Where should I set the crossover on my Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D

Started by Riveroger, January 24, 2015, 08:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riveroger

I have a 13 ultra with stock HK head unit. I recently installed a Power Acoustik RZ4-2000D amp to power 2 infinity kappa 62.11i in the faring and another set in the lowers. I have been trying gain different settings not sure if the AVC could affect setting the gains. I have no clue where to set the crossover switch anyone set up this amp?

vhmike73

Frankly, I think the gains should be set to "F" (Full). That's how I have my gain settings (both F&R). I'm running Biketronics BT71P in the fairing and BT471 6.5" in my lowers (in parallel) off the front channel and Pioneer TS-D1602R 6.5" speakers in the Tour Pak pods and Pioneer TS-D6902Rs in the speaker lids on the rear channel (in parallel). When the amp is in F (Full, or all range), the audio sounded fantastic.

JUst one thing to consider: I think my wiring harness rubbed against the end of the Razor amp in my fairing, and shifted my front crossover to H (high pass), which makes my audio VERY bright- the low end signal is not getting through. (The front channel control is closer to the inner fairing in my install) Just keep that in mind as well. I have the Jensen HD1BT as my head unit, and the wire connector's location makes things VERY tight with the Razor amp on top of a head unit (Jensen needs to fix that- maybe Aquatic AV did it right and put the 23-pin connector in a similar location to stock). An observation: running the factory wire harness over the top of the amp/head unit won't allow me to put my outer fairing back on, so I've got is stretched tight along the same line that the harness runs for the HK unit- the problem is, I think it rubbed against the end of the amp and moved the x-over selector to H, which caused the audio to be WAY too "bright" sounding. Since it's barely been at freezing around here lately, I haven't bothered looking to see what's actually going on in my fairing yet, but that's my suspicion. (The bike has been in "storage" since Veteran's Day, the last day I rode).

haze324

For the Kappa's gains should be around 10-11 o'clock, and you can set to Full pass and lower the bass a bit on your head unit. This will give you a fuller/better over all sound.  If you want MAX volume I found that HPF lets you crank it a little louder when going on the highway, but obviously it's a brighter sound lacking some low end.  I think with two sets of speakers you have plenty of sound coming at you with that powerful amp.  I'd set the gains on Full Pass and just lower the bass on your head unit a tad.  Those infinity get VERY loud with that amp.

Riveroger

Quote from: vhmike73 on January 24, 2015, 08:49:46 PM
Frankly, I think the gains should be set to "F" (Full). That's how I have my gain settings (both F&R). I'm running Biketronics BT71P in the fairing and BT471 6.5" in my lowers (in parallel) off the front channel and Pioneer TS-D1602R 6.5" speakers in the Tour Pak pods and Pioneer TS-D6902Rs in the speaker lids on the rear channel (in parallel). When the amp is in F (Full, or all range), the audio sounded fantastic.

JUst one thing to consider: I think my wiring harness rubbed against the end of the Razor amp in my fairing, and shifted my front crossover to H (high pass), which makes my audio VERY bright- the low end signal is not getting through. (The front channel control is closer to the inner fairing in my install) Just keep that in mind as well. I have the Jensen HD1BT as my head unit, and the wire connector's location makes things VERY tight with the Razor amp on top of a head unit (Jensen needs to fix that- maybe Aquatic AV did it right and put the 23-pin connector in a similar location to stock). An observation: running the factory wire harness over the top of the amp/head unit won't allow me to put my outer fairing back on, so I've got is stretched tight along the same line that the harness runs for the HK unit- the problem is, I think it rubbed against the end of the amp and moved the x-over selector to H, which caused the audio to be WAY too "bright" sounding. Since it's barely been at freezing around here lately, I haven't bothered looking to see what's actually going on in my fairing yet, but that's my suspicion. (The bike has been in "storage" since Veteran's Day, the last day I rode).

Good point on the harness rubbing on x over switch. Got to ride today just over 80* today but the amp didn't sound right so off comes the faring. Thanks

Riveroger

Quote from: haze324 on January 24, 2015, 09:07:02 PM
For the Kappa's gains should be around 10-11 o'clock, and you can set to Full pass and lower the bass a bit on your head unit. This will give you a fuller/better over all sound.  If you want MAX volume I found that HPF lets you crank it a little louder when going on the highway, but obviously it's a brighter sound lacking some low end.  I think with two sets of speakers you have plenty of sound coming at you with that powerful amp.  I'd set the gains on Full Pass and just lower the bass on your head unit a tad.  Those infinity get VERY loud with that amp.

I set the gains as the manual instructed ended up at 1 o'clock way too high and the crossover is in the wrong position. I will fix it tomorrow. Thanks

Gannicus

I agree with Mike and Haze. . .  Full  on that amp.  Gains on the infinity's is going to be about 11:00 as Haze stated. Very powerful amp at 2 ohms.

