April 28, 2024, 02:22:04 AM

News:

Aftermarket head unit

Started by bteski, January 22, 2015, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteski

Boy this has turned into a runaway snowball since I'm doing a Biketronics Amp looks like 4180 just in case I add their tour pack pods in the future, BT 7.1 in the fairing,  BT 6.5 in the lower's,  Instead of sending the stock head unit to Iron Cross I might go ahead & try an aftermarket head unit. I'm looking @ the Kenwood KDC-BT858U, I know a lot of people have been running Sony's but I understand the Kenwood's might have a better track record for reliability.
I'm wanting to gain Ipod control, Blue tooth, usb port for a flash drive, I am playing a cd & an Ipod plugged in the front of the stock head unit now as it's the best source's I have.
The big downside I see is I have a Zumo 665 that is wired to the stock head unit & it will give me driving directions over the Stock HU so I would lose that.
Any thoughts on head unit recommendations would be appreciated & on the Navigation connection.
Thx Bob
My friend says having a fast Harley is like being the smartest kid in summer sch

UltraNutZ

I've run both myself personally and I have no preference either way.  They each do more than the other in certain areas.  Just a matter of what you want.  Only requirement I tell folks to look for is 4v or higher  RCA outputs.  other than that, matter of preference.  Both Sony and Kenwood units have held up well for me, no issues there.

as for the Zumo, I've paired it with both units in BT mode and the TBT directions come through just fine.  The big difference from the stock is having to select the AUX source which means your music won't be playing.
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

tdgriff

I have had both myself. I like the Kenwood more. I think it has a cleaner look. I like the rear USB port and all the different color options. I have the 798 and love it . Still trying to dial it all in . If you want better sound go with aftermarket. If I was you go on YouTube and look up the head units you are interested in.