Aquatic A/V AQ-MP-5BT-H Finally Arrives

Started by UltraNutZ, January 22, 2015, 01:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltraNutZ

January 22, 2015, 01:43:21 PM Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:53:01 PM by UltraNutZ

Going to "stick" this temporarily so it will stay up top.

Guys this introductory unit is finally here.  For a period of time (not sure how long) it will be exclusively available through (and some of you may remember this name) DragonFly Cycle Concepts.  So if you want it, get in touch with Kevin @ DragonFly.

http://www.aquaticav.com/marine-audio-visual-products/marine-stereos/aq-mp-5bt-bluetooth-marine-stereo/

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Coyote

vhmike73

FINALLY!!

Though I thought DF was out of business or something! I wonder what the prices will be; if they'll be what you were told last year, or if they'll be markedly different.

Can't wait for the UBT version...

UltraNutZ

my understanding is in the $349 range for this unit and the upgraded unit slated for release in April will be in the $599 range.

UltraNutZ

Quote from: vhmike73 on January 22, 2015, 02:53:01 PM
Though I thought DF was out of business or something!

just for the record RE: Dragonfly.  I haven't talked to Kevin in quite sometime (probably mid last year) but did finally talk to him yesterday in great length.  I knew he was still taking orders and providing product to customers (and providing refunds to customers as requested/required to keep them happy) as I've seen that info posted in several places but simply figured if he wanted to talk to me he knew how to reach me.  The bottom line is he ran into some trouble with the under-handed dealings of an ex-employee that caused great financial stress to his company.  That's all I'll say on it.  If he wants to elaborate that's his call.

Bottom line is he's gotten his head back above water and is still rockin-n-rollin.  He and Sean are getting product in, getting product out, and still providing the level of service I've come to know DCC/Kevin for so hat's off to him  :up:  for not giving up under adversity. 

vhmike73

Glad to hear he's sorted things out. I know there was a lot of mudslinging and his radio silence on that other forum didn't help the musings.

And even better, now there's another option in the direct-fit HD radio segment...so there's two pluses in one!

vhmike73

DragonFly Cycle Concepts has some pics of the new AQ-MP-5BT-H on their Facebook page. They include the deck overall, and what it looks like in a batwing fairing. Unlike the Jensen HD1BT, Aquatic AV positioned the 23-pin connector on the left (where it is on the HK; it's actually the right rear if looking at the face of the deck) so the factory wire harness won't have to be stretched too much like it does with the HD1BT! At least we have some visual of what the deck will look like installed, and what the overall unit's appearance is with the pics they've posted.

https://www.facebook.com/DragonflyCycleConcepts

Unfortunately, they don't list their actual pricing on their FB page, and their site isn't updated to reflect this deck yet. Still...there's another "plug and play option" now!

A few personal musings:

Aquatic AV states on their own website (UltraNutZ linked to it above) "Fits most smartphones and media devices including Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and iPhone 6 Plus"...if that's actually true, this is DEFINITELY going to be my next head unit, and my Jensen will be put up for sale. I will personally wait until the 5UBT comes out. UltraNutZ was told the 5UBT-H will have a color LCD, BT, Sirius, USB, AUX In, 4v RCA inputs (2 pair as opposed to the one pair of 2V inputs on the 5BT) along with "iPod/iPhone navigation" (on screen??) and the ability to hold the device inside the deck. It would also be cool if the satellite radio functionality uses the SiriusXM SXV200V1 (or SVX300V1) tuner (single wire connection) like the Jensen does. I will say that Ultra's later info from Patrick at Aquatic AV did NOT mention satellite radio (I'm digging through old posts on that other site for his reports), but if they're putting out a full "bells and whistles" model, I would think satellite radio would be part of that. I guess we shall see in April!

UltraNutZ

January 26, 2015, 06:14:50 PM #7 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:15:20 AM by UltraNutZ
forgot to mention this, my bad.  They're (DragonFly) also about to release a completely redesigned website so stay tuned for that.  Kevin mentioned that the site he has now hasn't been updated in a while and it's a pain to maintain/update but he has been updating facebook regularly.  I don't get on facebook so I'd never see it..

rbferg

I had a Aquatic AV head unit in my boat for several years, it stayed wet and I never had a lick of trouble with it. They're very well made stereos in my opinion. I'll probably go this route when the upgraded unit is released.

R_einan

January 28, 2015, 08:30:01 AM #9 Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:16:24 AM by R_einan
This certainly looks like a better choice than the Jensen that is currently available.  Can't wait to hear what people have to say about this unit after they have a few miles (and rain storms) on them.  Really helps me with my decision to go with a Sony or the Jensen; Neither if this works as advertised. Anyone know if it will have AVC control?
RE

ALUCARD19

Quote from: R_einan on January 28, 2015, 08:30:01 AM
This certainly looks like a better choice than the Jensen that is currently available.  Can't wait to hear what people have to say about this unit after they have a few miles (and rain storms) on them.  Really helps me with my decision to go with a Sony or the Jensen; Neither if this works as advertised. Anyone know if it will have AVC control?

You didn't mention Kenwood Hu they are some very good units, also if you go to V-Twin Audio you can get the mounting kit with the splash/rain cover to keep the unit dry incase of unexpected moisture.
"A Hole is a Hole is a Hole",  Where Eagles Dare
         AMA Life Member #35524

R_einan

Quote from: ALUCARD19 on January 28, 2015, 10:42:24 AM
Quote from: R_einan on January 28, 2015, 08:30:01 AM

You didn't mention Kenwood Hu they are some very good units, also if you go to V-Twin Audio you can get the mounting kit with the splash/rain cover to keep the unit dry incase of unexpected moisture.

I looked at the kenwoods also, but want to stay away from a rain cover if at all possible.  I ride rain or shine and don't want to fuss with covers and the like.  I also really like the storage type head unit concept.  I considered the head units with the USB input in the rear and wiring it into a saddlebag also, but cost for cost the add-ons make it a wash in my opinion.
RE

ALUCARD19

The cover goes on or off in 5 seconds or less and I purchased my KDC-x798 for only
$158.00 new in box with free shipping and it has front and rear USB connection. Just saying.
         AMA Life Member #35524

UltraNutZ

after I decided I was going to spend the $100 (or close to it with shipping) on the Vtwin shield, I decided WTF and put it on to test it with my Sony DSX unit.  I sprayed the crap out of it with a garden hose and not a drop of water entered through the edges of that shield.  Money well spent IMO

ALUCARD19

That's the one I got and it looks like it will do the job, plus the mounting kit is plastic and makes for a nice place to mount my amp.
         AMA Life Member #35524

Gannicus

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 28, 2015, 02:51:17 PM
after I decided I was going to spend the $100 (or close to it with shipping) on the Vtwin shield, I decided WTF and put it on to test it with my Sony DSX unit.  I sprayed the crap out of it with a garden hose and not a drop of water entered through the edges of that shield.  Money well spent IMO

+1 on the V-Twin Splash Cover!  Excellent!