May 01, 2024, 06:42:53 PM

News:

Am I running rich???

Started by able2222, March 20, 2009, 07:41:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

able2222

05 Carbed Softail Deluxe â€" Fat Cat 2 into1 and Screaming Eagle/K&N Air Cleaner
ICC  air/fuel needle knob adjusted to 1 3/4 turns out
Slow jet 46 High speed jet 190

Reading from 2V setting on Voltmeter from a Harley two wire sensor at operating temperature â€" no load.

RPM          Voltage Range
900 (Idle)    .852 - .867

2000            .898 - .911

3000           .922 - .932

I'm thinking that I'm running pretty rich...should I try to tune it with the idle adjustment knob or
change the slow jet?

Thanks for your input.

FLTRI

Wish it was that easy. A couple points:
No load AFR measurement isn't indicative of what is happening when riding the bike.
You are working off the needle when riding the bike more than the pilot jet.

Unless you have shimmed the needle with a washer to raise it about .040"-.050" you will be lean @ cruise.

The main jet is more than likely to big by at least 1 size. The MOCO does this to compensate for the excessively lean cruise AFR needed to pass emissions.
Your pilot jet is probably fine.

In conclusion,
You may just be better off to follow tuning guidelines (recommended jetting) available here as well as other sites and verify the tune by the seat of your pants as the narrow band sensor you are relying on is not meant to quantify AFR richer than 14:1 and you will want to looking for 13.0-13.5 @ WOT for main jet size...under load of course.

Hoping this helps,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

able2222

FLTRI
Thanks for the response. I'm running a sportster needle (don't think I shimmed it). Think I'll drop to a 45 slow jet and go ride it and see what numbers I get. The plugs and bung plug on the header are pretty sooty and my mileage is in the high 30's so I think I can go leaner without hurting anything.

FLTRI

Sportster needle with a 175 main aught to get you close with the 46 pilot.
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Jeffd

Bob, I am curious what do you find happens to the afr at WOT for each drop in main jet size? ie if say at 190 main you are pretty much 13.2 what would going to 185, 180 etc.