April 27, 2024, 04:49:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2012 Road King audio project

Started by Low Down, January 17, 2015, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Low Down

I've been wanting to get this going for some time now, but procrastinated on getting this rolling.  Now almost everything is ordered and should be arriving sooner or later!  Here's the goods...

Color matched vented lowers
CVO speaker pods
CVO speaker grills
Biketronics
-BT2180
-pair of Titan II 6.5" speakers
Kicker PXiBT50.2

Just need to get some polyfill and I should be good to go once I finally get the lowers in 3 to 5 weeks.

Stay tuned....

Low Down

And here's the bike it's all going on...

tdgriff

Nice good looking bike. I think you will be happy.

UltraNutZ

:up:

by all means bud, follow up and let us know how it turns out.  Good choice in equipment no doubt.  You do realize that once you start, it never ends right?   :hyst:   Next will be saddlebag lids.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Low Down

Thanks guys.

Hopefully the system will fulfill my needs... but maybe some speaker lids will happen at some point.  Ya never know, lol.

I did catch the bug pretty bad when I cut my teeth on doing car audio many moons ago.   :smilep:

Low Down

OK... so while I'm in a holding pattern waiting for all this kit to come in, I took the measurements of the BT amp and the Kicker and did some fab work on cardboard to see how this is gonna work in the spot I want to stab it.  The tray that's there now will have to be cut down for sure!  I'm thinking of using some 1/8" aluminum to make a tray that I'll secure to the remainder of what I cut out of the way to fit this stuff.  Any thoughts on how to construct it so it allows the gear to breathe but also protects the gear from the elements (this is a spot next to the battery on the right)??

:missed:

Low Down

Well chit... I'm the only one replying to my thread!   :wtf:

:hyst:

So that tray I mentioned, it's cut completely out now.  To obtain the best amount of space to mount a bracket that I fab for the gear, and to be able to protect it from the elements, I'll need to relocate the TSM.  Anyone have any experience with this?  It looks like I could get the TSM (and the harnesses for the O2 sensors) moved toward the front of the battery tray and secure it so it still functions like it should... that would open up a hell of a lot of space for me to place a secure mount for the bracket that will hold the BT amp and the Kicker. 

I noticed in another thread that the spot that I'm mounting all this is frowned on.  I'll be using a pre-filter to keep any moisture and dust at bay, so the more space I have to get this stuff covered up - the better.  What say you about the TSM relocate??

UltraNutZ

man I'll go on the record and say this.  I've pulled those side covers off before and it's wet/damp behind there after a ride or after a wash.  I don't think that's a good idea for a mounting location especially with such an expensive amp as the BT amp.  I would put that thing in the saddlebag if it were mine.  Just my .02   :idunno:

Gannicus

:agree: Saddle bag gets my vote as well.  Why take the unnecessary risk?

Low Down

From Biketronics:

"The Titan BT2180 enclosure is water resistant using a special baffle
system to prevent water from entering the custom enclosure. However,
please exercise good judgment when locating Titan to minimize
exposure to any potential source of water."

From Kicker:

The PXiBT50.2 Amplified Controller with Bluetooth delivers the weather-resistant, superior sound quality expected from KICKER powersports gear, while allowing users to enjoy their personal soundtracks without a head unit and through wireless Bluetooth.

Ideal for bringing entertainment to motorcycles, hot rods, UTVs, boats, golf carts, farm tractors, snowmobiles, ATVs or even riding lawnmowers."

I do appreciate the concern NutZ, and while using a saddlebag would seem like an ideal solution for someone with a RK, mine has Öhlins on it front and rear.  Anytime I ride with a passenger or add a significant load I'm moving the saddlebags to adjust the preload collars on the shocks... that would be a major pain in the dick if I had to mess with a bunch of wires anytime I needed to gain access to them.

My bracket will shield the electronics from water, and the pre-filter will add peace of mind keeping the air passing through dry and dust free.  Works for air filters on engines, yeah? 

:smilep:

I guess I'll temporally relocate the TSM and give it a shake down before making it permanent. 

UltraNutZ

no worries man.. just throwing it out there.

also am I mistaken in my thinking that the BAS (bank angle sensor) is located within the TSM?

Low Down

That is correct, NutZ.  I was taking a look at it in my PDF electronics manual, and that little bugger does a hell of a lot of stuff!  It also recalibrates itself any time the bike is started and run upright for .25 mile.  If the orientation stays the same and it's not allowed to move around, I should be golden.

