April 27, 2024, 01:03:13 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1977 ironhead front brake issue

Started by rider7816, January 20, 2015, 12:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rider7816

:emoGroan:
Hey guys,,

I have a new to me 1977 XLH.  I just put it back on the road after sitting for about 15 years.  Im having issues with the front brakes.  I have rebuilt the front caliper, new front brake line, and replaced the master cylinder with a new aftermarket unit. Im having issues getting any pressure built up in the lever.  I have manually bled the system about 5 times and vacuum bled the system as well.  It builds pressure and feels great, if I let it sit a minute or so it loses all pressure.  If I pump the lever a couple of times it builds pressure again..

Its driving me nuts.  Just out of curiosity, I noticed that some of the front brake caliper rebuilding kits there is some sort of small spring, my caliper has no spring and I cant see where to put one even if it did..

Anyone have any help with this???

Frank :banghead:

Panzer

There was someone who had an issue bleeding brakes such as yours.
Their suggestion was to clamp the lever to the grip and let it sit overnight.
That way it gets all the air out of the line, if there is any.
Spring??  Can't help you there.
You do have a manual don't you?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Racepres

Either yer shiny new ~ MC is Junk, or you have a Leak...If the rebuilt OE MC did the same thing...I'm guessing leak...
What brake line?

Panzer

Using the right fluid I assume?  :scratch:
Just a thought.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Racepres

Quote from: Panzer on January 20, 2015, 07:28:41 PM
Using the right fluid I assume?  :scratch:
Just a thought.

Absolutely...Should be dot 5...If Mixed...well you got problems.

rider7816

Thanks for all the replies.  Yea, I had to replace the original m/c with a ~ one... I couldnt find and decent factory replacements and mine was unrebuildable.  I definatley used DOT5 fluid as I use it in all my bikes.  The front brake line is a 6" over, ACELL rubber brake line, which was brand new.  I also rebuilt the front caliper and verified that it has no leaks anywhere along with full movement of the piston. 
Im gonna try the gravity blead thing and get back to you guys.

Frank

HarleyGuy4657

Try this. Take a large syringe and a short piece of hose and fill the syringe with brake fluid. Loosen the bleed off and attatch the hose and syringe to the brake bleed and fill everything from the caliper up to the master cylinder. The air bubbles want to go up the line anyway and this will push them if any to the resavor . Have had this problem with a dirt bike that I had and it was the only way I could get them to work. Hope this helps :banghead:

rider7816

Quote from: HarleyGuy4657 on January 21, 2015, 06:17:42 PM
Try this. Take a large syringe and a short piece of hose and fill the syringe with brake fluid. Loosen the bleed off and attatch the hose and syringe to the brake bleed and fill everything from the caliper up to the master cylinder. The air bubbles want to go up the line anyway and this will push them if any to the resavor . Have had this problem with a dirt bike that I had and it was the only way I could get them to work. Hope this helps :banghead:

BTW,  thanks for the advice and this too didnt work.   I got so frustrated with it I tore the caliper apart again and wasnt putting it back together until I figured out the problem.

End result, the original piston was the problem.  It looked fine and I didnt "feel" any problems after using emory cloth on it, but, I replaced it with a new piston and problem was solved.

Thanks for all the help

Frank