2014 FLHXS stereo upgrade question

Started by stuey922, January 21, 2015, 11:02:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stuey922

Hi all,
I know this subject has been beat to death but whats one more thread among friends. After reading hundreds of posts and opinions and first hand experiences. I have decided to install a pbr 300x2 amp and infinity 62.11i speakers in my 2014 FLHXS.Cost was a major factor in helping me make my decision. What I would like to know is what exactly are the settings I need to set on the amp? Is there anything else I need to purchase for this install.and what flash do I tell the dealer I need? I know this information is probably out there but it would be nice to have it in one place.
Thank you for any and all help you can offer me.

sonnlaw

Rockfords website has instructions for the dealer flash. Print and take it with you. Youll need adaptor rings for the speakers. I'm sure UN will respond with amp settings.

UltraNutZ

stuey922.  check out the sticky at the top of the audio forum for setting your amp.

the choices you made will put a smile on your face when you think about the amount of $ spent.

no adapter rings are needed for the 14 models but you do have a choice to make on the mounting.  The speakers will mount either inside the pod by taking the pod apart and mounting from the inside or you can mount them on the outside.  If you mount inside, you can retain stock grills.  If you mount outside, you will need to replace your stock grills with boom audio grills.

as for what else is needed: 
6' of 10ga red battery wire
6' of 10ga black battery wire
a fuse holder
a 25a fuse
maybe 4' of 18 or 16ga speaker wire (your choice)
battery wire color is your choice.  I simply use red and black to follow DC wiring logic.

the flash you want from the dealer is 8 speakers, amp1 - off, amp2 - off

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

dirtracin23

Many install kits come with plenty of power wire yet only 3' of ground wire which is not enoughto run from the amp all the way to the - post on the battery. Since I my install kit came with almost 20' of 10ga power wire in red, instead of buying black ground wire, I just put about 4" of black shrink tubing at each end of my red "ground" wire do differentiate the two.

Just a thought to save you a few $$$.

I know, I know, I had a hard time overiding my OCD on this one.
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?

UltraNutZ

Quote from: dirtracin23 on January 21, 2015, 12:52:31 PM
Many install kits come with plenty of power wire yet only 3' of ground wire which is not enoughto run from the amp all the way to the - post on the battery. Since I my install kit came with almost 20' of 10ga power wire in red, instead of buying black ground wire, I just put about 4" of black shrink tubing at each end of my red "ground" wire do differentiate the two.

I know, I know, I had a hard time overiding my OCD on this one.
:up:

stuey922

One more quick question.. My buddy has the same bike and we are both doing speaker and amp upgrades. He is leaning towards a hogtunes set up that he says is plug and play no flash needed. What are your thoughts on the hogtunes.

UltraNutZ

the older stuff (speakers) i didn't care for.  Not sure how much if any they've improved over the past couple of years though.  The amps are pretty good amps, at least the pre-14 models were.

The plug n play, yes most of HT stuff has been PNP over the years.  As for the flash, I don't personally know how Pez has combatted the crappy audio setup on these bikes without requiring some sort of flash.

stuey922

OK...thanks for the info..I am going to go with my original plan and save the $150 extra it would cost me to go with hogtunes.

Bertk

I like the colored shrink tubing idea!!! :smiled:
Ride Safe, Bert
2015 FLHTK & 2008 FLHX

Eglider05

Quote from: Bertk on January 21, 2015, 07:53:01 PM

I like the colored shrink tubing idea!!! :smiled:

A couple wraps of red electrical tape will do the job too.

Rick

stuey922

Is there any difference in sound depending on if i mount inside or outside the pods? I dont mind paying for the boom grills, I was thinking mounting outside would be the easier way to go.

UltraNutZ

HD Doobie

I would say it all depends on what looks better to you. Boom grills or stock grills.  I like the stock ones..... and I'm a cheap ass..lol. So I mounted mine inside.  Pretty easy actually.

dirtracin23

Yeah, those Boom grills are gonna set you back about $70 +/- for the pair.
A cold beer, a hot woman, and a fast Harley
What else could a man possibly need?