April 28, 2024, 01:41:43 AM

News:

Metra 2014+ retro kit reviews?

Started by JTNC110, January 28, 2015, 03:20:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTNC110

Has anyone tried this kit or know of any end user reviews online?

I don't think these stock head units will ever produce great sound compared to aftermarket for several reasons number one being the lack of EQ adjustability.

I think the kit for sale at biketronics looks slick but concerned about not getting the oil pressure or EITMS info.  Not a huge fan of the supplemental display on the metra kit but at least it addresses the issue. 

It would be great if someone would come up with a way to display this info on an aftermarket head unit in the future.

UltraNutZ

I've used Metra and Scosche products for many a years dating back to the 80s and they're quality kits no doubt

When I first saw that kit, I really didn't care for the AXXESS display and thought to myself why the hell didn't they just make that area like a 1/2 din size to put like a EQ or Crossover in but then soon after realized why.  there's no room behind it.  :-)

Looks like a nice kit and I'll certainly use it if someone comes in wanting to replace that HD stuff..
Politicians are like diapers.
They need to be changed for the same reasons

AAWAV

OP: if interested make sure you do your homework on the web regarding pricing - I know of certain "Vendors" that will mark up (heavily)...

'99 Fatboy & '13 SG (DECKED OUT) - Audio Fanatic

4nic8

I'm more interested in getting an iPad mini in there to replace my infotainment system, but that also has its drawbacks

JTNC110

UN - Have you heard of anyone ever mounting a mini-EQ up front with the amp?  Thought maybe I could dial down some of the midrange that way.   I know adjustments on the fly wouldn't be possible and it may seem like a PITA to adjust but I'm thinking that might be an alternative while I wait for more 2014+ head unit options to develope.

UltraNutZ

ya know.. one of my favorites devices of all time is the Kenwood KGC-4042A.  1/2 din 5 band EQ, single input, 3 output, variable crossover and variable sub volume.  They stopped manufacturing these some time ago but after about a year long search, I found 2 NIB so I bought both of them.  1 is in my truck the other waiting on me to decide whether I wanted to put it on the bike or not.  My reservation all this time is simply the "openness" of the controls.  Moisture, dirt, etc. IMO will tear this thing up in short fashion.  This is why I chose to go with the Rockford 3sixty.3 and mount in tourpak with my amps.  Plug this thing in via USB to your computer and all 8 channels are adjustable independent of each other so in essence you literally could have different eq parameters for the left fairing speaker and the right fairing speakers (among others).  It's installed and has been for a while now just stopped playing with it after a while because I couldn't quite get it where I wanted it to be.  I ordered all new test equipment a week or so ago, scope, wave form generator, spectrum analyzer and some test CDs for pink/white noise so I can get this set once and for all "by the book" and regardless of what my ears say and I'll be done with it.  Pretty damn cool device that 3sixty.3 is.

daveblank

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 29, 2015, 01:05:03 PM
ya know.. one of my favorites devices of all time is the Kenwood KGC-4042A.  1/2 din 5 band EQ, single input, 3 output, variable crossover and variable sub volume.  They stopped manufacturing these some time ago but after about a year long search, I found 2 NIB so I bought both of them.  1 is in my truck the other waiting on me to decide whether I wanted to put it on the bike or not.  My reservation all this time is simply the "openness" of the controls.  Moisture, dirt, etc. IMO will tear this thing up in short fashion.  This is why I chose to go with the Rockford 3sixty.3 and mount in tourpak with my amps.  Plug this thing in via USB to your computer and all 8 channels are adjustable independent of each other so in essence you literally could have different eq parameters for the left fairing speaker and the right fairing speakers (among others).  It's installed and has been for a while now just stopped playing with it after a while because I couldn't quite get it where I wanted it to be.  I ordered all new test equipment a week or so ago, scope, wave form generator, spectrum analyzer and some test CDs for pink/white noise so I can get this set once and for all "by the book" and regardless of what my ears say and I'll be done with it.  Pretty damn cool device that 3sixty.3 is.

Wow, I saw this & it reminded me I still had this beast in my toolbox. I've had it for years. It's been used in a couple of builds of mine.

Kenwood KGC-6041

2008 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob

UltraNutZ

twas the shanazzle back in the day... :-)

JTNC110

Cool.  That little 5 band is about the size I was thinking.   

Yeah when I was a teen if you had an amplified EQ with the dancing lights and a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck of your car, you had a sweet system. ;)

daveblank

Quote from: UltraNutZ on January 29, 2015, 03:59:56 PM
twas the shanazzle back in the day... :-)

I a;ways loved that little beast. Sad that it just sits in my toolbox in the garage. Maybe I'll put it on flea bay someday.

Quote from: JTNC110 on January 29, 2015, 04:22:27 PM
Cool.  That little 5 band is about the size I was thinking.   

Yeah when I was a teen if you had an amplified EQ with the dancing lights and a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck of your car, you had a sweet system. ;)

I can remember those days.
2008 FXDF Dyna Fat Bob