April 28, 2024, 09:51:41 AM

News:

2012 FLHTK system advice

Started by bteski, January 22, 2015, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteski

Hi I am new to the touring bike I just bought a 2012 FLHTK & love the radio but want to make it better, After much research it looks like I am going to use the Biketronics  2180 amp with the 7.1's wrapped with polyfil  in the fairing with the plan to add the 6.5's in the lowers in the near future after I acquire the parts to do this & have them painted. I will be using the Harley radio for the time being.
I plan to run the tour pack pods on the head unit & will make the tour pack removable @ some point in time. Should I change out the rear pod speakers they are in good shape is there anything to gain by changing them.  Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thx Bob
My friend says having a fast Harley is like being the smartest kid in summer sch

UltraNutZ

if you're going to make it a removable tourpak, I would just leave them.  If you want to improve them and retain the stock pod grills, take a look at the kicker CS674 as a replacement.

and on the BT stuff..  :up:   you'll be very happy with that.  I'm assuming you're speaking of the BT 6.5" speakers and if so you're golden, if not then make sure whatever you put down in the lowers can A) handle power and B) are 4 ohm.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

bteski

yes all Bike tronic in the front the only thing I didn't think about was some type of tweeters in the dash if I added some what would you suggest & what to drive them with,  I don't plan on ever putting speakers in the saddle bags I need the room for trips so I don't think the 4180 would be needed for the extra channels,  everything will pretty much be up front but I would like the tour pack pods to be okay, this sound is for riding not sitting.
Thx Bob
My friend says having a fast Harley is like being the smartest kid in summer sch

UltraNutZ

my suggestion would be install the fairing and lower speakers before you decide on tweeters.  Many have gone down this road only to regret it and be left with holes in their fairings afterwards.

bteski

Thx when I was looking @ hdrolling's post about his setup I thought I better check about tweeters while I'm in the planning stages biggest thought was what to drive them with & if I needed to change from the Biketronics BT-2180 to the BT-4180 to be safe. The tweeters that go in the place of gauges looked pretty clean & you could back up from there.
Thx Bob

UltraNutZ

realistically speaking, what I like in sound quality is way different from what you like and vice-versa.  These BT speakers have some pretty bright tweeters on them so that's why I always suggest doing the speakers first then add tweets if you feel the need to do so.

Tweeters have little to no effect on impedance/ohm loads that the amp will see so you can hook them up to the amp without issue.  I would however suggest you simply hook them up to the front outputs of the head unit.