to make as a kid and the transfers would just slide off after soaking? Bike decals like that would be nice and thin so clear coat over the top shouldn't show the edges. Also, I guess you'd want to be sure aftermarket decals wouldn't fade over time?

seattledyna

the decals talked about here will generally be the vinyl type, the only time I have done the oldfashioned "soak in water" type were on this vintage Indian Scout last year, but the owner was such a purist that no clear was to be applied, otherwise he would lose judged points :dgust:

gOOseman

Quote from: JB4530 on March 19, 2009, 05:02:42 PM

Getting ready to repaint my 05 Ultra. Taken off the gas tank emblems and want to put just Harley Davidson decal or custom lettering. Is there some place that has old and new designs to choose from? Been checking out the custom paint sites and like the lettering on some of the custom paint jobs there simple Harley Davidson, but there painted. I asked how they did it, design on computer, then cut the masking on vinyl cutter then paint what ever color you want. Not going to buy vinyl cutter and sure can't free hand it. Anyplace out there sell the masking so I could paint the logo on? Maybe sign comany.
Thanks

When I had my 01 FLHRCI repainted, I too wanted a decal on the tank rather than emblem. I liked one on the decals in the OEM book but wanted a different color variation that was not available. Paint guy had one scanned and reproduced the colors that I wanted. It was applied and cleared 7 years ago and I have been very happy with the results.

gOOseman
gOOseman
I'm not a gynecologist but I'll take a lOOk...