Low Down

Got an email from the local Harley dealer... the lower fairings are in!  I'll grab those tomorrow and give the speaker pods a little love before I go make a trip for work.  Should be able to button this up Sunday.

:up:

Coyote

From my personal experience testing TSSMs, I don't think you can relocate its orientation.  But if you find that you can, please snap a pic and let us know.  :scratch:

Low Down

I did relocate the TSM and gave it a shake down... no problems, but I did not like how/where I had to stab it (in front of the negative terminal on the battery).  So it will stay in the spot it was intended to be, and I'll mount the BT amp and Kicker in separate spots.  Still not going in a saddlebag!

Low Down

Hey NutZ... I shot ya a PM this morning regarding some stuff I wanted your take on.  Don't worry about it, I went ahead and made a judgment call that'll give me peace of mind with the install.

I guess sometimes you just gotta help yourself...   :hyst:

Low Down

The system is installed, and working as advertised.... HOWEVER, there's some kind of electrical gremlin.  Seems to affect the preamp (kicker).  Crazy hum going the speakers.  If I disconnect the harness from the taillight/turn signals it totally disappears, if I only remove the relay that keeps the turn signals illuminated with the tail light the hum is removed, but when the right/left signal is activated I'll hear a ticking sound through the speakers.

Poor connections at the tail light?  Something else I'm missing?  Checked the ground in several places (have it going to battery), changed up the ignition source, you name it.... Anyone have this issue?  Funny thing is that this only affects the preamp.  I bypassed it by using a RCA to 3.5 mm cable to my phone to the BT amp, and no problems.  Just when the preamp is in the mix and there's power to the tail light.  Gonna tackle it more tomorrow.  Any suggestions appreciated!

UltraNutZ

sounds like a ground loop issue.  do you by chance have a custom dynamics load equalizer or rtb controller?

Low Down

This is what I had to remove to eliminate the humming noise:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-brake-running-turn-signal-conversion-kit-pa-11-6946106b--1

Took the tail light apart and cleaned the circuit board and wire harnesses... no dice.  I noticed during a ride that I was getting some interference through the speakers consistent with RPM, and the Bluetooth was cutting out intermittently.

:banghead:

If not a ground loop, I'm betting that the preamp is very susceptible to EMI.  Going to relocate it and see if there's any difference.  I'll check all the grounding points to ensure the connections are clean and solid.  Don't know what else to do...

UltraNutZ

Custom Dynamics has know EMI issues.  Check their website was my point

Low Down

There's no custom dynamics load equalizer on the bike.  Thanks anyway.

UltraNutZ

February 09, 2015, 08:18:43 AM #21 Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 08:21:02 AM by UltraNutZ
do you have ANY load equalizer or RTB light controller?  If so, unplug it and plug your rear lights back in stock format to test.  what you are describing is exactly what I've found with these modules in certain situations.

Low Down

Come on man, like I said before, I removed this form the tail light harness to eliminate the humming noise:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store/auxiliary-brake-running-turn-signal-conversion-kit-pa-11-6946106b--1

I'm about half way through relocating the preamp.  I had it installed below the tank where the top and bottom of the frame come together (on a piece of aluminum plate I fabricated and mounted above where the spark plug wires pass through the fame to the coil).  Now it's going on the back side of the aluminum plate I mounted the amp to.  I had reservations on installing the preamp so close to the coil, not to mention all kinds of electrical wiring for the bike... I guess I'll find out soon enough if moving it to a different location will do the trick.

Low Down

Don't know why the hell I'm posting this, lol, but I guess I'm tryin' to help someone who finds themselves with a similar setup/situation.

Relocating the preamp and grounding the amp/preamp to the frame ground post opposite of the one that has the lead for the battery helped a bunch... still a little noise, but not noticeable when the bike is running and the volume is up.

Still need to figure out what is going on with the Bluetooth cutting out intermittently (waiting on a call back from Kicker R&D), and I'll need to make a solution for the preamp to stay on long enough for the amp to shut down to avoid a pop in the speakers.  Maybe some kind of delay trigger or relay wired inline with the 12v ignition cable.  Right now I've got that cable going to a constant hot, and manually turning the preamp on before I flip the switch for the ignition, and manually turning the preamp off after the bike is shut down.

Low Down

Took a longer ride this morning and used my Ipod touch instead of the phone.   No cutting out.  May just be an Android issue.  I also should be receiving an Axxess Trigger later today so I can delay the preamp powering off when I kill the ignition.  It'll be nice not having to dick with it manually!

Anyway, here's the new look my RK is sportin' now...