April 27, 2024, 12:30:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hawg Wired

Started by John/1, January 20, 2015, 07:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John/1

Any opinion on Hawg Wired,are they worth the $$$$.
John

UltraNutZ

Amps, handlebar control modules, other accessories, yes.  Speakers, no.  Lot better can be had for less money.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Gannicus

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 20, 2015, 07:59:32 AM
Amps, handlebar control modules, other accessories, yes.  Speakers, no.  Lot better can be had for less money.

Ditto!!

Sprint07

I have a 2009 Ultra Classic with their CS/ZX up front in the fairing and lowers and a CS/DX set up for the rear pods.

My wife and I love it and it's crisp and clear.  People have told me that the speakers hold the amps back a little, but I could not tell you at this point as I have never altered or changed the speakers out.

2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
2014 Electra Glide Ultra

stemp1

Had a 09 se roadglide with there 2 speaker set up & amp not too impressive, would not do it again

rageglide

February 04, 2015, 10:07:20 PM #5 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:17:44 AM by rageglide
I have HW Reference amp and speakers.  Overall I think it's a pretty good setup.  The source is critical IMO.  Radio blows, a real CD works great, using an ipod, you better not use a lossy mp3 and should also avoid using the AVC.

But, the speakers can easily be over driven, especially if you don't disable the HK's auto volume control.  Realized a couple times that the drivers were bottoming badly.  Oops.

Are there other speakers that would work with the HW amp and handle more power?  Hate to ditch my red speaker cones lol they look great through the grills... but not much bass and tough to really enjoy the tunes at freeway speeds with a free flowing exhaust.

UltraNutZ

red spray paint might help you.   :hyst:

seriously though, just about any good 2 ohm speaker is going to be a better performing speaker than the HW speakers.  Kappa 62.11i come to mind here.

AVC according to several of the bike audio manufacturers, should be set to either 2 bars or off.

use polyfil to wrap those fairing speakers

I agree, the stock head unit is not the greatest in the world of "advanced audio"

rageglide

February 05, 2015, 11:15:13 AM #7 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:20:17 AM by rageglide
haha I suppose so.  HW doesnt' sell red anymore. 

I am surprised to hear the HW speakers aren't highly spoken of.  I have the 6.5's and they don't seem to be ok, but then again my ears aren't exactly high quality anymore...   That said bass heavy stuff can be tough on the driver.   "Highway to Hell" beats the hell out of the drivers at less than mid volume unless Bass level is below middle.

After the initial install I found out real quick that the AVC was BAD news... disabled it right away after the first freeway ride.  1 is about the highest I've been able to get away with even with Bass lower than Mid.

Next time the fairing is off I'll look into changing them out and try adding some poly.

One thing for sure, listening to AM (sports talk lol) on the freeway is futile. 

UltraNutZ

didn't say they were junk bud, didn't mean to imply that either.. better than HT speakers for sure..

I think I've only ever referred to one speaker as junk and I won't repeat that name here..

rageglide

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 05, 2015, 11:23:24 AM
didn't say they were junk bud, didn't mean to imply that either.. better than HT speakers for sure..

I think I've only ever referred to one speaker as junk and I won't repeat that name here..

Sorry didn't mean to toss a bigger word at it than necessary.  I think they're pretty good for the most part, heck I can make my ears bleed cranking the volume up in the garage... But they definitely don't like big bass.

However, my ears are pretty much junk, I'll not concede that!