2015 FLHTK 4 speaker upgrade with Amp suggestions

Started by Bertk, January 19, 2015, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptJaC

I have a BT 2 channel amp, 7.1 speakers and Magic box driving the fronts but want to replace the stock rear speakers (no amp yet) and remove the magic box and get the flash. Does it matter if I flash it before I remove the magic box or after. I have a dealer appointment tomorrow but won't have time to remove the magic box/install the rears until Sat.

JaC
2014 Ultra Limited-Charcoal Pearl/Brilliant Silver Pearl
USAF-Retired(1987-2011)

UltraNutZ

just go ahead and have them flash it while it's there, tell them to disregard the way it sounds, just flash it and ride it home that way.   then you can do whatever you need to do once back at home and not have to worry about going back to the dealer.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Bertk

I'm installing the Kappa 62.11i, along with the SS PN4.520D amp.
What should the tweeters be set at 0dB or +3dB?
Running he Stock 6.5 HU on a 2015 FLHTK.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

UltraNutZ

You'll want to try them out before you button everything up but I've not found a reason to move it from 0db.

CaptJaC

Took my bike to the dealer for the 8 speaker amp1 N0 and amp2 NO flash.  I have BT 7.1 speaker and 2180 two channel amp  in the front and a pair of  Kicker 41KSC674 in the rear pods being driven by the stock HU (no amp yet) Thankfully I had the Rorckford directions printed out to reference as they had never done it before. But each flash attempt gave me a "rear speaker mismatch error" then the fader quit working.  Tried it several times and even called Biketronics .  They think that perhaps the new rears being 4 ohms are making the error and forcing the fader off.  After an hour the store was closing and I flashed it back to factory.  The fader then worked with no mismatch error.  I guess I will reinstall the factory rears and try again.

Any suggestion or comments would be welcome.

JaC
USAF-Retired(1987-2011)

UltraNutZ

UltraNutZ

disregard, I see now, Kickers.

that's very interesting to say the least.  Why would the impedance of the rear speaker (as long as it's not lower than what the head unit is capable of) generate an error and then disable the fader..   :scratch:

Bertk

Got the front speakers installed and set them to 0dB. Has to button it up for the trip to the dealer for the flash.

I looked for the rear speakers plug behide the radio and was unable to locate it. No 4 way plug with light blue wires. Could someone point out it's location from this pic?
[attach=0]
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

z71_fourwheelin

Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

z71_fourwheelin

A bike I recently did as well is not able to get the fader to work after multiple flashes from the local dealer. He is using the 40CS674 for his lower speakers
Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

UltraNutZ

well chit man.. the 2 or 3 14s I've done I used Kappas in all around and would have never thought that a 4 ohm speaker would cause these kinds of issues with these new head units.   :banghead: 

Only reason I recommend them is perfect fitment, sound pretty good, and can use stock grills back there.

CaptJaC

January 30, 2015, 06:58:14 AM #61 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 03:01:36 PM by CaptJaC
Sorta glad to know I'm not the only one that had issues.  That misery company thing. :smilep:

UN you are correct they are drop in replacements.  As for the stock grill it appeared that the tweeter housing was slightly rubbing on the stock grills, at least on mine.  The Boom Audio grills arrived last night and add the depth to eliminate the rubbing. 

Going back to the dealer today or tomorrow with the stock rear speakers installed to do the flash.  If it works, I will then re install the Kickers.

UPDATE:
With the factory rears and the BT 2180 /BT 7.1 speakers in the front the Rockford Flash did not get the speaker mismatch message as before but still lost fader control.

A couple of posts talk about ensure fader is active but nowhere did we so this option on any menu.  Rest it back to factory and fader came back. 
Im at a loss!!