Mike is right about the harness hitting the switch. Same thing happened to me.  Once.    lol

Riveroger

Quote from: Gannicus on January 25, 2015, 02:22:04 AM
I agree with Mike and Haze. . .  Full  on that amp.  Gains on the infinity's is going to be about 11:00 as Haze stated. Very powerful amp at 2 ohms.

Mike is right about the harness hitting the switch. Same thing happened to me.  Once.    lol

Got up early this morning moved the switches and set the gains by ear. Going to be  75* today so I will test it out morning riding to the motorcycle swap meet. Here is the info on the swap meet if anyone near so cal is interested usually a few hundred vendors.

http://www.socalcycleswapmeet.com/event-dates

Gannicus

75  :emoGroan:  I wish.  Bout 40 here. Should be a nice ride. Let us know how it shakes out with the new settings. 

Riveroger

Ok got it closer, question should I set the fader to the front set the gain then do the same for the rear separately? Or center the fader and both? This new to me so may be basic knowledge. Thanks

UltraNutZ

Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

Riveroger

separate makes sense. Does it matter where the AVC is set? Using iPhone thru on the move interface. Thanks for the advise

AAWAV

Set to Full pass unless you got stock HU. Then turn on HP. If aftermarket HU then use LPF if it has it otherwise drop your lowest frequency on your EQ. I set my pioneer to HPF on 63 or 80hz. Have not decided yet on which one it will be for the long run. Keep in mind it is just a 12 db Butterworth filter so not cutting it out. IMHO you are wasting power to deep low freq. You will not hear anyway... unless you got speakers supporting subwoofer level lows. Plus it will save your speakers getting beaten up... I playing some alternative rock and hard rock metal and I could not really notice a big difference between AP and the 63 /80 hz filter.
'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

Riveroger

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 25, 2015, 12:37:48 PM
separate
Took my time set the gains per your instructions. couldn't be happer sounds amazing. Thank you

UltraNutZ

AAWAV

I stand corrected. AP it should. My former polks had the stalk meltdown and where rubbing the cone. Creating sound as if speaker was distoring on low freq. Bt71. AP and only AP... it is...

Gnarl78

Quote from: AAWAV on January 31, 2015, 07:08:29 PM
I stand corrected. AP it should. My former polks had the stalk meltdown and where rubbing the cone. Creating sound as if speaker was distoring on low freq. Bt71. AP and only AP... it is...

Just catching up on this thread. I was wondering why you were recommending HP setting with the stock HU?
'08 FLHTCUSE3, '05 VRSCSE, '03 FXDL
IBA#58965

Gannicus

LOL. . . I'd say since my friend AAWAV posted that info on a SUNDAY he had a very good Saturday night!

UltraNutZ

Quote from: Gnarl78 on February 01, 2015, 06:17:55 AM

Just catching up on this thread. I was wondering why you were recommending HP setting with the stock HU?

because he had a set of speakers he thought were incapable of handling the low end frequencies so it was set to HP.  Turns out the stalks on the tweeters were the issue and the amp would have been fine set at AP if his speakers weren't jacked up.

AAWAV

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 01, 2015, 08:52:08 AM

because he had a set of speakers he thought were incapable of handling the low end frequencies so it was set to HP.  Turns out the stalks on the tweeters were the issue and the amp would have been fine set at AP if his speakers weren't jacked up.

YEP! the world famous Polk MM651 Stalk(ing) meltdown....  :wtf:
running BT71s now and put the AMP on AP... they'll take whatever you throw at them... VERY HAPPY  :bike: :bike:

Gnarl78

Quote from: AAWAV on February 02, 2015, 03:52:08 PM
Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 01, 2015, 08:52:08 AM

YEP! the world famous Polk MM651 Stalk(ing) meltdown....  :wtf:
running BT71s now and put the AMP on AP... they'll take whatever you throw at them... VERY HAPPY  :bike: :bike:
Are they the 75 W RMS ones? Supposedly they sound the same as the P1's. How would you compare against the Polk's? Any more bass? Any concern with your amp overpowering? I'm considering swapping out my 62.11i's for them. They'd be powered from PBR300x2. Your thoughts, please?
IBA#58965

UltraNutZ

you referring to the 7.1 vs the 7.1 Pro?  No they don't sound the same at all.  IMO the Polks are no comparison

Gnarl78

Quote from: UltraNutZ on February 03, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
you referring to the 7.1 vs the 7.1 Pro?  No they don't sound the same at all.  IMO the Polks are no comparison

No. On the BT site they show three 7.1 speakers. I was referring to the two lower priced ones at $149 and $269. If I recall correctly they look the same (says they sound the same) but the lower version has a lower power rating and am wondering if I can drive it with the PBR and should it be an improvement over my Kappa's. I assumed the pro's are the top of the line, but they're outside my budget.
IBA#58965

UltraNutZ

ah.. keep forgetting about those.  Ya know as much as I've bought and installed from BT over the years for myself and others, never even thought about giving those a whirl.  I'd be interested in some first hand experience with them as well.