April 27, 2024, 09:31:58 AM

News:

TWIN CAM MOTOR - $750

Started by chopper, January 16, 2015, 01:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopper

Yeah it needs rebuilt, but seems like a great price to me. Wouldn't it part out for  more than that?

https://annarbor.craigslist.org/mpo/4825565002.html
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

MikeL

I would buy it if it was a 99-2002 because of the timkin bottom end and or if I really needed major cores.The crankshafts from those early years were decent. There are heads, jugs,and chrome stuff cheap allover the place for those years. I would offer $400

MIKE

PoorUB

Depends on what "needs to be rebuilt" means. It may be totally trashed inside. If the cases are shot and the cranks is bad there is not much left. Not much value in well used heads and cylinders.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

truck

Quote from: PoorUB on January 16, 2015, 05:47:06 PM
Depends on what "needs to be rebuilt" means. It may be totally trashed inside. If the cases are shot and the cranks is bad there is not much left. Not much value in well used heads and cylinders.
:agree:
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

mattVA

I've been looking for something like this to learn on. I've only gone as far as cams and would like a cheap motor to tear apart on the bench. Can't justify taking my perfectly good one apart in my bike until I have money and need to totally redo it.

EBay lowest I see is 800 for a motor that needs welding from an accident everyone else wants 1000 or more not including shipping.
2009 FXDF

N-gin

Will the cases work on a 07 dyna?
I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

N-gin

I'm not here cause of a path before me, Im here cause of the burnout left behind

tbird

Shipping will kill ya. Best to find a motor in your area, that you can drive to and pick-up. I have a 00 black A motor that needs a rebuild that I would probably let go for $750. I don't want to deal with shipping it.

Rags722

Then again, if it's a 99 or early 2000 with the bad inner cam bearings, you could be buying a $700 ash tray that has hardened chunks of ground up bearing in every bushing in the motor....  Not sure what the value on that would be.  If he is selling a motor with a serial number, but retains the title so he has a title for his frame, how does that play?  Worse yet, how does it play if his frame is later stolen and he reports that "VIN" as being stolen?  I worry about way too many "what ifs" don't I?

MikeL

If the inner cam bearing and or the left outer ball bearing failed the engine is definitely rebuild able. As for theft ask the seller for the serial number on the engine go to google run the number if it is stolen the number will come up as stolen.

MIKE