April 27, 2024, 07:33:09 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

2015 FLHTK 4 speaker upgrade with Amp suggestions

Started by Bertk, January 19, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bertk

Ok got the gains set by DMM. Can't crank it up, people sleeping.

The speaker screws on the amp don't want to stay snug. Is it OK to put a tiny bit of lock tight on the top threads of the screws? The speaker wire ends are tined. 
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

any amp with screw in terminals, I solder/tin the ends of the wires to make them solid and I then blue loctite the terminals.  Only way I'm assured a good connection will stay a good connection.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Bertk

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

Thanks to a lot of help from the folks in this forum, the Amp & Speakers are installed, and amp gains are set with a DMM. Four Kappa 62.11i speakers & a Soundstream PN4.520D
I must say it sounds very good, and loud, to my the untrained ears. And that's with no flash performed to the HU.  :smile:
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Harleyguy UltraLimited

What did you end up using for the rear speaker spacers ?
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

Bertk

February 17, 2015, 08:00:55 PM #105 Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 08:10:19 PM by Bertk
Got the spacers from Amazon  for under $7 and used the Boom rear speaker grills PN: 76000324 $20 each from Kutter HD. The 4 small holes in the spacers had to be enlarged for the screws to slide through.
Using the Kappa 62.11i speakers, I did had to modify the grills.
First by reshaping the grill to clear the tweeter
[attach=0]
Second by removing the tabs inside the grill with a dremel tool so they would fit over the speaker frame and flat on the spacers.
[attach=1]
By removing the tabs, the screw hole ended up larger and had to use larger 8/32" x 1 3/4" screws.
I remove the the stock screw anchors and used the screw clips that came with the speakers. The screw clips hole had to be enlarged slightly for the SS screws I choose. Other screws will work as long as the head is large enough.
Here are what they look like finished. Well worth the extra work IMO.
[attachimg=3]

[attachimg=4]

[attachimg=5]
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

what did you use to manipulate that grill so perfectly?

Bertk

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 18, 2015, 06:07:48 AM
what did you use to manipulate that grill so perfectly?
PVC pipes. Started with 3" and worked my way down. Then used some old autobody skills. Sitting down I placed the grill on my leg and used a ball peen hammer to tap tap and smooth the rest.
[attach=0]

[attach=1]

[attachimg=3]
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

Bertk

Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Harleyguy UltraLimited

Great job for sure I think I found someone who can modify my grills when I finally pull the trigger . Great write also
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

ALUCARD19

I almost did the same thing I used the 2" PVC coupler and tapped it out with a ball peen hammer, my grills are the ones that came in the V-Twin audio VTTP 6.5" spacer kit.
Tool/die maker skills come in handy sometimes.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524