May 02, 2024, 04:32:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

What gear?

Started by firehog383, March 19, 2009, 10:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firehog383

I see most dyno runs are done using 5th gear on a 6 speed and 4th gear on a 5 speed. Why is that? I s this the recognized standard? Also is SAE or STD the preferred correction? Just curious.
2007 FLHX 113 CI sold
2012 FLHXSE3

FLTRI

You will get a plethora of opinions here.
As a tuner I always try to eliminate as much parasitic loss as possible for evaluation runs, which means I try to used whatever gear nets a 1:1 ratio through the transmission (1 turn input shaft = 1 turn output shaft)

6 speeds come 2 ways; overdriven 6th (ie: .86:1) and direct drive (1:1) - So if the 6 speed is direct drive 6th, that's what I try to use. If it is an overdriven 6th then 5th will be the direct drive (1:1) so that's what I will use.

5 speeds are most all direct drive 5th so that's my choice.

For tuning runs during AFR and timing adjustments I usually opt for 4th gear which keeps the rear wheel speed down for less possibility of tire issues.

So I will start with a base line run prior to tuning in 1:1 then finish with a 1:1 comparison run to end the session.

As I mentioned there will be many opinions,
Bob Lobenberg
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

mayor

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

firehog383

Thanks, with my 07 SG, we gained 3-4 HP and tq peak numbers, but the print outs were in 5th. So I was curious as to what the standard was or if there is one, same goes for SAE, STD and uncorrected.
2007 FLHX 113 CI sold
2012 FLHXSE3