April 26, 2024, 02:10:47 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Chat about memory stick-thumb drive? Sony MEX-70BT

Started by Blackpearl#1, January 14, 2015, 02:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackpearl#1

Me and a few others here are new to music on a memory stick or thumb drive. I've read about too big and a few other issues, so really any input on them is greatly appreciated. Myself and tdgriff and a few others thank you in advance.
Kris

tdgriff

Quote from: Blackpearl#1 on January 14, 2015, 02:50:22 PM
Me and a few others here are new to music on a memory stick or thumb drive. I've read about too big and a few other issues, so really any input on them is greatly appreciated. Myself and tdgriff and a few others thank you in advance.
Kris
Hell this is great I dont even have to start my own threads to get help. Thanks Kris those stupid things are driving me crazy either I can't get them to work or if they do work they sound like crap. Thanks again .

AAWAV

guys guys guys  :emoGroan:
kidding....

tell "us" what you are looking for? guidance how to? a very broad question...
some tips - do not have a lot of time right now, sorry:
- do not put 2000-5000 songs on a drive for your bike - it will take way too long for the HU to "index" them... I got 500 and it takes about 1 minute to index so I can search (NOT WHILE DRIVING - be smart and don't kill yourself)
- your usb stick should be fat32 formatted - get a known brand, like kingston as a sample (too many scams on fleabay - crappy s.t or telling you you got 32GB drive for 1.99 - yeah - sure!)
- 8GB or perhaps 16GB usb stick is PLENTY.... no need to waste your money on bigger ones (Griff  :wink: :wink: :wink:)
- best audio quality when using MP3 files is getting the highest quality aka 320kb - not a requirement but better
- use MP3Gain to a. remove clipping on mp3 songs and b. make the volume of all your songs equal. I use 93Db setting - others 89-93; 93 is IMO best compromise between volume and reduced clipping. if you do not do this you might end up having to see a chiropractor to take care of your Harley Thumb (this is now a known illness, like a tennis elbow, golf elbow, etc) due to having to constanly adjust the volume for each song.
- make sure your MP3 files are tagged correctly (artist/album/song/genre). most HU's allow youi nowadays to simply play all "classic Rock" Genre tagged songs randomly... so you do not get tired of listening to J Bieber... it is always a welcome change to listen to M. Carey  :bike: :bike: :bike:) you can use freeware from the web for this like MP3Tag. even windows media player allows you to change them but it is a bit painful IMO.
- copy the files on the USB stick, no need (actually better) not to use folders and subfolder, the HU will index based on the Tag information. many many (sub)folders will slow down the indexing (happens each time you turn on the bike for most if not all HU brands)

my HU will play the last song it was playing after I turn the bike on,  so you do not have to wait for music, but you will have to wait a bit to change to play for example a different artist or album or genre....

hope this helps - more specific Q's, just post

if you are looking for info on how to convert your legal cd's to mp3's - GOOGLE it.... if you want to go that route - no further comment(s) on that.... :idunno:

'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Blackpearl#1

AAWAV, as usual. Thank you sir!!!! And I should have mentioned that I have Amazon and CD's as my source and tdgriff uses iTunes and CD's. Good thing is we have time to learn cause we are in WI. Did get a little seat time on snowmobile today!!!

ΚĜΗΟŜΤ

I have had 8 gigabyte, 16 gig both work just fine.

Now I am using a 64 gig BUT I ripping the music in the (WAV) LOSSLESS format which my head unit reads. This uses a lot more space but I feel it is as close to the CD quality as you currently can get. I don't have a lot of owned music so there is only about maybe 400 songs total and about 1/2 or so will be lossless.

I use Windows Media ver 12.076 and it has this option to choose under the rip settings. Just make sure your head unit is compadable...

I don't think 320kb is as good as they say besides I also have many songs that were ripped at lower kb and don't sound so good with a good system.

Just my two killer bytes.........lol
Member since 2004

Kryingame

On my Sony MEX, music stored on a memory stick sounds like crap.  There's to many steps to get them to sound good.

Now, I'll either listen to music straight off of Spotify (you can make a playlist there and then save it offline onto your phone).  Or, I'll use Poweramp which is a great app that I bought. 

Also, I now go old school, instead of using bluetooth to stream my music, I actually plug  my 3.5 from my phone into my headunit.  The sound quality is actually stronger than streaming and 100 times better than off of a memory stick.  JMO.
To many mods to tell...

tdgriff

Quote from: AAWAV on January 14, 2015, 03:31:34 PM
kidding....

- do not put 2000-5000 songs on a drive for your bike - it will take way too long for the HU to "index" them... I got 500 and it takes about 1 minute to index so I can search (NOT WHILE DRIVING - be smart and don't kill yourself)
- your usb stick should be fat32 formatted - get a known brand, like kingston as a sample (too many scams on fleabay - crappy s.t or telling you you got 32GB drive for 1.99 - yeah - sure!)
- 8GB or perhaps 16GB usb stick is PLENTY.... no need to waste your money on bigger ones (Griff  :wink: :wink: :wink:)
- best audio quality when using MP3 files is getting the highest quality aka 320kb - not a requirement but better
- use MP3Gain to a. remove clipping on mp3 songs and b. make the volume of all your songs equal. I use 93Db setting - others 89-93; 93 is IMO best compromise between volume and reduced clipping. if you do not do this you might end up having to see a chiropractor to take care of your Harley Thumb (this is now a known illness, like a tennis elbow, golf elbow, etc) due to having to constanly adjust the volume for each song.
- make sure your MP3 files are tagged correctly (artist/album/song/genre). most HU's allow youi nowadays to simply play all "classic Rock" Genre tagged songs randomly... so you do not get tired of listening to J Bieber... it is always a welcome change to listen to M. Carey  :bike: :bike: :bike:) you can use freeware from the web for this like MP3Tag. even windows media player allows you to change them but it is a bit painful IMO.
- copy the files on the USB stick, no need (actually better) not to use folders and subfolder, the HU will index based on the Tag information. many many (sub)folders will slow down the indexing (happens each time you turn on the bike for most if not all HU brands)

my HU will play the last song it was playing after I turn the bike on,  so you do not have to wait for music, but you will have to wait a bit to change to play for example a different artist or album or genre....

if you are looking for info on how to convert your legal cd's to mp3's - GOOGLE it.... if you want to go that route - no further comment(s) on that.... :idunno:

AAWAV  :wink:LOL well I think I got it now. Just for your info I got  a 8 GB now  :smilep:But don't relax just yet I'm sure I'm going to have some more questions for you.Kris. I think you should put some tunes on your snowmobile. I know don't give him anymore ideas  :hyst: Thanks again .

Blackpearl#1

Quote from: tdgriff on January 14, 2015, 04:32:52 PM
Quote from: AAWAV on January 14, 2015, 03:31:34 PM
kidding....

AAWAV  :wink:LOL well I think I got it now. Just for your info I got  a 8 GB now  :smilep:But don't relax just yet I'm sure I'm going to have some more questions for you.Kris. I think you should put some tunes on your snowmobile. I know don't give him anymore ideas  :hyst: Thanks again .

I actually have room for 2 6X9s in my dash pod on my sled, but I also have 165 not so tame 2 stroke screaming horse power.  Have thought about ear buds under my helmet like some of the guys but passed because when ya try to talk to them ya either gotta wait for them to get it turned down or scream at them, not for me. 
Kris