JaC
USAF-Retired(1987-2011)

Harleyguy UltraLimited

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 30, 2015, 05:56:17 AM
well chit man.. the 2 or 3 14s I've done I used Kappas in all around and would have never thought that a 4 ohm speaker would cause these kinds of issues with these new head units.   :banghead: 

Only reason I recommend them is perfect fitment, sound pretty good, and can use stock grills back there.
The Kappa's are 2 Ohm speakers as per the speaker specs
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

UltraNutZ

yeah I get that.. my point was I've never put 4 ohms in there (14s and 15s) but in reality I don't think the impedance is what's going on.

I think it has to do with the amp1 and amp2 off flash.  What I haven't ascertained yet is whether amp1 is considered front and amp2 is considered rear.   :idunno:

joe_lyons

Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

CaptJaC

So here is exactly what we did.  We had to select number of amps 2.  This allowed us to get the 8 speaker option to appear.  Once it appeared we selected it and went to another page to say amp 1 OFF and amp 2 OFF then flashed the HU.  After flash no fader.  Tried this with amp 1 ON amp 2 OFF, Amp 1 OFF amp 2 ON, Amp 1 & 2 ON.  All resulted in the same no fader after the flash.  The fader is there and even allows you to select front or rear and actually lights up as it is doing something but it does nothing i.e. not fade nor show that it is fading by moving the dots.

At no time did we ever see an option to turn the fader control off or on.

JaC
USAF-Retired(1987-2011)

joe_lyons

Fader automatically comes on with front/rear speaker setup.
Powerhouse Cycle & Dyno - Performance is our passion 816-425-4901

UltraNutZ

Joe thank you sir.. was hoping you'd chime in here..

So CaptJac, what happens if you simply disconnect the rear speakers?

GregOn2Wheels

I hope that this isn't straying off the topic, but how important is it to have the fader?  I never change the fader on my 2015 FLHTK with the stock system, but I guess there is a chance I'd want to if I upgraded the speakers and added an amp.  This latest development with the 8 speakers and amps 1 & 2 disabled has me a bit gun shy about making any changes.

UltraNutZ

according to what I know and what Joe (i think he knows a thing or two about HD) confirmed above, when you enable the 4+ speakers, the fader is enabled.

Harleyguy UltraLimited

So maybe present bikes that have the fader working because we all ready front and rear speakers . If the tech just turns off front and rear amp the fader will work . Or do they still need to set it also to 8 speakers .
Proud owner
2014 Ultra Limited

Coyote

My Centurion only shows 5 selections. Two of them are for two channel, three of them are for 4 channel.  :nix:

Bertk

Went to the dealer yesterday and ask to have the radio flashed. The told me without an amp installed they can't make any changes. I said show me! They said no problem. I got to look at the screen and it showed no amps installed along with a lot of other information, and all other the tabs at the top of the screen were grayed out. After I asked to take a pic of the screen it was already disconnected. I can't complain because they didn't charge me anything. They said come back when the amp is installed, that would made a BCU see that a change was made and allow them to make changes to the radio. So that's where I'm at now with the flash.
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

January 31, 2015, 08:50:34 PM #73 Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:07:17 AM by Bertk
Installed the Kappa 6211i speakers on the outside of the fairing pods in the stock location. The Boom grills (PN 76000321 & 76000322) hit the tweeter pods. I modified the grills so they are not indented anymore. Now they work fine. Took it for a ride and they sound Awesome!!!  :baby:
[attach=1]

Tried to installed the 6211i in the rear pods and they bottomed out. I had to use double spacers included in both sets of speakers to make them work, temporarily. I ordered these spacers from amazon to try out. No way I'm paying v-twin $90 for spacers.  :dgust:
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Bertk

I took a 200+ mile ride yesterday with all 4 speakers installed, and no amp. What a huge difference!!!  :bike:
I could see how some folks would be satisfied with just speakers, but they do need more power.

Now to find the rear speaker wires under the fairing and install the amp.

Getting the radio flashed is going to be a PITA. Does anyone have a screen shot of radio screen on the Digital Tech?
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX