April 27, 2024, 04:01:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Awesome News for D Class Amps That Interfere with FM

Started by Kokes58, January 23, 2015, 10:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kokes58

January 23, 2015, 10:22:22 AM Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:25:39 AM by Kokes58
I have a Cerwin Vega B4 and a Cerwin Vega B2 amplifier installed on my 09 Ultra. From the day I installed them there has been interference on the FM signal which I knew was a possibility.  I had order Custom Dynamics LED turn signals and their LED Load Equalizer.  I received them today. In reading the directions for the Load Equalizer I saw a note, "If there is interference on CB or FM stations on touring bikes, move the black wire from the negative of the battery to the right side grounding stud on the bike's frame directly in front of the battery box.". In one of the reviews on Amazon an individual wrote "save yourself time and just connect the ground wire to the grounding stud."  I figured I would try the ground wires from the amps to the grounding stud as well to see if it made a difference on the FM signal. IT WORKED!!!!! I know get a good FM signal. The grounding stud is a little difficult to initially see due to wires being in the way. You have to remove the battery to get to it. Here is the Custom Dynamics Instruction link which has a picture of the grounding stud along with some pictures I took.  http://www.customdynamics.com/instructions/signal-stabilizer-standard-fuse.pdf. One note the grounding stud nut is a 10mm. Not sure why Harley used a meteric size for this nut.  I hope this helps those who are having FM a signal interference.

USAF Retired 1987-2007
100% Disabled Vet - Bronze Star Receiptant

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Gannicus

January 23, 2015, 10:43:09 AM #2 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:04:38 AM by Gannicus
Potential game changer . . . To echo Nutz's sentiments. Thanks for sharing!

z71_fourwheelin

Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

UltraNutZ

I would but I don't even have an antenna cable, let-alone antennae on my bike.   :hyst: :hyst:

z71_fourwheelin

Kw X598, SS 4.520, 4x MM651

AAWAV

tried it yesterday - my RZ4 lost just a few stations (I ran thru the whole range with I had the BT2180 hooked up).
Keep in mind I got HD Radio capable HU on my bike.
I lost 94.1, 100.5 and 104.3 with my RZ4 (RUNNING PIONEER Wire Antenna!!!!!!!!) with thre RZ4 and they did not come back with the chassis grounding  :emsad: :emsad: :emsad: 
now - I do not care for those 3 stations and in general do not care for FM anyway....

I guess it is a hit and miss here as well... Good for the OP....  :chop: :chop:
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Kokes58

Thanks AAWAV.  I agree I think it will be hit and miss. I know I didn't get back each and every channel but I did get back the big stations.  I have the stock HU. Will be curious as other may try it.
USAF Retired 1987-2007

Bagger Vance

I'm going to give it a try on my RZ.  The interference isn't too bad now, and I don't listen to FM, but might as well get the FM back if I can.  Thanks for the tip!
2009 Street Glide - "Vance"
103ci stage 3 with lots of goodies

Bagger Vance

BTW, has anyone tried to run 2 antennas in parallel to try to boost reception?  I have an internal antenna in my fairing and the stock lead is sitting right there even though the antenna is not screwed in at the back.  I could reinstall a stock antenna and lilt it forward under the side moldings and it would not be seen.  I don't listen to FM but thought maybe someone might know and learn something if they were wondering the same thing.

UltraNutZ

did the exact same thing with the J&M antenna and the HD antenna and both combined with the stocker actually made it worse in my experiences

Bagger Vance

Kokes58

I have not tried 2 antennas in parallel. However for some reason the previous owner of my bike installed two radio antennas instead of one radio antenna and one CB antenna when he made the tour pak removable.  Since I don't have a CB antenna installed to use the CB, I put TNC to antenna plug adapter on and use the CB coax. I don't know if there is a difference in the standard radio coax and the CB coax, but the CB one seems a little thicker so I'm thinking it is possibly shielded a bit more. I would like to replace the stock coax with heavy shielded coax.  I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but might be worth the try. Any thoughts?

Jerry

Quote from: Bagger Vance on January 26, 2015, 11:27:35 AM
BTW, has anyone tried to run 2 antennas in parallel to try to boost reception?  I have an internal antenna in my fairing and the stock lead is sitting right there even though the antenna is not screwed in at the back.  I could reinstall a stock antenna and lilt it forward under the side moldings and it would not be seen.  I don't listen to FM but thought maybe someone might know and learn something if they were wondering the same thing.
USAF Retired 1987-2007